Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 08/02/10 in all areas

  1. 45 points
    Warning: long and possibly boring monologue ahead...feel free to just look at the pics if you're not interested in my life story... This project was farther down in the queue than a number of others I've been thinking about, but a series of events guided me to push it up to the fore. About a year ago, a huge tree fell on our house (a white oak...befitting that white oak was used in this project, although that was purely coincidental). Anyway, the long and short of it is that it was a complete PITA that stole away a big chunk of time that I would have rather spent in the shop. The tree tore through five of the trusses on a gable end of our roof, and a branch poked through my boy's ceiling. When the tree hit the ground it flipped towards the house, and a branch approximately 6" in diameter tore through our master bedroom wall and smashed our bed. Yeah, that's right. Fortunately no one got hurt...the wife and kids were in the kitchen on the other side of the house, and I was at the grocery store. This is what I came home to (which wasn't nearly as disturbing to me as the lack of roof I now had)...but this is what's relevant to the project: So we were without a bed. Didn't matter...we were to spend the next three months in a hotel while everything was sorted out and the house was put back together. The crushed bed was actually a bit of a blessing (the only one in the entire debacle), because it was getting kind of old and we were wanting to finally upgrade from a queen to a king anyway. And insurance paid for the replacement...the agent didn't even flinch when I sent him the receipt for an expensive king when we had a ten year old queen. He didn't care. "Get the same brand and that's all I'm interested in." Cool. Marc had released the videos on the awesome bed he made just a few months prior to this, and that got me itching to build one too, before the tree had even fallen. Can you imagine if I had built it right away and finished it before the tree fell? OMG Just kill me at that point. Here's the @thewoodwhisperer 's bed for those who haven't seen it. Very cool piece. http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/king-size-bed/ I had been watching Doucette and Wolfe videos all summer at the hotel, and I just loved the cherry and curly maple, frame and panel bed they built. By early fall I was feeling a little burned out and stressed from all the work on the house, kids going back to school, work getting into the busy season, etc...and I wasn't feeling all that creative at the time. So I settled on building a similar design as the D&W. If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. http://www.doucetteandwolfefurniture.com/Frame_and_Panel_Bed.html I made enough changes that I feel like they're two different beds, but D&W get credit for all the creative elements. The main difference is in proportion, where their bed sits fairly tall, which gives it a more traditional look IMO...I wanted to lower the profile a bit - and make it slightly stockier - for a somewhat more contemporary look...and I think that was achieved. Obviously I used different species, but other than that, I followed their lead pretty closely. I have a lot of thoughts about how the proportions changed the look of the headboard/footboard panel arrangement, but I'll hold off on that unless it's brought up down the line in this thread. That may or may not bore people. I'd been working on a couple sketches the same week that I got a call from the lumberyard...new shipment came in...you gotta see this walnut. So I headed up there and found the perfect pack of lumber that would easily cover the material needed. It was like divine intervention because I didn't have enough 8/4 of any species in my stash to cobble together the whole bed. That wouldn't really be ideal anyway because the color and grain of the mixed bag of boards would be all over the place. I was on the hunt for the right material and it just descended from the sky at exactly the right time. It was time to get to work. And I did. For like a few days and then I was totally sidetracked by work. I started this project just before Thanksgiving. Did most of the milling and final sizing of the parts, borrowed a Domzilla from a buddy and finished most of the joinery...then it sat as a stack of parts on my bench for the better part of six months. I just got too damn busy. So it sat. I'm easing into my slow season, so I was able to take a few weeks off to decompress and finish the bed. It was great to be back in the shop. I really missed it. Almost lost interest there for a minute...glad to be back. So I'll go through the slat support system and how I did the rail-to-leg connections because I told @Brian Runau I would, then I'll add some thoughts about a few elements of the piece. Rail connection: (Lo and behold, it turns out Systainers AREN'T useless after all! LOL ) Forgive the lack of finish in the bed bolt mortise...it will never be seen but that's sloppy and I should have taken the time to finish it properly. Shame on me but you'll have to let it slide. I used four 12x100 Dominoes for each connection, and one 4.5" x 3/8" machine hex bolt to lock it together. The Dominoes are glued in the rail ends (obviously) but not in the legs (obviously). I had a little interference from the headboard joinery at the bottom two rail mortises, so I shortened them by about maybe 1/4" or so. No biggie. It actually turned out to be a bit of a bonus for assembly, because it's much easier to get two Dominoes to poke in at the same time than four...and it kind of behaves the same way the head goes back onto a Domino machine...how Festool was smart enough to make one of the receiving rods slightly shorter than the other so it's easier to find entry. Genius. Anyway, it kind of worked like that. Bed bolt: I was playing around with the brass inserts that I used on the Bed for Junior: Anyway, I don't really like them. They're tricky to install. Somehow I managed to pull them off with Henry's bed but I did a few tests and they were just giving me trouble. Fighting me. Tearing wood out and stuff no matter what I did...and I only had so many to test or I'd have to buy another pack. So after a consultation with the League of Extraordinary Minds (LEM), I settled on foregoing the inserts altogether and tapping threads directly into the leg. I painted the hole with epoxy before I tapped the threads...not sure if that made much difference in the end but I did it anyway. It's an extremely strong connection and you can really torque the bolt into those tapped threads more than you think you can. Very strong. You can just feel it lock up when you tighten it. I gave one corner of the bed a pretty hefty bump with my ass...and it did not budge. Like a rock. Slat supports: 8/4 poplar glued (and a few screws) to the bottom of each rail will offer the primary support. Yes that's a walnut foot...I ran out of 8/4 poplar. No choice. Who cares. At each end of the center support there's a cleat glued and screwed to the inside of the bottom rails. I used a small half-lap and a couple screws to make that connection. Slats: I popped a single screw at each point of contact on every slat, but this is not something you have to do, totally unnecessary. Couldn't help myself, did it anyway. Also I used way more slats than are probably needed, but what the hell, poplar's cheap. More is better than less. No finish on the slats or center support. Just milled them, eased the edges, called it a day. The slats are 3/4" thick. And that's a wrap. Material selection: This aspect of this particular project is my favorite part. The lumber I was able to gather for this bed was some of the finest materials I've worked with to date. The walnut that had recently just fallen in my lap was by far the most perfect pack of walnut I have ever seen. 8/4, 10' boards, CLEAR from end to end, every one of them. Absolutely zero defect. Barely any sapwood. All 10" and wider, and they were all almost identical. Just a brick of Hershey's bars. Super rich color. It was a small pack, only 12 or 13 boards. It was obvious that they all came from the same tree, possibly the same log. I took half of them. I'd like to say the best half, but honestly what I left behind was no worse than the stock I bought. I should have taken all of it. I already regret it. But that stuff was gone in a couple days. Poof. And for all of you steamed walnut haters, I'll just get it out of the way...no, it's not steamed. Thanks for caring. The white oak I had for this project was particularly special. I've been sitting on these boards for at least 3 years, and they've just been waiting in my shed. I had actually forgotten about them until a few months before I started the project, when I went to reorganize a couple stacks and I spotted them in the back. There were two of them, the only two in the pack that looked like these. I snatched them up the same day they came in to the yard and I knew they were cool boards, but until I started working with them I didn't realize how crazy they were. Ray fleck along the edges, that river of dark heartwood that flows through the center, curl throughout, and the colors...browns, creams, golds, all swirling around and playing with each other. Beautiful. Goes without saying that the pics do the panels no justice. The camera flash washes out a lot of the colors, glare, shadows, etc. I'm not a great photographer. When you see them in person they just...GLOW. So what's the one thing? The one f@&*#$% thing that's gonna get on my nerves every time I think about it? Every project has one. I shouldn't even divulge it because most likely it's something that most people won't notice, even woodworkers...but in the spirit of full disclosure I'll let it out. I should have stretched the headboard legs by about three to four inches so that the bottom of the bottom rail was flush with or just slightly higher than the top of the mattress. That way the bed, made, but without pillows, would have a properly framed headboard...approximately just as much bottom rail in full view as the top rail. A proper frame. As it is, about two or three inches of the bottom rail are obstructed from view by the mattress and comforter. Also, when pillows are placed on the bed, they obstruct more of the view of the panels than I would have preferred. Should have stretched the legs. I think we can accurately call that...a mistake. Something I probably could have avoided if I would take the time to learn sketchup. Too bad I hate it. But, on the bright side, I am still extremely happy with the results here. I felt some real growth in this project, some of it hard to describe but it was there. Some of my techniques are getting more refined, workflow. Things went smoothly. For the most part. It was also the first big project I can remember not having to buy a single tool or bit or specialized shop item or whatever...this one was just lumber and finish. Screws. Everything else I had in the shop. I feel like I'm approaching shop completion...at least within the confines of this particular shop...but this is where I'll be forever, so I don't know how much more change I could make in my workflow even if I wanted to, given my complete and utter exhaustion of space. It's all fun and games... ...until you got to smell dis bref... ...then get wrastled...
