Tom King

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Tom King last won the day on May 7

Tom King had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

3875 Excellent

1 Follower

About Tom King

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Lake Gaston, NC
  • Woodworking Interests

Recent Profile Visitors

8881 profile views
  1. Here, floating is the first step/steps after pouring. Anything beyond that is called troweling, whether by hand, or machine. Floating just pushes down the aggregate, and brings the "fat" to the surface. The best finish you can get with any float is still pretty daggone rough. The slicker the finish, the more the trowel/trowel blades are turned up on edge, and the more passes in the process as it sets up, with the trowel getting turned up more on edge for each step.
  2. I wish I'd never sold my Tormek. I had one of the older models. After I bought a CBN wheel, I didn't use the Tormek for several years, so let it go, and then found out, the hard way (makes too much mess), that I shouldn't be dry grinding in the old Museum houses I worked on. I've been tempted to buy the newest model, but don't really need one right now, so am hoping they'll come out with one with a reverse.
  3. My favorite rental place rents stump grinders with tracks. It works really well, but they don't take all the work out of it. One thing I found out was to get on the other side of the stump, as soon as possible. That lets the chips fly out away from the stump. If you just go into the near side, the chips pile up, and you keep digging through them. The trouble with Pine stumps is that they have a big tap root. Its not possible to get all of one of them up, like you can a hardwood, that has all the roots on top of the ground. I get an excavator to dig up Pine stumps, or it takes 8
  4. The use of a transfer punch is Brilliant!!! I should have thought of that myself, but never have. For those that don't know what a transfer punch is, it fits tightly in a hole of a specific size, and has a little tit that sticks out to mark the center, so you can drill parts to mate perfectly. They come in sets. I have a couple of sets that I use for metal work, but never ever thought about using one for simple drawbore marking. I will be from now on!!!
  5. Looking good. Sorry I didn't think to post it earlier, but for utility sinks, I always have built bases (throw any legs away) so that when you are standing, you can place your hands palm down on the bottom, without having to bend over. We have one of the cheap plastic ones, in a plywood base, in the Puppy Room, for washing puppies. Many puppy buyers have copied the idea.
  6. I had some work to do in the Register of Deeds office yesterday. They had the thermometer, and hand sanitizer, which I used both of, but they all Really appreciated it when I told them that I was fully vaccinated. They all said they were too, but still gave out a real sigh of relief. It was a visit more like old times, only with everyone wearing a mask. I can understand someone not wanting to get vaccinated, for whatever the reason, but I don't want them anywhere near me. As far as being friends with people of different beliefs, I can be friendly with anyone, as long as they act r
  7. The reason the whole thing is worse than it could have been, is that too many people wouldn't do their part. Non-symptomatic spread is a terrible thing, that almost half can't seem to understand. Too many simply believe what they want to believe. Especially when so much money is spent to influence people who are easily persuaded. My Scientist friends knew it had the possibility of getting bad back before the first of the year, 2020. None of them, nor any of my friends ever contracted it edited to add: and even more importantly, we never spread it to anyone else. We didn't wait f
  8. Pam, my Mother, and I got our Moderna shots on March 1, and April 1. Our Biggest side effect is Relief!!
  9. When I went to the Sigma stones, sandpaper didn't last long. I now have Atoma 140, and 400 diamond sheets mounted to a granite surface plate for stone flattening. The sheets have adhesive on one side, and are sold in Japan as replacement sheets for Atoma diamond plates. I don't know where you would get them now that Tools from Japan is out of business. Woodcraft used to put 9x12 granite surface plates on sale several times a year. Haven't checked in a few years though. It is possible to produce a flat surface with only two pieces. When we built optical flats, when I was a teenag
  10. I only use wet-or-dry sandpaper with running water (not on wood, of course), or Abranet mesh disks with a sander that has good dust collection hooked up to a vacuum. Even with good dust collection, I won't do the least bit without wearing a supplied air hood. I have a beard, and respirators work pretty poorly with beards. I refuse to breathe Any sanding dust.
  11. Tom King

    more power!

    I wish ours was 350 a month. We have 5 meters spinning here.
  12. That's the kind of sprinkler head I need.