Sewing box plans?

Joe Eagar

I would suggest that you go to a big box store and buy a cheap plastic fishing tackle box that has dividers and a cantilevered tray. You could look at it and measure it and then scale it up to the dimensions to suit your build and use thin plywood to build a prototype. By the time you have built the prototype you will pretty well know the in and outs of the build and have a much better idea of what you like and don't like about it.

Then go for the gold and get some good wood to make the final box. That sounds like a lot of trouble but, it will be worth it in the end and be something you can be proud of. And it will make the next one even easier to build. :)

For me, designing and building one off things is half the fun of woodworking. :)

Rog

Part of the problem is that to be "competitive" with plastic versions (otherwise my Mom would never use it), a wooden sewing box would have to be built from fairly thin stock (no more than one or two eigths of an inch, I suspect).  I wonder if I could build something up from veneer, almost like fiberglass. . .hrm. . .

I must admit, this is pretty vexing.

The problem is that plastic sewing boxes are so good.  I doubt that any shaker wooden versions would be as good.  I like Roger's idea of finding a fishing box and copying it, though.

But a plastic box looks and feels like plastic, which for many (like me) communicates cheapness. You might find that the care and attention you put into the box competes quite well against something extruded from a factory in China.

You might start by watching one of these on basic box making. http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/57011/basic-box-making

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/56997/two-ways-to-build-a-box

Once you can make a box all you need to do is screw on some arms to make it fold out and put on a handle.

Im actually planning on building one soon, it sounds like mine is going to be considerably larger though. I forget what my plans call for exactly (iv been putting it off for a while) something around 12" x 27" and about a 12" tall not including the barrel top. 4 flip top compartments in the top/lid, one main door in the front for large spindles and stuff like that. And a 2" drawer for the base.