  2. 29 points
    Some of you know, and some don't. My wife was diagnosed with cancer in 2015. She went through all the necessary treatments, radiation, chemotherapy and everything they had to stop the cancer. It worked, all that was left after 2 1/2 years of treatments was scar tissue. Hooray we thought, but hold on a minute. Why wasn't she recovering? She was weak, hardly able to walk, to eat, to have a good life again. It seems that the chemicals that are used to kill off the cancer cells, also do damage to other parts of the body. Those chemicals that saved my wife's life from cancer, destroyed her stem cells. Those are the cells in the bone marrow that produce red blood, white blood cells and the platelets that people need to live, you've got'em and be damned glad you do. Her immune system was gone, totally destroyed, any damn wandering germ could kill her, so we went full, hospital gowns, latex gloves, and masks for everyone, she was on oxygen 24/7. I had to take her to the ER more times than you cross cut wood in a week. But she was tough, she never gave up, Ask Coop, that bum talked to her every week, sometimes more. 3 1/2 months ago, after 6 blood transfusions, we were told she had maybe 6 months to live. She made it to 3 months. I was with her in her hospital room when she died. It ripped my heart out. When we were told that 6 months was a possibility, I began construction on a project, I'd never dreamed I'd do. A friend, a sawyer you all know as Spanky, donated the wood. Along time close friend, an ex scooter tramp helped me make and install the hearts and hand rail, and a damned good friend flew in from Texas to do an inlay of a cross that my wife had and wanted on her casket. Never in my life did I know such good friends. The casket was built from Sassafras, so she would have that wonderful fragrance all the way to heaven. The top was curly Cherry. I did a crude carving of two hearts on one part, and my good friend [A bum} did the inlay. She died on the 19th of this month, and I buried the love of my life on Friday the 26th . Just a few days ago, and it's not real even now. These are the pictures of those friends and the casket they helped to build for a very special human. You'll be able to tell who's who. The bearded bum is my scooter tramp friend, we go back to years that should be left unmentioned. The bum in the red shirt is Ken Cooper. Probably the nicest guy you'd ever want to know. I couldn't find the pic of Spanky, but if you can buy wood from this guy, he won't screw you. The rest is the short version of the build. I never wanted it to be used in my lifetime.Inside around where her hips and legs were going I saved most of the Sassafras and Cherry that I had to plane to make fit I scattered those shavings to give her that fragrance. Ken flew in for the burial, and some friends drove in from cajun country to see her off and sing her favorite song " Go rest high on that mountain". And that's where she is now, on top of a mountain called Monteagle, in Tennessee in the cemetery named for her maiden name O'Dear. and she's lying on the right hand of a man she loved......Her Father, George O'Dear. I hope I did her justice. ...........Rick
  3. 25 points
    Okay peeps, let's wrap this one up. We're done. We applied my typical protocol for most of my projects...four coats of ARS, three full-strength, the fourth thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits... Gave them a few days to cure, then a quick polish with a Platin pad and lube... Installed hinges and lid stays... And that's that...the end of an era... It was overcast today so you can't really get a taste for this lid's full glory. It's pretty wild and awesome when the sun hits the ribbon. Joe picked this species of wood entirely because of the one board that made up the lid. Now the cherry... Brusso bling, hundreds of dollars worth... A pic of the backs just to prove they're there... OH NO YOU DI-INT! It's been quite a journey, this one. Thanks for coming along for the ride.
  4. 24 points
    No that's not a grammatical error... He's the pajamas of multiple cats....... If you don't know Steve he's one of the mentors here on WTO.....a few weeks ago I 'turned' an ice cream scoop handle by chucking it up on a power drill and taking it to my sander and posted a project showcase pic on the site. I mentioned in passing on the post that I had so much fun I'd love to have a lathe... Unfortunately my days of 'buy whatever I want' are over since my wife stayed home to take care of the kids recently and we're down to one income...,,Literally the day I posted Steve called me and asked me if I wanted his Rockwell Delta lathe on loaner for a while. Not a benchtop mind you...not a mini lathe...but a 6 footer. Oh yeah and also some turning tools And oh yeah...he gave me a router... And a detail sander... Oh....and about 1 million board feet of unsteamed Walnut. And 5000 pounds of cut off's... Which by the way...his cut offs are the size of my biggest pieces of lumber.... Did I mention the six-foot live edge 10/4 walnut slab? Yeah,that too.......... On the last podcast Marc read that story about Coop paying for the shipping to send that dude a planer (sorry can't remember the name of the guy with the planer [emoji53]). It was a testament however to the helpfulness and generosity of the folks on this forum and the community therein..... It was timely that I point out another great example of that generosity here at wood talk online....big ups to Wdwrker.
  5. 24 points
    Ive sucked my teeth (dentures) into the dust collector.
  6. 23 points
    So I got some time in the shop today with my oldest since the wife was gone with the 3 younger ones. He has been wanting to make a sword. He left a paper in the kitchen last week with a drawing of a sword and it said, "my dream sword". Well today was time for him to get started on the dream sword lol. I do realise this is probably very odd to be journaling but the boy looked up at me with big eyes as I was snapping a picture of him and said, "dad, are you going to put this on wood talk online?" I said of course I will. So this journal is for him, cause I love him and he will think this is the coolest thing in the world. First up was wood selection. He asked me to make the sword out of ebony. I said I couldn't afford 500$ to make a sword and he was like oh ya, thats expensive lol. We looked through a bunch of wood and he chose to use honduran mahogany. Smart kid. I gave him the board, a sharpie and a combination square and let him draw his dream sword. Here is a picture Next up he cut it out at the bandsaw. He asked if I could cut it out for him and I said, you are ten years old now, time to learn to use the big boy tools. I taught him all about the bandsaw and stood next to him the whole time. He did a great job actually. I had to help him out a few times but I was surprised how well he did. After he cut it out, I made some layout lines for him and let him go to town with the Auriou crew. He had a much greater respect for the maloof rocker i did after using the rasps for 30 minutes... Next i took out the spokeshave and let him give that a go. He much preferred using it. He was freaking out over the chatoyance of the mahogany after a few swiped with the razor sharp spokeshave. So about 2 hours of work of which he pretty much did himself and this is where he got The three little monsters got home while we were still in the shop so I gave them some poplar to colour on. They loved that Really wanted to get started on some work I need to get done, but very happy at the time I got to invest in passing the craft on to my boy. Thanks for looking ! Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  7. 23 points
    You guys have made this site a pleasure! And all I can do is hope every one of you have a Merry Christmas! For those that don't like Christmas, Happy Holiday! And may you bury all your complaints in tons of saw dust! From RichardA and family!
  8. 22 points
    My heartfelt thanks to all of you, once again you guys have come thru with your thoughts and prayers, you guys are the best of friends. On to Lucy, she was taken off of the ventilator and is breathing on her own and doing very well, a balloon was inflated in the artery of her heart and removed to allow more blood flow and it worked very well, early next week she will have the major surgery to repair her heart, Lucy is in the children's hospital in Iowa City and its one of the best children's hospitals in the country and have done this operation before with great success. you folks are helping us get thru this and i can't thank you enough, an extra thanks to Mr Ken Cooper, a great friend to whom i am truly thankful. i will keep you all up to date as best as i can. Thank You. Dave and Jan
  9. 22 points
    My wife writes novels and this year her 10th book was published. She asked if I could build her a bookcase with a sliding ladder. I picked up the Rockler ladder kit when it was on sale and started building this monster at the beginning of the year. It feels like it took forever and I'm so happy to be done with it and moving onto the next (smaller) project. It was built where it looks sort of like a built-in, but it is stand-alone. She does not want to leave it when we move next. Some details: Baltic birch plywood with poplar hardwood I built it in 6 pieces and then moved those into the house. It can be disassembled relatively easily. It is 12 feet wide by 9 feet high. Painted to match the rooms trim with the back beadboard painted to match the wall. I ended up spraying latex using my Earlex 5500. I was expecting disaster, but it worked out so much better than expected. I realize that HVLPs aren't made for this, but what I discovered through research is that some latex paints (partically 100% acrylic) spray pretty well. The paint was the Sherwin Williams Pro Classic. Can't say enough good things about the Earlex. Undermount drawer slides. First time installing them for me and what a pain. Not sure I will ever use them again. I did not buy the Blum ones because of cost, but I also didn't get the absolute cheapos. The LED lights were really cool and I got to work on my soldering technique (A LOT!). Now I want to put these up in the kitchen. My wife is super happy with and as always a lot of good advice came from reading this forum.
