Tom King

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Tom King last won the day on June 18

Tom King had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

1,974 Excellent

About Tom King

  • Rank
    Master Poster
  • Birthday 06/27/1950

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Lake Gaston, NC
  • Woodworking Interests

Recent Profile Visitors

4,539 profile views
  1. Tom King

    I'm finally starting to understand

    This is not one of those things that can be figured out only by thinking about it.
  2. Tom King

    Bevel Angle for Scrubbing

    Find another cheap iron. ebay should have some. It really does need to be rounded, or you will have all sorts of terrible tearout along the edges, plus it will be really hard to make deep cuts. Here are some pictures of my Scrub plane that I already have stored here. I would say some radius less than 8", which is the typical radius for a Jack plane. For a 4, the frog will need to be moved back to enlarge the throat as much as possible. The shavings are thick. That's not a shadow in the first picture. It's wear. For bevel angle, I would say 35 degrees since it will be subjected to more abuse than any other plane iron. You take hard strokes, and throw shavings into the air.
  3. Tom King

    Blum Installation

    I'm sure the video is great. I didn't watch it, so sorry if this is redundant, but just want to recommend to anyone using these slides for the first time to make your first drawer out of scrap as a trial. I don't build cabinets as often as I used to, and still do this on my first one, just to make sure I remember everything correctly.
  4. It looks like I expected it to look, which is top notch! I used a miter trimmer for a long time, but after I bought the Shooting Plane, I sold it. A plane blade is a lot easier to sharpen than the big Lion Trimmer blades, but fortunately, neither needs it very often.
  5. Tom King

    I'm building a shop!

    I can't think if a worse job in building anything than putting up insulation overhead. Even sheetrock work is a distant second.
  6. Tom King

    Pine Dresser With "Big Box Pine"

    Wood moves with humidity changes, and varies with wood species, drying method and manner, as well as grain orientation. Different woods move at different rates, and amounts. Pine is on the higher end of that scale. That why it's called woodworking, and not simply building stuff. I believe you did about as good as possible with what you were working with.
  7. Tom King

    West System alternatives

    I've dealt with Jamestown Distributors for decades. I stick with West, only because I've used it for over 30 years, and understand it. Jamestown came out with their own brand a while back. I'm sure it's good too. I think it may be some cheaper.
  8. Tom King

    Thanks for having me!

    Welcome. Carpentry is one of the things I've done for a living, for 44 years now.
  9. Tom King

    I'm building a shop!

    That's going to be a great shop! Those main support rafters look like they would be plenty strong enough to hoist the average woodworking machine off of a trailer, especially if they were tied together between them at the lifting point.
  10. Tom King

    Apothecary chest

    Next time, don't hold back on the design just to make the piece easier to build.
  11. Tom King

    Which Clamp to use?

    How about one of these?
  12. I always sight the edge first, and take off anything like a crooked end, or belly, first. If only 2 feet of a 10 foot board has an end that needs dealing with first. I swing the guard aside enough to drop the board in a little ways before it touches the cutters, and run that end. Sight and repeat until you get something straight enough to start with, to work with. Regardless of how crooked the board is, it might not make a complete pass until the last one or two. I always sight every piece before it touches the infeed table, and plan a strategy how it will be dealt with. That may sound like it takes time, but I don't have to look at it long. Without a strategy, it will take longer, and you might end up wasting more of the board than you need to.
  13. I've been using these for a couple of years now. They aren't heavy duty enough for normal commercial work, but if you are careful enough to keep the tops clean before filling, and not be too heavy handed with them, they do fine. I especially like the pressure release. The best thing is the price, which makes them cheap enough to keep multiples. I have one dedicated to each mix I use for different things. The shelf is in the tractor shed, out of the Sun. I keep one with soapy water, and wash out the wand after use. By doing that, I have not had one trigger, or nozzle to clog up yet. By releasing the pressure, the wand is easily taken off the hose with fingers, yet still seals completely after you put it back on. I don't store them with pressure in them, but leave the mix in the tank between uses until it's used up. The rack for the wands eliminates any inadvertent siphoning, so no spills, and keeps the wand empty after cleaning, until the next use, so no clogs. I think the camera strap pads I use on a couple of them cost more than the sprayer. The only problem I had was one handle breaking at the locking slide. If you wonder about the good gas can spouts:
  14. Tom King

    Bandsaw cut, goo goes everywhere

    Sounds like rough turning green, then sealing for use later is the way to do it, so the bandsaw can be taken out of the process. I've not used end sealer too many times, when I wished later that I had.
  15. Tom King

    Bandsaw cut, goo goes everywhere