15. Get the white out

• 5 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 4 replies
    • 8.2k views
  16. Staining End Grain

• 7 replies
    • 13.3k views
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 60 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    R Parekh
    Newest Member
    R Parekh

• Topics

• Matt Cremona sells workbench kits out of slabs so you're not the first person to have this idea. They're a lot more expensive but they are dry. 
    • Hey everybody. I'm in the heart of horse country here in Kentucky and I'm lucky enough to have some inroads to some prominent farms. Basically my buddies on these farms know I'm a woodworker and are saying 'show me what ya got.' Secret thing is...I don't really have that much (shhh). Recently I made the garden obelisk pictured below and put it on my buddy's property. What I'd really like to get into is making things, anything they might want for the farms themselves. Does anyone have pictures or ideas about what kind of ornamental structures would be appropriate for horse farms? I don't imagine I could provide anything actually functional because all that stuff is already covered (I assume) so the best place for me to aim is 'ornamental.' I brought the below pictured obelisk out to my buddy's farm but the only place it looked right was in the house yard. I'm def open to your suggestions as to what make and entertain my buddies with. Thanks a ton! PS. I think I spoke too soon because I've already had someone suggest great things I can make that actually ARE useful to daily operations. I suppose I'm thinking along the lines of something one farm owner would see and think, hey, I want that on my farm. I'm thinking something unique, but anything that would sell works for me.  
    • I'd pull four wires to the outlet box.  That way, I can wire it for a 240V outlet, or swap out the breaker and wire two 120V outlet circuits.  I've re-arranged my shop a few times and needed to change 240V outlets into 120V and visa versa.
    • I have dreams of building a Rubio-style bench this year or next. I'm exploring the option of making the top out of a couple of slabs. I reached out to a local sawmill. They offered can cut me a couple 4 1/2" x 12" x 8' slabs out of green oak for a couple hundred bucks (total I think, might be each). I asked over the phone about other woods and they said they might have some hickory. The person on the phone wasn't very confident, so I plan to go visit. I'm seeking thoughts on any of the following: * I've worked with oak plenty and I worry it's too porous for a workbench top? * I don't have experience with hickory but understand its very hard? * I'm shooting for a 7' top and assuming I'll lose some of the slab ends to checking - is 8' long enough? * What sort of overage should I be thinking on the width and thickness? Is 1" enough? * I'm guessing there are particular ways to mill the slabs out of the tree that are preferable and not so preferable? * Any thoughts on how long I'm going to need to air dry a "green" slab? If I go the slab route, I doubt I'll find anyone with the right slab already dried. Maybe I try to arrange a kiln dry? * Am I just nuts going the slab route? * What am I not thinking of? Thanks in advance.  
    • I hear you. I have tried every which way and they won't give in.
  • Popular Contributors