  10. 21 points
    I got a wide angle lens for vacation this year and decided to take some new shop pictures. My shop is a 40x30 pole barn with 10' ceilings and a 9' porch. It was put up in summer of 2014 and I finished everything except the concrete and power to the building. It has 200 amps of power with its own meter and a direct connection to the transformer (not the house). The walls and ceiling are OSB with R-19 insulation in the walls and R-44 blown into the ceiling and I'm now a believer that insulation is worth every penny. Even in the dead of winter the inside won't drop below 40 unless overnight lows drop below 0 and the hottest days it will get to 80 with the dehumidifier set at 50% so it's tolerable. The lights are 5000K high output T-8's and the lighting with the white paint is awesome, although a little boring. I ran a wireless bridge from the house for internet and have 6 speakers in the ceiling. I almost decided to not do the building until I retired but some friends talked some sense into me saying you can't buy a car for the price of it and it will add value to my property and appreciate. A bonus is we get use of our 2 car garage again. BTW - the wide angle lens makes the shop look bigger than it actually is. This is the view of the shop from our deck.East wall - I need to come up with a solution for my sheet goods and pink insulation I use with my track saw. I'm thinking of building a rolling cart for it. Any ideas?North wallWest wall - the Bowflex is in the shop because shortly after I finished it my wife turned the workout room into a Yoga room. South wall My finish samples and small air compressor which is all I've needed so far. Router table, Ridgid sander and cyclone. Someday I might run 8" coming out of it instead of the 8-6" reducer but I don't have any complaints with the performance. I only have one blast gate open at a time so maybe it doesn't matter.52" SawStop which is a great saw and has a lot of nice features in addition to the brake. I eventually want to build a cabinet under the outfeed table for more storage. My 8" Grizzly jointer has been very reliable and accurate - I had to actually shim the outfeed table down when I got it and haven't touched it since. Jet 16-32 drum sander which I adjusted the open end slightly higher and have never changed it. This allows double passes for wide boards without a ridge and narrower boards might be a couple thou thicker on one side but that rarely matters. If it does I just rotate 180 degrees and do a final pass without lowering the drum. My planer is a Shop Fox 15". Both my jointer and planer have knives which someday I'll either upgrade to Byrd or maybe just buy Powermatics instead. I would also love to have a Supermax 19-38 in the future...maybe if Acme has a 15% off sale again. My assembly table is 4'x6' which I absolutely love. I want to build slide out trays for the systainers and also some drawers for it. As usual a lot of "want to's" for the shop.Hard maple Roubo bench - you might have heard of these.Drill press and mortiser - no idea why I keep the mortiser around since I now have a Leigh FMT and Domino. Lumber racks which are just John Sterling standards and brackets - cheap and easy.Wall storage and tool cabinet.100,000 BTU propane heater which will heat the shop quickly. Yes I have 52 of the old style Bessey's and I got all of them during the 2005-2006 Bessey madness. I sure in the hell don't need that many, but with the Amazon, Hartville Tool, and Lee Valley deals back then, they were as low as $12!Miter saw station built out of cheap cabinets from Home Depot. Grizzly 17" bandsaw and Jet 14" I got cheap off CL that has Carter Stabilizer for curves. The Jet I copied Eric's jointer dust hood solution for dust collection.Picture of the dust collection network which is 6" spiral pipe.
  11. 21 points
    I made a couple of jewelry boxes out of sepele for my daughters for Christmas. I haven't made any thing for them since they were kids here at home so I figured it was time. They are simple in design, neither one of our daughters is into fancy or real ornate stuff. I used Brusso stop hinges and they are finished with satin Arm-R-Seal. This is the first project using sepele and I really enjoyed working with it. I have another project after the first of the year and I now think I will be using sepele for that one also. The chatoyance is really something with sepele as you change the angle at which you view it from.
  12. 21 points
    For the last 8 or 10 years, I've had tools in some cabinets, some in boxes under cabinets and some in storage containers. Recently in the last year or so, now that I have a decent size shop I had put all my tools in various cabinets and hung them up and out of the way, while some sat on shelves collecting dust till I needed to use them. To the left of my bench there was one wall hung saw till..Beside it was a wall hung layout tool cabinet. To the right of the bench was a plane till and next to that was another bunch of hand saws and drill charging station. Behind me on another wall was my sharpening stuff, and drill bits along with my set of carving tools and a load of Misc. It has been a PITA going halfway around the shop to find a tool that I would use for 10 minutes and then walk it back to where it lived until I needed it again. So I figured that if I had 90% of my hand tools in one location, and close to the bench I'd be much better off. Especially since, after I use a tool, I put it back where it lives. Even if I knew I was going to need it again in 5 or 10 minutes. I figure if there's a place for them I know where they are, and they don't clutter up the bench. I never took pictures of the 5 cabinets, don't ask why, I just didn't. But now they are all in one set of cabinets sitting to the right side of the bench, and I have taken pic's of this cabinet set, because I like it. It's not fine furniture, but it does exactly what I needed done. Comments are welcome. There is still some available space I can use, but I think I have my "forever" tool cabinet.
  13. 21 points
    One of our moderators, a young fellow named "wtnhighlander", has a client that want's a slab oak table. he was searching locally, and I was searching locally to see if I could help. He however found a guy near Murfreesboro in Tennessee that has slabs dried in a solar kiln, I also found him, but Ross gets the credit. At my age, I take meeting our fellow woodworkers as a bucket list, and went to meet Ross at the slab dealer's place Saturday. Well worth the trip, Ross is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. He was protected by his 18 year old son, who is one really cool guy.He has a thing about trains, like we have about wood. And the guy Ross bought the slabs from is one damn nice guy as well. After the dealer and Ross's son Cody finished loading Ross's truck we loaded up and went to lunch at a nice country place in a tiny town. Well worth the extra 5 or 6 miles out of our way. And to top it off Cody got to grab a shot or two of a train passing by while we were just finishing up our lunch. We then said our "nice to meet ya salutations" and went in different directions. The pic's are of Ross, Me, and number 1 Son, the Slabs, and Ross and our new found source of slabs. Enjoy, we did.
  14. 21 points
    What the hell is going on around here? I leave for 5 mins and come back to this? Guess I should explain. There was an insane snowstorm and my internet was down for a few weeks. Im from the great white north, is it that unbelievable? Seriously, there is no beef here. Needed a break. Eric and I are all good. Nothing to see here. Ive been taking some pics of my current build. Hopefully get them up this weekend.
  15. 21 points
    My son in law's dad has been quite sick for the last few months. About ten days ago my son in law asked if I would make a memorial box for his cremains and a few items of memory. I didn't know his dad super well but the amount of time I was around him was good times and even that little bit of time spend around him made this a tuff thing to do, a lot harder then I expected. I was nervous about getting it right. I know religion is not to be discussed here but I can't help but be amazed at the fact that I finished this the same day his dad passed away. No journal just a single picture.
  16. 21 points
    My Dad who was 79 in march, married to my mom for 57 years, became an angel at 10:20 this morning. He got to see me finish that table...and boy did he tell all his friends about it ! He was a fireman, police officer, dad, grandpa (to any kid that needed one, I might add) and a man that left behind an enormous legacy of kindness. If your Dad is still around...hug him.
