Powermatic or Sawstop

sbarton22

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting back into woodworking after a giving it up nearly 10 years ago due to a very busy family life. My first major tool purchase is going to be a table saw. I've been doing a lot of research and have settled on a Saw Stop PCS. I'm only a hobby woodworker so I'm not going to notice some of the hairsplitting on some of the features of each saw. I simply want a great saw that will last a lifetime. Given two saws of equal quality then to me I simply view the additional safety feature as insurance. However it is insurance against a lot pain, surgery and loss of full use of my hands and loss of income from my job. This insurance is easily worth the premium of the SS. If it was a trade-off between quality and the safety feature I'd think twice, but from everything I've read it seems to top quality with additional safety.

From what I can see they have been very successful and are selling to schools and other institutions. This gives me the confidence that they'll be around a long time. Some argue that someone may be careless with a SS and not respect their tools. I simply cannot imagine that I would ever want to drop my guard and rely on the SS.

I've been discussing this decision with various friends and co-workers. It seems everyone knows of someone who has had an accident. Very similar to motorcycling where everyone knows someone who has had some sort of accident. I'd love a motorcycle but the consequences are just too high. Same with a saw blade accident.

At this point you just need to go with your gut as to which is better. Powermatic is a proven name, and SawStop has the additional "safety" feature. Both should provide a good, serviceable life. Oh, and neither will likely be your "last" saw you purchase. I see they have CNC saws coming down in price....

As far as getting them into your basement shop, you can disassemble further if needed. All the saws and bigger equipment I've purchased needed additional assembly, and with the exception of my bandsaw, no piece was too big to carry by myself. You can definitely get it moved with the help of a buddy or two. Assemble in your shop.

CNC saws?

Word to the wise...saws are heavy. Invite friends!

I had to call my brother and his friend over to get the dang thing in the basement!

I would like to thank everyone for helping me ask the right questions. 

Now...I believe I need to start saving my pennies for this CNC business that someone so kindly planted a bug in my ear.

CNC saws

Giben - SCMI - Selco (Biesse) - Schelling - Holzma - Holtzer - Meyer

Their entry models used to be at around 60K when I used to sell them, now maybe less.

I sold Giben, Selco and Meyer ... years ago

Not a cnc saw thats a electronic saw. A cnc "saw" would be something along the lines of a half million dollar Holzma. I'm pretty sure their talkin about cnc routers.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also in the market for a new saw and have been looking at both. I am leaning towards the SS. My biggest problem is trying to find the value of my current Delta unisaw. Its a 3 hp, "white" 52" biesmeyer fence, mobile base with a delta outfeed table. its in great condition. Anyone have any ideas? I have searched craigs list and ebay and there is not much out there to compare. My big reason to switch is better dust collection.

I am also in the market for a new saw and have been looking at both. I am leaning towards the SS. My biggest problem is trying to find the value of my current Delta unisaw. Its a 3 hp, "white" 52" biesmeyer fence, mobile base with a delta outfeed table. its in great condition. Anyone have any ideas? I have searched craigs list and ebay and there is not much out there to compare. My big reason to switch is better dust collection.

If you like your saw why not just fix the dust collection. All the PM and SS has over the unisaw is a plastic schroud around the lower part of the blade with a hose connected to it. Im sure you could adapt one or make one real easy. I wouldnt expect a huge improvement but its a little better.

A recent craigslist for 3HP delta /w Biesmeyer was around $1K in our area -- it was reported to be in excellent condition.

We too have the same exact thing in Imperial, MO.  Not too rare I guess!

I'm not sure what smbobby is looking for though.  I think he has one already.