wood working challenge

duckkisser

Well, I finally got my one board foot chalange done yesterday and gave it to my friend today.

It measures 7" x 10" x 1-1/2" thick so, at 105 cubic inches , I'm well within the limits.

Most of it is plywood. I used some good quality 5/8" birch ply for the center section and some 3/16' cherry ply for the covers and some solid cherry wood for the hinge area.

As for tools, it was mostly table saw and scroll saw work with a bit of drill press in the hinge area.

The lettering was done on the scroll saw and the lettering was stained with cherry stain which made it look a lot more red and they are recessed about 1/64" from the surface. I lined the interior with "peel & stick felt.

The "gat" belongs to my friend and he came up with the title for the "book" so I gave him the box.

http://s193.photobucket.com/user/rapidroger/library/War%20and%20Peace

Hope the pictures  come out OK. I'm not used to posting more than one at a time.

Rog

Well, I finally got my one board foot chalange done yesterday and gave it to my friend today.

It measures 7" x 10" x 1-1/2" thick so, at 105 cubic inches , I'm well within the limits.

Most of it is plywood. I used some good quality 5/8" birch ply for the center section and some 3/16' cherry ply for the covers and some solid cherry wood for the hinge area.

As for tools, it was mostly table saw and scroll saw work with a bit of drill press in the hinge area.

The lettering was done on the scroll saw and the lettering was stained with cherry stain which made it look a lot more red and they are recessed about 1/64" from the surface. I lined the interior with "peel & stick felt.

The "gat" belongs to my friend and he came up with the title for the "book" so I gave him the box.

http://s193.photobucket.com/user/rapidroger/library/War%20and%20Peace

Hope the pictures  come out OK. I'm not used to posting more than one at a time.

Rog

I hate to be the one to point this out, but you have a typo.  It's spelled "War & Piece"

:)

The wood hinge is cool.

Actually the idea came from Steve of WWMM ( Wood Working for Mere Mortals) He was making a jewelry box that looked like a book. I kind of liked the idea and thought I could improve on his hinge method. As I was working on a prototype, a friend dropped by and mentioned that it might be a good place to hide his home defense weapon. Well the only thing better than a good idea is TWO good ideas! And then Duckkisser came up with the "board foot challenge" so it all came together and as they say.....The rest is history.

I had designed and made a jewelry box for my wife several years ago using a similar hinge style and really liked the way it looked.   

Me248.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

rob im guessing your making a miniture alter :) .

No, but it does begin with the letter "A".

0320131419.jpg

An abacus.  Used up a few offcuts of sapele, padauk and walnut, plus some short dowel scraps. I shot this as a quick snapshot, hoping to set up a properly lit picture later.  Silly me...my daughter ran off with it and promptly decorated it with press-on gemstones.

Fun little project.  Thanks for organizing this, DK.

• Like 1

Here's my maple box. The ugly parts cut off some hard maple boards. A lot of blue color and some really nice striping in the wood.  I wanted to play a round with veneering so the top and bottom pieces are maple burl veneer on 1/4" plywood.  I made a press to do this, but I think if I did more of it I would want a vacuum bag.  Finish is BLO and shellac.

2xM4OH3l.jpg

GJbRLKxl.jpg

z80XTcrl.jpg

buW6UMwl.jpg

Here's my maple box. The ugly parts cut off some hard maple boards. A lot of blue color and some really nice striping in the wood.  I wanted to play a round with veneering so the top and bottom pieces are maple burl veneer on 1/4" plywood.  I made a press to do this, but I think if I did more of it I would want a vacuum bag.  Finish is BLO and shellac.

Take a look at Joe Woodworker he has all kinds of info on vacuum presses and pumps. Plus a link to supplies and parts to build your own.

Coly Hrap, duck!  

And Roger, and MD, and Rob.... 

Going to reserve judgement on Cindy, since she only posted teasers... :)

I'm sorry I didn't participate, but I'd never have gotten shop time.  It's snowing again today.  This morning, there was snow on the car but nothing on the ground, and it was great weather to work in the shop (outdoors).  five hours later.... nope, not getting wood.

Here is my project.  It is a lamp made of African Mahogany, overall dimensions are 14.5" h x 11" x 11".  The shade is made of Dura-Lar, a polyester drafting material, with an overlay of handmade paper (purchased, I did not make the paper).

The disks are 7.25 inches in diameter x 7/8" thick which I bandsawed to rough dimensions then turned on my lathe.  There is a 1/4" hole through the disks which I used to hold them on the lathe using my pen mandrel.  The top disks are joined together using a dowel through those 1/4" holes.  The hole in the bottom disk was enlarged to 3/8" to accept the threaded brass pipe which holds the light fixture.

The vertical pieces are 1/2" square by 11" long with notches cut using a router.  The feet were shaped using a bandsaw, they are joined via half lap cut using a router.  The verticals are held to the top and bottom disks using dowels.

The hoops are made from mahogany edge banding, about 6 layers, heated to glue them together into solid bands.  The purchased edge banding was 7/8" wide and I cut them into strips 3/8" wide and 1/4" wide with a bandsaw, then made the hoops.

The project comes in at 141 cubic inches which barely makes it under 1 board foot.  But, the calculations are done as if the disks were square so I guess it does make it.

The finish is Mahoney's Walnut Oil followed by his oil/wax mixture.

Cindy

post-5342-0-06443900-1364493312_thumb.jp

Thanks, everyone!

Graham - I can't claim the design, I found it in a book, however just about everything about it was a new technique for me, including the electrical so I learned a lot.  In the process I learned how to repair a hanging lamp that we own and after a big spark learned why to keep the exposed wires short and what the purpose of the cardboard sleeve is.

Vic - I would love to see your design!  The paper that I used was quite transparent and flimsy on its own.  The polyester sheet behind it was perfect to diffuse the light and give it some structure.  I had thought I would have to glue the two together but that wasn't necessary.  I used a 25 watt lightbulb which is just about right for this light and doesn't give off too much heat.  The polyester sheet is good though because it is heat resistant.

Thanks, Duck for starting this challenge.  I have had this project in mind for nearly a year and this was the impetus to finally do it!

Cindy

Two of mine are being designed around a two or three foot T5 fixture for vanity lighting and the others are for T8 Circline fixtures.  I have some opaque acrylic I plan to use.  I need to find the best adhesive for the paper on to the acrylic still.  I plan on trying to melt the acrylic into shape.  May even implore stainless steel pop rivets.