  17. 20 points
    So we are moved in and more or less settled. We are so happy at the new place. The last few weeks has been a serious whirlwind. I've taken a few pics of the shop tear down, the shop move and now starting to setup the new shop. We got the keys a week before we moved so it gave me a chance to do some renos in the house and build a new shop floor. The new shop is a standard double garage, (20x20) not huge but doable. Here is a pic of the new space. There was a fridge and some cabinets in there that I had to get rid of. The last shop was smaller and it had the stairs and landing inside the shop which made it even smaller. The stairs and landing are in the house so i have the full 20x20 which is nice. I ran a drain for a sink before building the floor Since we were building the floor before my spray foam guy came, we put some 2" xps against the wall where the first framing member would lay. We steel studded the concrete wall so we had something to attach the plywood to after wall was spray foamed Spray foam guy came next morning My buddy ( a general contractor ) helped me with everything. He laid the shims as i went behind him gluing them in. Here are a few pics Next up we laid the advantech. All screwed of course While we were doing this my painter and my dad and bro were painting the house. They painted 18 gallons of paint in three days. It went really well. My painter had an epoxy kit leftover from painting the army base floor that he said i could have. . So it was a good few days of work. House was painted, shop floor built, built a bedroom for my son (framed, gyprocked, plastered, finishing, electrical and paint. Built him a decent closet in there as well) Changed a bunch of plumbing i wasn't happy with and my electrican came a ran a few wires that i needed. After 6 good days of work, most of them still working my day job, it was time to move the house. This was a disaster. The movers showed up at 4pm. I was freaking out. They finished at 2:30 am. Two trucks and 6 guys. The owner of the company was aware he screwed up and felt really bad so he only charged me 950$ !! I couldn't believe it. I thought it would be a couple thousand for sure. The day after moving the house, me and a few buddies moved the shop. Turns out I have a lot more stuff than i ever thought I did !! Here are a few pics I tried my best to not have a panic attack while moving all these things. I was pretty stressed out. I was in good hands cause my friend Dan that I put in charge of this part of the move,had experience doing this. He moved his shop (22000 sq ft) last year and he has massive tools compared to my little baby tools. Here are a few pics of when we arrived at the new space. I woke up a happy man the first night there. This is my view when I opened my eyes....all sugar maple ! :-) Here are a few pics of the new place. Its on a cul de sac. This neighborhood was built right in the middle of a sugarbush. Massive old sugar maples all around me. Im in heaven... This maple is huge in the front yard Back to the shop.... I got a few things done this week before my hvac gut came to start the ductwork Wood racks up Wood loaded up Got the cyclone mounted and cabinets moved Hvac guy got a few hours done and will be back Thursday to finish. I haven't been super active the last few weeks since im not woodworking. Don't want to be an armchair woodworker. I will keep you guys up to date on this. I should be up and running soon enough. My Electrician should be here on Friday. Pretty excited to have my shop back again ! Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  18. 20 points
    I thought it might be fun to chronicle the development of my workshop, see what you guys think, maybe get a few pointers, maybe give you all some ideas, and so on. So here we go! I'm going to just go ahead and do this chronologically. CHAPTER 1: BEGINNINGS We got a house in July of 2014, and my gracious wife gave me the whole 2-car garage as a workshop. The space is roughly 18' by 18' with a 16' garage door on the west wall, about 16' of pegboard on the south wall, two doors on the east wall, and the circuit breaker box on the north wall near the east corner. Prior to the move I had used my dad's garage, used my wife's dad's garage, and (laughably) tried to use the front porch of our apartment. Needless to say, I was thankful for a place to work. My attitude about setting up shop: The first major tool I acquired was a miter saw - a Hitachi 10" SCMS from several years ago. I got it for $300 from a relative of a friend in an estate sale, along with a metal stand. The saw itself was in pretty good shape, but the stock Hitachi blade needed replacing. Here's a good quality shot of the saw from the manufacturer's site: The first thing I did was get a laser line attachment for like $10 from Harbor Freight, and that little thing has been fantastic. Somewhere later along the line I replaced the blade with an 80-tooth Marples blade. The saw is still serving me well, though it's got awful dust collection. Anyway. Here's the saw, lonely in its garage without a friend in the world: The door on the left goes into the kitchen; the door on the right (kind of hard to make out in the photo) goes to our utility closet (heater, water heater, some duct work, and a little storage space). Shortly after we moved in I got a good starter set of tools - a DeWalt 20V Max drill and jigsaw, a DW621 router, a nice set of new Stanley Sweetheart chisels, a couple of plastic folding sawhorses, and a small but growing assortment of Bessey hand clamps. The next major addition was this beauty, a steal at $350 on Craigslist: As you can see from the goofy look on my mug, I was excited! It's a Ridgid R4512 with a 4-wheeled step-operated mobile base and dust collection attachment on the underside. This thing is worth twice what I paid for it. The first thing I did was build a cheap table extension to fill in the space on the right end of the fence. Strictly speaking, that was the first thing I built in my shop. Also, if you look on the floor behind it in the pictures, you can see the 1950s shop vac that my wife's grandpa gave to us. It had the suction strength of an old guy blowing on his soup, so it never saw any real use. Still neat-looking though. The first larger project I did in my workshop was a taper-seat bench for my wife's Christmas present. I did all the milling at my father-in-law's house, but was able to do the joinery on the table saw at home. It's an amazing feeling to have your own space and be able to walk out to it whenever you want to and have the time. Note the auxiliary starch-rich work surface (aka ironing board): It was very well received. CHAPTER 2: BUILDING IT UP Up to this point my workshop was just a sad little garage with some tools in it, though. It was clearly time to fix this problem. Blam! Thanks to a full day of work and some help from my dad and a friend, a beautiful miter saw counter was installed. Based on designs from an episode of New Yankee Workshop, this work counter is 8' long to the left of the saw, and the section with the saw and to the right is another 4' long, for a total of 12' in length. It's composed of 3/4" dividers below with 4" strips at the bottom in front and back, and another at the top in the back. Those strips in the back are screwed to the studs in the wall. The countertop is composed of three layers. The first layer is half-lapped 2x4 studs. Above that is a screwwed-on layer of MDF, and that is topped with a replaceable layer of hardboard. Having a work surface was a game changer. It was naked so I added trim shortly thereafter: Also, as seen above, I have acquired a decent shop vac. It's not Festool, but hey, I didn't even know what that was back then. And I certainly didn't have the money. (Still don't! ) The organizer you see on the far left of the miter counter is my own design and creation as well. It's got slots for up to thirty 1/8" hardboard shelves, but I have always kept just a few shelf inserts in place and repositioned them as needed to fit whatever it is I'm storing. That MDF strip is a fence that is bolted down the full length of the counter. The miter saw's section of the countertop is set down low enough to make the miter saw's table level with the rest of the counter, and the odd angle on the right of the saw is so that the handle has room to adjust to angles in that direction. That counter has been fantastic. It still needs either cabinet doors or drawers (one drawer got added as of the date of this post) but it's still so much better than just a bare wall. I still needed some sort of work holder, and knew that I wasn't about to build a serious workbench just yet. An eBay find, this is a cool oddity. It's a vintage vice from Sears before they made craftsman - it's just Sears-branded. Not good enough to be the primary vice forever, but that's okay! Good enough is good enough for now. Here's one of my favorite pictures of the Mrs., peeking in to see what I'm up to. She's just awesome. So thankful for that woman! She supports me in my pursuit of my hobby, and always listens when I want to talk about it, even if it's a little outside her area of expertise. This was taken while I was attaching the face trim to the miter counter. I think it was about this time that I found Marc's videos on YouTube - note the Wood Whisperer lumber rack. It's been nice, but at the same time I wish I'd consider metal options, because the thickness of the supports limit how much wood I can actually fit on the shelves. That, plus the ceiling is about 8'6", which limits my storage options pretty substantially. That said, the full-sheet storage rack is fantastic! I didn't realize that my garage floor sloped down toward the door, which means that Marc's plans to have it hinge from the wall weren't useful for me (If I did that, the hinges would break out of the wall as the wheels on the far end sagged down an inch with the concrete), so I put it on four locking casters instead. It's stable, just a tad tippy. Still haven't had it fall yet, though, so it must not be too bad! CHAPTER 3: FILLING IT IN At this point I was all in. The big purchases hit hard and fast in the spring of 2015. My first experience (and the first experience of anyone I know) with buying from an industrial tools company was when I bought the G0555LX Bandsaw. It was by far the most impressive tool I'd ever worked with. The weight, the construction, it was a real dream to work with. After purchasing some locking stem casters, the bandsaw was mobile and I played with it for a month or two making lots of bandsaw boxes. (Note to self, next time purchase DOUBLE-locking stem casters, because these are a tad wiggly when locked.) One silly thing I love about my bandsaw is how it has a few areas of the interior that don't get perfect dust collection, which then allows dust to build up in layers of colors depending on which species you were working with, which looks like this: (Of course, that was also all before I had a real dust collector...) Shortly thereafter I added the DW735x planer. All I had used before was my dad's lunchbox planer, so this was definitely a step up as well. While I was very impressed with the quality of the Grizzly bandsaw, I didn't go with an industrial planer because I wanted something that I could keep mobile. It temporarily lived on the old miter saw stand, until it could be relocated to its own sweet flip-top cart. Here it is atop its new home! The cart is basically plywood, with a hollow center to accommodate the all-thread rod which serves as an axle. You can see the acorn nut which caps off the all-thread in the center of the side. The black plastic handles tighten and loosen to allow the locking mechanism (eye bolts attached with carriage bolts through the eyes) to open and close. When all four corners are loosened and turned in, the whole top flips, planer and all. It works surprisingly well. I have to take off the tables and the black plastic dust collection port, but once I do that it actually rolls right into one of the bays on the miter counter so it doesn't take up floor space. Alternately, the underside