Safety issues with elevating a table saw?

Kranzpj

I'm 6'3" and considering buying a table saw. I found my enjoyment with the craft increased leaps and bounds when I built a 48" high workbench (sawhorses and MDF for now). I picked 48" since it's the height of my bent elbow and it's completely relieved back fatigue. I'd like to extend the same strategy toward a new table saw, but there doesn't seem to be any elevated bases for table saws on the market.

Anyone see any safety issues with building a 12" platform on which to put the saw? Obviously I'll make it sound enough to support the weight. Has anyone seen a telescoping platform on the market?

Thanks!

• Like 1

why does it have to be telescoping? how often will change the height of the tmachine?  if you want to raise it up then just build a solid platform under the saw then you just have to get it up there.  ramps and few solid backs will work because once you get it there you wont ever move it. 

I'm 6'3" and considering buying a table saw. I found my enjoyment with the craft increased leaps and bounds when I built a 48" high workbench (sawhorses and MDF for now). I picked 48" since it's the height of my bent elbow and it's completely relieved back fatigue. I'd like to extend the same strategy toward a new table saw, but there doesn't seem to be any elevated bases for table saws on the market.

Anyone see any safety issues with building a 12" platform on which to put the saw? Obviously I'll make it sound enough to support the weight. Has anyone seen a telescoping platform on the market?

Thanks!

Im 6'-4" and the current table saw i have is jacked up similar to what you are wanting to do however im considering a new table saw and it will be a cabinet saw so im not sure how that will work out. I currently have a contractors saw which doesnt weigh nearly as much as a cabinet saw. Just temember the saw base will need to have a wide foot print in order to be stable. 

• Like 1

Kranzpj,  I don't see a need for it to telescope.  What you're looking for is stability and with a higher center of gravity, maybe consider the base being weighted (fill box with sand?) and wider like Jimmy suggested. I made a mobile base for my cabinet saw and used outriggers for the wheels that gives extra stability.post-2896-0-58978700-1360501252_thumb.jp

• Like 1

why does it have to be telescoping? how often will change the height of the tmachine?  if you want to raise it up then just build a solid platform under the saw then you just have to get it up there.  ramps and few solid backs will work because once you get it there you wont ever move it. 

I guess it's doesn't have to be, but it would be awesome.

• Like 1

you could get a bench top model ts and build a workbench/table saw stand to suit. If you're looking for a heavier ts some model's legs are easily removed.

That's a good idea. I was thinking about going with a cabinet saw for dust collection though, so it probably has to be more of a platform.

That mobile base appears to be a standard ShopFox Mobile base.  I have one and it works well.  One thing to think about is, are you really going to be moving your table saw a lot?  I have a mobile base on mine and I really don't need it.  If it is going to be a stationary, there really is no need for it. 

That mobile base appears to be a standard ShopFox Mobile base.  I have one and it works well.  One thing to think about is, are you really going to be moving your table saw a lot?  I have a mobile base on mine and I really don't need it.  If it is going to be a stationary, there really is no need for it. 

I probably won't be moving it around alot, but I was considering the base purely to get a couple inches of height of steel.