• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

423 Excellent

About krtwood

  • Rank
    Journeyman Poster

Profile Information

  • Location
  • Woodworking Interests
    Power Carving, Boxes

Recent Profile Visitors

2,917 profile views
  1. krtwood

    Shop-made tools in Gary Weeks' shop

    Their edge sander and chair back sander are interesting. I made my edge sander with a 12" drive pulley and 6" idler to get different radii. The large radius is a real game changer for working curves and something you just can't get without building your own.
  2. krtwood

    New Jet Planer

    Grizzly has new planers with the same design (for $800 less) and there's a picture with the belt cover off. The motor must move up and down with the cutterhead inside of the cabinet. There's no tensioner. I hope they keep the traditional design around in addition to these. I stack my drum sander on top of my planer to save space and if I'm ever in a position to upgrade from a benchtop planer it's going to be impossible to do that with the handle being where it is. Edit: You can also see the threaded rods for raising/lowering are inside of the posts, which explains the handle location.
  3. krtwood

    West Systems maintenance

    The resin doesn't last forever. Last half inch or so of my gallon container turned into a gel. Not sure how many years I had it but it was a while.
  4. krtwood

    Easiest plunge router

    The Bosch with the switch in the handle is really nice for repetitive short cuts like that. When I was doing my modular jewelry boxes I was using it to make 4 holes for dowels on each side of each drawer box with a template. Being able to just turn it on as you grab it by the handle saves so much time. I really like the Triton in the router table but not so much freehand.
  5. krtwood

    attaching table top to legs

    The Domino came out in 2007. Patents are 20 years. 8 years to go, assuming they didn't file earlier.
  6. krtwood

    Twin Turbo Vise

    My hand tool cabinet is on the wall right behind the vise end of the bench so I like to work there. I occasionally even manage to not cover the bench in crap. My walkways along the long sides of the bench are narrow so any vise there would impale me on a regular basis. It's been a long time since I dealt with any long furniture parts though. Random thought: Couldn't you mount a twin screw vise vertically to use it as a leg vise, as another way of dealing with the racking issue? The central handle of the twin turbo wouldn't be ideal there as it would end up too low.
  7. krtwood

    Cutting Styrofoam on a Bandsaw

    It doesn't cause any problems besides having a mess to clean up.
  8. krtwood

    Twin Turbo Vise

    I've had it for a few months now (I got one of the prototypes to review) and it really is so much better than the Veritas. I guess the only negative thing I can say about it is there isn't really a lot of need for the slow gear speed. The fast speed clamps well enough, in combination with that vise liner, that you don't really need the slow speed. At first I thought I wouldn't really use the fast speed because even the slow speed is faster than the Veritas, but it's the other way around and now I could never go back to how slow the Veritas is.
  9. Cut diagonally across that limb.
  10. Eh, my desk is in worse shape. The key is to keep it covered in crap. A little sharpie action will hide the worst of it.
  11. krtwood

    jet 16 32 drum sander

    Feed your pieces through touching each other. Add in a sacrificial board of the same thickness at the start and end if you are that worried about it. The snipe will only be on the sacrificial board. But I find the snipe from the drum sander is pretty easy to sand out with the random orbit sander and not something I worry too much about.
  12. Here's a little trick for extending the capacity of your 4.5" sleeve spindle sander. You'll need an extra rubber spindle of the same size, which you have because when you threw out your old dead spindle sander you kept the spindles because they're handy to have around. Order some 9" sleeves and put the long sleeve on the first spindle and tighten it down with a ratchet and extension. Then just drop the second spindle on top. I made a small counterbore in it to fit over the nut but it's not really necessary. When you're done I found a tack puller was just the ticket to stick into the hole and get a bite to pull the spindle out. Obviously you haven't increased the size of the bearings or the shaft, and you haven't even got a shaft in half of it, so don't go crazy. If you need this capacity on a regular basis then you need to step up to a bigger machine. But you can buy 5-10 of these little ones for the price of one of those so for the occasional use you're way ahead of the game even if you shorten the life of the sander a bit. I used this for 45 minutes straight today and was not gentle about it either. A little extra vibration from the machine but it worked fine.
  13. I haven't painted my tools, but I've got a bit of a purple thing going on with my workbench and some of my tool stands.
  14. krtwood

    Okay, what's the next buy?!

    Routers: Get the cheapest name brand 2-1/4 hp plunge/fixed base kit you can find, but make sure there's an edge guide available for it and factor that into the combined price. Jigsaw: Bosch is pretty standard, but I've used Makita and liked it just as well. The main question is handle or barrel grip, which you need to decide for yourself. Random Orbit Sander: Bosch is my favorite of the 5" variety.
  15. krtwood

    Oval Segmented Bowl

    I think you're right, because looking closer at what's going on behind there you can see a couple of chainsaws on a weird device. What he's most known for is carving the inside of his turnings with a chainsaw. Though I really can't imagine what value there is in mounting the motor up in the air like that.