of the planer cart surface makes a great mobile work table. Another thing to point out to someone who might be considering this planer: the warning on the package about needing dust collection is no joke. This thing slings chips like there's no tomorrow. I had to buy a 4" dust hose and jury-rig it to the little shop vac I had at the time. A real dust collector is a huge boon to this planer. The left side of the picture below shows the planer in its upside-down position on the cart, and on the right side...... ... is my one-of-a-kind kind-of-great MDF-with-a-hole-in-it router table! The edge guide for my router attaches with two 3/8" thick metal rods which can separate completely from the edge guide. They are held in place in a track on the router base, and I realized that if I could just make an opening the same shape and size as my router, and two grooves where those rods go, I could suspend the router from those rods. So that's exactly what I did. I needed a router table that took up zero floor space, and I did just that. The only down side is that I have to take the router out every time I want to adjust it because of the tension of the spring for plunge routing. All in all, though, it's a great solution. While we are talking about filling up the shop, that summer also brought me Flexio, my HVLP sprayer, which I like to imagine is Fabio's long-lost cousin. Oh, look at you, Flexio. You with your golden locks. So handsome. Oh, yes, Flexio, it is beautiful. Note the Greene & Greene influence, Flexio. It indicates that at this time I had actually learned a bit more about styles and was branching out from functional to beautiful, Flexio. Just like you, Flexio. ...ahem. That summer also brought me this G0656P, an 8" beast of a jointer, as the payment for a commissioned bed which I posted quite a bit about on the forums about a year and a half ago. At this point I was already really getting involved with learning the fineries of woodworking, but just starting to put them into practice. I STILL hadn't bought a dust collector at this point - can you tell? The (almost) finished project: (The clients wanted it stained, so I'll leave that to your imagination. In my memory the bed looks like this, haha!) CHAPTER 4: REFINING THINGS A BIT In the interest of organizing things in a way that makes sense, I'm fudging on the chronology to point out that I built a clear-front cabinet before I got the jointer. It got a twin shortly after the bed was finished, which I think really brought that end of the shop together. Before the cabinets: After cabinet 1, during the construction of cabinet 2: Shop-made scrap mahogany handles, anyone? The cabinets are about as simple as it gets. Plywood and dadoes, a hardboard back panel, a face frame and does with plexiglass windows (mainly because I can cut plexiglass myself), hung with a french cleat. The one on the left has a hole drilled in the bottom so the power cord for my battery charger can plug into the wall. More storage is always a good thing. More shop additions around this time include a small complement of Jorgensen cabinet master clamps (RIP Jorgy), a set of computer speakers to make shop time more enjoyable, a dry-erase board installed in the garage door, attic insulation (praise the Lord! Left is before, right is after), and, yes, finally, the picture earlier may have given it away, DUST COLLECTION! This thing really sucks! A bunch of other small improvements were made that I didn't take pictures of at the time. I added three single-bulb ceiling-mount light fixtures to dim areas of the shop and put ridiculously bright LED bulbs in them, and now I can actually see out there! I also removed the table insert from the table saw and replaced it with my jury-rigged router table, which has benefitted greatly from having a fence and a more permanent home in the shop. CHAPTER 5: RECENT CHANGES AND THE PRESENT The funny thing about woodworking is that you never know if a project will go wrong. One of those projects was a coffee table I was making for a girl I was dating in college. She dumped me when the table was almost finished. All it needed was a coat of finished and to be sized for the glass tabletop inserts. She ditched me and I ditched the project, and it just lurked around in my dad's garage for years, and then in mine for a couple of years. I tried to sell it, but to no avail - it was a vey old project, the workmanship wasn't what I'd do now, you probably know how it goes. I didn't feel right selling it anyway, because it isn't representative of my current abilities. So what to do? I've got this darn coffee table: And... hmm. This corner of poorly-utilized space: And I am a pretty handy guy. And I need somewhere better to keep my finishing supplies. And we never ride those bikes anyway. Well, a craigslist sale of two bikes and an hour in the shop later, and I have this awesome finishing shelf: Which pretty much brings things up to today! Here's a recent set of shots of the different parts of the shop: (Oh, yeah, I rather unceremoniously added a drill press too! Not the most thrilling purchase, but a much-needed one.) And that brings things up to today, when I have a pile of 8/4 ash sitting there waiting to become a Roubo... Anyway, this post might hold a record for being too long or too wordy - hopefully someone might read more than half of it. I just wanted to share my journey with all of you guys! Hope you've enjoyed looking at it. I'll add an update to this post whenever I have enough changes under my belt to make an update post worth it. Me in the shop: My current level of confidence, thanks to my wife, my dad, my wife's dad, Norm, Marc, Matt, Shannon, and of course the awesome advice of all of you here at the WoodTalk Forum:
  19. 20 points
    Thank's guys....When he first adopted us, he was 5 weeks old. Two weeks later he picked out a female from another litter that was 5 weeks old and they have been our children for 13 years. My big guy who you all see when you look at my avatar has always had hip problems, and lugging around 165 pounds didn't make it easy on him. Last Friday before 9 PM we knew the temp was going to drop very low, and we always bring them in the house when the temp drops below 25*. The temp was 12* when we got to them, and he was down and couldn't get up on his hind legs. With coaxing and help from us we got him in the house, where they stayed all weekend. When he wanted to move, he would crawl to wherever he wanted to go, but he always wanted to go to his mate, every time to his mate. We could see in his eyes that he knew there was nothing we could do to fix him, and he freely gave us kisses, almost as if he knew that he was saying goodbye. The Vet came yesterday, and my guy left. He's now in the middle of a flowerbed of what are called "Surprise Lilly's", and forever more he'll be surounded by beauty, a beauty that matches his temperment. He was a gentle soul and as loving as any one that ever lived. Even at 165 pounds, he always thought of himself as a lap wolf, and many an evening he spent cutting off the blood flow to our legs Rarely in the wild do wolves live longer than 7 years, and in captivity rarely past 10 years. He did good! His lifetime mate will shortly join him, not for health reasons, but for something much more important, love! She kissed him goodbye, and has been depressed ever since. all they ever knew was each other and us. And no matter how Linda and I try, we'll never be able to take the place of her mate. This evening guys, would you all do me a favor and lift a glass, or a shot to the two most beautiful people you never knew, Primeaux and his lady for life Shereaux. Thanks again! Rick Is there any way to dry out a keyboard?
  20. 20 points
    In finishing up the bookcase I drilled the holes to attach the top to the top section. I drilled three holes toward the front of the case and three holes in the back. The three holes in the back I elongated to allow for wood movement of the top itself. As far as the finish goes with the help of Mike ( estesbubba) and after doing some testing, I tried something different. I used a 2# cut of garnet shellac that was diluted about 25% more with denatured alcohol. I sprayed one coat then sanded with 400 grit to knock the grain down then sprayed 3 coats of General Finish's High Performance, light sanding with 400 grit between coats. We didn't want to to go with just clear glass for the doors, We wanted something that had the waviness that you see in older glass. Anyway here it is. Couple of pictures of the top. Final resting spot. This is for Steve.
  21. 20 points
    Steve has been instrumental in project planning and questions that i've had. i nominate wdwerker. he's an asset to the forum and exhibits extensive knowledge.
  22. 19 points
    This project was for me. It's a tall desk with a partially sloped top and shelf for computer monitors. Been working on this since before Christmas. I used a story stick for the legs - worked great.
  23. 19 points
    I have been rather busy with my career for the past few months. I try to spend my free time working on projects, leaving me little time to interact with WoodTalk community. My hope is to make some time for WoodTalk forum this year. I have been reading posts but not posting much. So, it is time to get caught up. Here are some of the projects I have worked on since last June. I made two jewelry cabinets for my daughters. One is inspired by a box made by Matt Kenny. The second one is based on a design by Kyle Toth. I chose this project because I had just one board of sycamore. I added padauk and basswood complete the project. The above piece is made from QS sapele and tiger maple, with yellow poplar as the secondary wood. I made these Chippendale style mirrors to test out my new DeWalt scroll saw. The lumber here is Hoduran mahogany with pommele sapele veneer. It has a garnet Shellac spray finish. In going through my lumber collection, I found a single flame birch board. I decided to make a table for my daughter who is a fan of mid-century modern furniture. I saw a table like this one in Instagram and made my version of it. The big project for me was a chest of drawers based on an article in FWW. It is Japanese styling and I made it out of cherry. The main challenge was that the sides and front are both sloped by about 4 degrees. In the end, it turned out OK. I gave it to my son, who is in college. He has a keen appreciation for fine furniture. The back of the piece is probably overkill but it does look pretty. The finish on this piece is wash coat of shellac followed by 4 coats of Satin Arm-R-Seal. The hardware is hand forged. Thanks for viewing.
  24. 19 points
    So finally the day has arrived and its the best feeling in the world!! What a journey this has been for all of us but its on to being a family for my daughter her husband and of course Lucy. i can't express enough how much you guys helped with your prayers and support, it helped Jan and i thru some very tough moments. A special thanks to @K Cooper for the PM's and phone calls to me and helping me thru this and starting the thread on Lucy, he is not only a great friend but one of the finest people i know. Also thanks to @RichardA for the PM's and special prayers. ALL of you have my gratitude, thanks and prayers for your support and kind words, you guys are the BEST! Lucy continues to do well at home in the loving arms of her parents and if anyone here has ever been to the University of Iowa Childrens Hospital you know what an amazing place and people are there. Thanks to the doctors there my granddaughter is alive and well and the Med Flight air crew are some of the finest people in the nation. Dave & Jan
  25. 19 points
    While I was backpacking in the santa cruz mountains I came across these wind caves that were created by the wind eroding away holes and cavities into sand stone. I've been working on conveying this through the wood carving where all the areas carved away flow into the next and emulate this movement of the wind. This piece is the first in a series I'm working on now so i'm looking forward to pushing these ideas and techniques!
  26. 18 points
    This was turned from a single piece of cocobolo 8 ½” square by 17/4. The surface is sanded to P1200, but with no coatings, just au naturale. With successive convolved designs I have been looking at what happens when the contour lines of the upright and basin are altered. With Sedona the upright and basin are both formed from straight lines. In many ways this shape was the most difficult convolved form to design, engineer and make that I have done so far. For one thing I had to be very particular about the acute angle in the corners. It’s about 40 degrees reflecting the fact that my diamond detail tool is 36 degrees, so about as tight a space as I could work in. Access for hollowing also narrowly limits the possible positions for the upright and basin walls. And quite honestly it is a lot more difficult to make a surface straight rather than curved.
  27. 18 points
    This was a fun build, and it really shows off Rickey's (aka Spanky) curly ambrosia maple. I was inspired to do this piece after seeing some nice buffet designs and builds on this site. Why would a buffet design inspire this piece, well this piece will match my future buffet table/cabinet! I also plan to build a matching liquor cabinet to match this piece. That liquor cabinet is just getting started and if I can get my act together I wanted to post a journal with that. Now for those that have seen some of my work, you know I lean more toward a Maloof/sculptured design. I had to incorporate some flowing lines in this piece but it's a lot more traditional than Maloof stuff. I still find this look appealing. Spanky's curly ambrosia really looks great with the walnut, and my liquor cabinet will incorporate these two woods also. Fully stocked in this photo; Drawer dovetail were handcut and run on a center guide. Really like the way these woods work together; From the side view you can really appreciate the curves in this piece; Thanks for looking.
  28. 18 points
    This is the last post for me in this thread. The reason is that there is this one thing to add to it, to complete it. A few weeks ago, the funeral home called me and told me that the marker I ordered had come in. They wanted to know if they were going to drive the 50 miles to do the install. I told them no, and I'll be up in a few minutes to pick it up. It's been riding around in my car for 15 or 20 days, and today I took it to the grave of my wife. I waited til today for this reason. Today would be our 21st anniversary. And I wanted to share that date with the Lady I love. Ya see, my wife is buried next to her Father in a graveyard named after her Maiden name. The O'Dear Cemetery. Linda's Maiden name was Linda Kay O'Dear. I arrived there about 9:20 this morning and took a couple of general pics before I started prepping the ground for her Marker. It wasn't all that difficult, the ground was soft, since It doesn't seem to stop raining here this year. After a few shovels full, the ground was ready for the Marker. It's granite and 25" long by 14" tall, and about 6" thick. I can assure you that it wasn't light. It weighed a little over 110 pounds, but I got it out of the car and walked the 20 feet and put it in it's final place. I guess I should mention that I turned 76 today as well, and an old fart like me, shouldn't try picking up that much, much less walk it 20 feet, and gently lay it in place. But it was for my wife, and I'll do anything for her, even now. I filled in around it, and brought out a camp chair and I sat down to recover and to start a conversation with the love of my life. I sat there for close to 2 hours talking to her, all the while tears were pouring down my face. It's the very first conversation I've ever had with her where she didn't interrupt me. That to was unnerving. I don't know what the end result of today is going to be, some say closure, I say confusion. I've done all I can for her now, except try and live my life the way she would approve. And I'll give that a try. Thank every one of you who participated in this thread, every one of you have made this trial just a little easier. Here's the final pics of this final post. Again, I thank every one of you. ..............Rick She now rest's High on that Mountain.
  29. 18 points
    I completed the finish process on the table two weeks ago and then the table just sat in the shop because of other things asking for my time. This morning I finally got the old table out and the new one into the house. It came in, in two pieces. For one it is heavy, and two logistically it was just the easier way. Down side to this is the tight space and lighting didn't lend itself to good pictures but here it is. Any and all comments and constructive criticism are welcome. One of the challenges of the project was to get the finish close to the same as the chairs we had purchased and over all I think I came real close. I don't think anybody off the street would know that the table was built separate from the chairs, but I will let you be the judge and let me know what you think.
  30. 18 points
    Just not very proud of what I half to do to try to make a living. I'm working on two corner cabinets and a sink cabinet. Nothing that great to show but I have always enjoyed seeing what you guys do. I just wanted to explain why you never see my stuff and will take this thread down soon..
  31. 18 points
    My daughter turned 5 in january, and she's outgrown her toddler bed. So I thought I'd try to make a new bed for her. This is my second actual furniture project, and it's turning out a lot better than my rustic/distressed maple coffee table. I used Jeff Miller's bed book plan for a shaker bed and then modified the headboard with some slats. I'm not real good at making up plans, I just had a vision in my head and then made some notes with the critical measurements. I started this in October, but hadn't touched it since December... finally this week I got around to installing the rockler bed hardware and gluing up the head and foot boards. I used cherry lumber I bought locally from Youngblood. This is the first thing I've ever made using cherry, and I'm happy with how it's turning out. And then last night, I tested the fit of everything. No room in my shop so I had to use the family room. I need to finish the bed rails with arm-r-seal, and then I have some birch to cut out slats to go across to hold a mattress. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.
  32. 18 points
    I HAVE RETURNED........Well guys, I appreciate all the nice comments, and the toasts, I'll join in those in just a moment or two. Here's the way this is working out. There was a space just a little larger than a pencil eraser that wouldn't heal right on top of the knuckle. Everywhere else healed normally. The first surgery was done on June 19th, and it took my doctor this long to figure out what the problem was. I had an appointment to see her Thursday, and she saw that there was no progress, she took a culture and admitted me to the hosp, with surgery scheduled for Friday. She opened the finger up and learned that a woodworker uses all ten digits to do stuff, and that two tendons that she had repaired had snapped and would be difficult to fix. The same for one ligament. So now if I point you in a direction with my left index finger, be sure to follow it around the corner. It will be forever bent. When she opened it up she did a through roto router on the knuckle with high doses of antibiotic. Then closed up with stitches what was closed up before. She left the pencil sized opening so any bacteria had a way to escape. I spent Friday and half of Today with two or three bags of high strength antibiotics and three bags of a saline solution being pumped into my entire body. I can now heal with just one touch. Any how, I'll be on heavy antibiotic's for a couple of weeks. And if the eraser closes up we're good to go. If however the hole doesn't close up, in all likely hood, I'll be going in for one more surgery, to remove the corner directions from my finger, and making it about 1" long. So, I'm keeping one set of fingers crossed. It hurts to cross the other ones. Again, thank's guys for all your kind comments, and offers of get well soon. Hang in there with me and keep your fingers crossed, except when your working around fast moving metal. .......Rick
  33. 18 points
    I can't believe it's been since July since I've posted on this thread ! It's been one heluva summer !!! So I finally got the shop more or less finished. I got right to the clock since I only had a couple weeks left before the reveal. This past Thursday I brought the clock out to my buddy's shop about an hour away to use his spray booth. We started with the General finishes medium brown dye . There were a few spots that needs to be touched up sp we did some shading. After that we sprayed three coats of this awesomeness It was my first time spraying a post catalyzed product and my first time spraying conversion varnish. This stuff is the bomb. I got home at 3am on Thursday after doing one coat of dye, multiple layers of shading and three coats of the conversion varnish. Was on the the job at 715am on Friday. I'm getting too old for that LOL. I left the clock at my buddy's shop as it was too fresh to take home. My buddy had his guys pack it it up in foam and loaded in his van and he brought it to me Friday afternoon. He stayed and helped me rub out the finish, install the glass, glue on the clock face and reinstall the doors. He knew we were giving it to dad the next day so he wanted to help. He a great friend. The next morning (yesterday) I got up and installed the clock In the house. I had to level it and Install all the clock parts and get it working properly for the big reveal. It was my dad's 65th birthday party here at 3pm ! I got it all done by 11am. Unfortunately I don't have many pics of all these last steps as i was in a major rush lol. Here are a couple pics of it at my place After dad's party, I took it all apart again and put all the parts back in their boxes. I loaded everything up to be able to bring it to my dad's. This morning I got up and brought it to his house and got it all installed there for him. He is a very happy and proud dad. Here is dad and I just after we gave it to him Here is a pic of it at his house. This build was a lot of fun. I'm so happy my Dad LOVES it !
  34. 18 points
    I've never posted a project, so here is one, humble as it is. My DIL volunteers with the local organization, Calgary Area Search and Rescue Association. They had a fundraiser coming up and she was assigned the task of getting something into which people could deposit their donations. She asked what they had in mind. They said 'ice cream buckets or something'. We decided we could do better than that so this is what my son & I came up with. Boxes are 5/8" hard maple with 3/4" lid, bottoms are 1/4" maple. The association colors are black & yellow, hence the garish color. Made 4 of them. The event was last night & they got lots of complements, including a couple of emails praising their 'dovetail' construction. Haha! Anyway, it was lots of fun to build & got to spend quality time with my son.
  35. 18 points
    My brother in law is obsessed with Batman. Yes the same brother in law I man the Batman walking stick for. Today is his birthday and we are doing dinner and cake later. I didn't know what to get him, and he loves all the wood stuff I make. So off to the computer and CNC. It's his favorite Batman symbol with all the different Batman symbols evolved over time cut into it. The base is walnut, and a cutout of the Batman mask. Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  36. 18 points
    I milled up some scrap lumber to just shy of 3/8" to edge my shop plywood counter tops but as the holidays approached, decided to repurpose to make gift boxes. 27 of them. Milled boards with slot for bottom panel. You can see some prototypes I made in the background... Miter cut with all pieces in continuous grain match order. Glue up, used plywood for the bottom mostly to keep this project moving quickly. Packing tape and rubber bands as clamps. Batched them through the spline jig, trying out a couple decorative configurations for the splines (why the heck not?). Time to find some scrap for the tops. Couple lessons here, use a feather board when sending these lids through the router table and sever the grain with a marking gauge to avoid tear out. Two things that I should have known better before chunking up this one lid... Lids in all their glory. 12degree taper along the lid edges. Finished with Danish oil and moved on from learning woodworking skills to an unanticipated lesson in scrap booking skills. There is hard candy inside the box, it will be a pretty awesome let down if the receiver doesn't appreciate the packaging. [emoji6] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  37. 18 points
    I wish I could take credit for the name, but that's all Mike. Clever boy. Hirarious. Cherry case, legs and doors with bubinga top and pulls. Solid brass shelf pins. And a sprinkle of Asian fravor with reverse tapered legs and soul-patch bevels. Mmmm...dericious, tastes like MSG. Dusty Buddha
  38. 18 points
    Did ya ever notice how the projects for your own home tend to take forever since everything else comes first? There is a bedroom set that people seem to like. I have done them in cherry and mahogany. This one is for me so it is walnut. I also altered the dimensions some what to make it fit better for me and my home. This is the general idea: It is a carcass with web frames although the drawers will use full extension slides and not rest on the frames. Other folks prefer side-hung with wooden runners and I am happy to do that. For myself, I like being able to get to the whole drawer. The web frame parts are hard maple, half-lap at the corner and dado'd for vertical dividers in some places. The frames have a groove along the long front edge to accept the drawer divider trim. The side panel frame parts I get from resawn lumber in order to make the figure similar. The SU drawing doesn't show it much but, you will see the side detail which is an oversized tsuba shape created with some opposing cloud-lift shapes later on. I use templates for this and due to the different dimensions I had to make a few new ones. I use 1/4" MDF, rough the shape out on the bandsaw and then fair it with rasps, scrapers and files. I even have an old shave that I use for this. I gang the side frame parts and dado them for the web frames. I use a Mortise Pal to make floating M&T joints for the side frame construction. You can see the recess for the floating panels here. The small upper and lower "connector" pieces will get rabbeted to complete the shape of the recess. Gratuitous clamp shot. Part of my design uses a shallow, but wide, rabbet at the top and bottom of the side frame assemblies. These accept the trim you will see in a little while. There is discussion now and gain about part selection out of a board as opposed to just grabbing the next board in the stack. Here I am selecting the portions that will serve as the floating panels in the end frames. These panels get a groove for a spline. And I end up with this. The floating panels are pre-finished so I don't get any peek-a-boo bare wood during seasonal movement. I find it easier to attach the web frames to one side at the bench. You can sort of see how the frame fits into the shallow dado and acts as a keeper for the floating panel. the picture is not real self explanatory but, I can talk about that more if anyone is curious. And its starting to look like something . . . Some more templates that had to be done to accommodate the different scale of this one piece. The drawer divider trim is cut from one board to retain some figure consistency. I run a couple of dado's on the router table and then rip off the trim at the table saw . . . rinse and repeat. I lay out the front cloud lift divider trim and things start to come together even more. And more still. Time for the lower trim parts. I cut a lot of exaggerated finger joints. I have fouled enough of them to get pretty good at it and now just do this at the tablesaw. I make my own leveling feet. These are made out of an old red oak door that I scrapped out. I can't remember how many levelers I have gotten out of that free old door. Very few parts make it from machine to assembly. That is particularly true of the cloud-lift profiles drawer parts. More fingers. Since several of the drawer fronts are asymmetrical I only get to gang cut a couple of sets. I am doing that here . . . Here's the drawer parts all roughed out. This may be interesting. I want the full thickness of the drawer sides to show in the finger joint but, I also want full extension glides that require clearance. My solution is to bury the glide in the drawer side. Closer and closer. I have a low angle block that I have fitted with a bob tail. I use this as a sort of a #3 for fitting drawers and so forth. Alright, everybody's moving in and out real nice. Time for a top for this thing. I route a tongue all the way around as the top will float in a frame. Making the frame parts exceeds the depth of cut on my tablesaw so I finish them up by hand. And here the roughed out parts for the top are dry fit together. I round the ends of the fingers. The corners of these joints are held with pegs which are hidden by the square pillow plugs later on. Figure 8 connectors in 8 positions hold the top. And its time for some pulls. Once again some sort of hand tool seems to be involved in almost any part. You can see here that the pulls are pulled from a single board. Its just something I like to do on things like this. Some folks notice and mention this to me, some never do. I use a "strap" detail that comes from a small letter box in the Freeman Ford house. I choose my material. In this case I will use the right and left pieces and return the middle to stock. They get coved. And template routed. I then use a thin kerf medium tooth count blade to cut the easment where the strap will mate to the bottom trim. A sanding block shaped with the profile of the trim assures a good fit. As an aside, here is a foolproof way to mark your depth. Now it is ready for some touch up surface prep here and there and I will lay the finish on. It may be into next week before I get the first coats on. As per the norm, something else gets priority for the next few days. I'll continue this as I start to apply the finish. I will need to make a bunch of ebony plugs. I make these in that hang-time that comes between coats of finish. I add the plugs before the last couple of coats.
  39. 18 points
    One year follow-up yesterday and no signs of cancer!
  40. 17 points
    My daughter and her husband just purchased a home in Fairfax Va. and wanted some federal style furniture to add to her collection . I just finished what I hope will be the final two pieces.
  41. 17 points
    Hey everyone! Back from the dead. Here’s what I’ve been up to for the last three months or so! https://imgur.com/gallery/heMQGGJ It’s a sideboard that will serve as an entertainment center for a client. Solid cherry all over, with cherry veneer plywood for the shelves, back panel, and internal vertical components. The only screws in it are holding the ledger strips in place and fastening the top via figure-8 fasteners. I’m pretty happy with it!
  42. 17 points
    It has been one year to the day since I last was on this forum. I am sure there have been a lot of new members and things happen since then. I just thought I would put up a post to let everyone know where I've been and why I was absent for so long. Hopefully all the members I have known in the past are still here! One year ago today, I had an injury in the shop. I will spare you the details for now, but it ended up with me in the emergency room. I cut open my left thumb on the table saw, and required 12 stitches (6 inside and 6 outside). It scared the living hell out of me. The cut was in the pad of my left thumb, and did not severe any tendons, ligaments, or hit the bone. No surgery was required. I am a VERY safety conscious person, and doubly so in my shop. I have worked wood for 15 years without injury or incident, until this occurrence. It was, quite literally, 1 second of inattention and my thumb was cut open. I was out of the shop for 12 weeks as the thumb healed. My thumb has recovered, but I do have some nerve damage that affects the feeling along the scar line. The mental healing took much longer, and I feel now that I am ready to share my experience with you. After the incident, my wife was concerned about me and how this was affecting my outlook on my beloved craft. In the end, she bought me a Sawstop to help get me out of my funk and back to my passion. It's now in my shop, and I have been using it for 6 months. It's the 3 HP cabinet saw model, and its incredible. I'll post a review at a later date when I get back in the groove of posting again. In no way to I blame the table saw for my injury - it was 100% my own fault. Ironically, about 6 weeks after my injury I was contacted by a Woodworking magazine regarding a 2 page article I had written for them. I ended up getting my article published int the magazine (print), and have since written 4 more which will be published in 2019. The magazine is called "Canadian Woodworking and Home Improvement". It was a very proud moment for me, but was a little tarnished by the injury I had suffered. Regardless, it is nice to be back in "full swing" again. I'll be back to regular posting now, so catch me up on what you fellas have been up to! -pug
  43. 17 points
    Lynndy and I were in Auckland, New Zealand recently for the wedding of her niece. We stayed with her brother and his wife. They have a wonderful home with some nice examples of arts and crafts furniture, one of which was an apothecary chest. I really love these pieces, and Lynndy especially has wanted one forever. So the order was placed and a spot lined up in the entrance hall. The design was mostly worked out in idle musing, and then I drew it up on sheets of 6mm MDF (I like this since the sheets end up as a story board and may be stored away more easily if needed at a later date). The orientation is vertical, rather than typically horizontal, more along the lines of a Krenov-styled cabinet. I’ve never built a Krenov-styled cabinet and, as far as I am aware, he never built an apothecary chest! In other words, this is a chest on a stand. As an aside, I am not enamoured with the spindly legs of Krenov designs, and something with substance is needed. More on this at a later date. The chest will contain 24 drawers, in 6 rows (so 4 drawers across and 6 rows down) … What has changed in the drawing above is the rows will be made to accentuate the vertical rather than the horizontal (by running the blades/dividers down first). This is more work, but is should create a different perspective. I have never seen a curved apothecary chest before, so this may be the first one … The wood is another first for me – black walnut from the USA. My local timber guy had a stack of 1” and 2” thick boards, all about 11-12” wide. (For those who see metric measurements on the plans and here is mentioned imperial sizing, be aware that this is my common practice. The jointer-planer/thicknesser I have is European, and metric. The hand tools, such as a plough plane, are imperial). The boards are thicknessed a little oversize, glued up, and then taken to final dimension with hand planes. The walnut is so easy to plane. I get why so many rave about working with it. Don’t you love it when the carcase parts are done. These are all 20mm thick … Starting to put it together Starting from the bottom up, the side panels are left a little long as they will need to be given a curved bevel to meld with the bottom panel … The dovetails are in the ratio of 6:1 – I felt the slightly extra wider base would add a little more authority. Here’s the first completed corner. It is important that the joints are tight (obviously) but also that they moved apart readily, since the cabinet carcase will be pulled apart, put together, and pulled apart many times as the drawer blades are measured and fitted ... Note, also, the area that will need to be bevelled away. This is marked. Now the dimension of the bevel is taken the length of the panel … I made up a template of the curve by grinding a piece of scrap steel (chosen because it was lying around) … … and the curve is transferred to the other end of the panel. The waste is planed away with, firstly, a jack plane (shop made) … ... and then a modified HNT Gordon trying plane … The reason for the trying plane is to keep the sides straight. A jointer plane could have substituted. The final step here is to smooth and fair the surface with a HNT Gordon mini smoother … Finally, we get to complete the basic carcase (the flash makes the walnut look light, but it is dark in tone). the dimensions are 700mm high and 300mm deep (at the centre) … Starting the vertical drawer blades/dividers These are made with merbau as a secondary wood, with walnut facing … Merbau is from northern Queensland (some is imported from Papua New Guinea). It is hard and heavy, and typically used in Oz for flooring or outdoor furniture. I am using it because it is cheap and hard. As cheap as pine and as dense and wear-resistant as jarrah. The boards are glued together and bound with blue tape .. Three vertical dividers for now … As before, they are also slightly oversize and will be planed to dimension to fit into 12mm wide dados. More later. Regards from Perth Derek
  44. 17 points
    Forty years ago today this beautiful girl became my wife. She's been quite the blessing to me.
  45. 17 points
    Recently I decided I had waited far too long into my woodworking career to learn how to hand cut dovetails. To my discredit, one of the first tools I bought was a leigh jig. I was but a young n00b, wanted to make some dovetailed drawers on a table, and said "hmm what's the easiest way to accomplish this joint." $500 later I was taking the easy way out of one of the most fundamental joints in woodworking. Now as a more mature woodworker, I felt weighed down by the shame and sought to cast it off. I give credit to @Lester Burnham, as his efforts were no small part of my inspiration. I cut one practice joint per night for about a week. It was an interesting process, in that I was surprised in "both directions" as it were. That is, I was initially very surprised at how difficult it was. By that I mean I (foolishly) thought "I'm a decently experienced woodworker...I've made some decent stuff...I can cut a damn fine M&T...this should be cake." The first few joints were humbling. But then I was also surprised at how quickly you get the hang of it. It ain't rocket science. Proper technique is obviously most important, but once you understand the technique it's literally just about putting the time in. Anyway, once I felt I was ready for prime time, I set about making something useful. I settled on @Eric.'s incidental boxes from last year: A beautiful and simple design that allowed me to simply focus on the dovetail joinery. I decided to make two boxes, one for each of my kids. Here they are. Apologies for the crappy lighting and pics. One mahogany and one cherry box. Both with curly maple lids and liners. Finished with Tried and True original finish. Once again, an exact copy of Eric's design. The dovetails aren't perfect (wish I had made the pins a little thinner), but I feel pretty happy with the results. My daughter (5yo) was very excited, and chose the mahogany one. My son (2yo) was...not very excited. My wife was impressed, which paid...dividends. Enjoy.
  46. 17 points
    Well, a lots been happening in my life lately. Readers digest version - Work has been crazy with a ton of new changes, some good some not so good. And then this! I walk in the door home from work a few weeks ago, and the Wife says..." I wanna move to the shore by my sister. " This came out of the blue! So after I realized she was serious, we had 'the talk' then another 'talk' and over the next few weeks more 'talk'. Long story short, with my three daughters being old enough to be self sufficient and the chance to live by water near her sister (who is her only family outside of me and the kids) in a really sweet house all while saving money....we got a realtor. This means I might be going from a fairly new dream barn to a one car garage. Or, more explicitly for the sake of me sharing this here...it may mean my woodworking hobby as I know it, is in my past. Meanwhile, I'm working on a Krenov inspired jewelry box for my oldest daughter and hope to finish it before I run out of time in this house and my barn. The move means an hour commute, and most people would probably say I'm crazy for giving up my shop, and committing to that, but I've run the numbers...Between what my future looks like here, taking care of a big old house and big old pool, and driving up to a smaller but beautiful affordable home in an area that makes me feel like i'm on vacation and giving my wife what she so deserves it makes sense. So, with lots of angst and butterflies...I've committed to make this move. One thing you all should know about me. Throughout my life, I have had many hobbies. I do nothing half assed and woodworking has been no exception. However, my calling in life is not woodworking. I don't eat, breath and sleep it. I do it to keep my crazy mind busy. I've had other hobbies in the past I had become fairly proficient at, and miss doing them, but enjoy the memories and experiences learned. I feel this will be no different. Maybe I'll whittle a boat. I should add, my house is not yet listed, and we are not under contract just yet, but we will likely put in an offer this weekend.
  47. 17 points
    I think I'm done with my christmas crafting. This year i turned maple bowls carved spoons and coffee scoops. And my first snowman.I usually carve a santa with elves. I really like the snowman with punk rock hair. Aj
  48. 17 points
    We recently had to have our family pet of 15 years put to sleep. If you've never had to have a pet put to sleep - count yourself fortunate. He was the best dog we've ever had and will probably be the last. We decided to have him cremated and my wife asked me to make him a cremation urn large enough to hold him and a couple of his favorite toys. I don't mind saying that several tears were shed during its construction - this is from someone who rarely cries. This was the hardest project I've ever had to build. I used cherry wood to make the urn with a spray can finish. I had the local trophy shop engrave his name in the top. It may seem strange to some to go to so much trouble and expense for a dog. We considered him a family member.
  49. 17 points
    I made this a couple of days ago, quickly, to fill a specific need: It is just a simple box platform to elevate my son's 'gaming' TV to a more ergonomic position. Here it is, in place. Sorry for the terrible lighting. Everything else is black. Black TV, black shelving. I planned to paint this platform black too, but he liked the natural wood, so I just did a WWMM special on it. When he said he really liked the natural wood, it struck me just how much I have learned from all of you. This piece is just a fir 2x4 and a piece of spruce shelving. Two or three years ago, I would not have been able to identify the species. I would not have picked through the lumber rack to find a knot-free 2x4. I would have made the sides with squared butt joints, and assembled the whole thing with screws. I probably would not even have gotten it square. If I sanded it at all, I might have gone to 120 grit, at best. Now, I look at and see an elegent, if humble, piece of furniture. I see material selection that I learned from you. I see joinery that I learned from you. I see a simple faceted taper to the sides, that transforms this from a clunky box to a piece if furniture with a distinct and obvious purpose. I see a finish without runs and drips, that doesn't turn the wood into plastic. In this simple platform, I see many, many years of experience and wisdom, all shared in the pages of this forum, that helped ME become a better woodworker. I see a product from which I took joy and satisfaction in producing. To all of you who made this possible, I say a very profound THANK YOU!
  50. 17 points
    These pictures are not perfect but better. I need to buy a proper backdrop. One that i dont need to iron lol.. Here are the final pictures! In the wenge laminations it almost seems like there are rasp marks but Its actually the grain. My wife looked at the pictures and said, you have rasp marks in the wenge! I almost puked in my mouth. I checked the chair which confirmed what I already knew.... So up next, a couple sculpted lowbacks! Stay tuned shopping for the lumber this week! Cant wait!! Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk