bradpotts

Members
  • Content Count

    530
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

bradpotts last won the day on March 16

bradpotts had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

626 Excellent

About bradpotts

  • Rank
    Journeyman Poster
  • Birthday 05/20/1986

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    bpcustomwoodfurniture.com

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Colorado springs
  • Woodworking Interests
    Learning

Recent Profile Visitors

3053 profile views
  1. Maybe something like this might work? https://www.rockler.com/1-2-power-twist-plus-link-v-belt?msclkid=324634ace80e1a7d8f4554c28ccacb11&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_DSA Page Feed&utm_term=All_Products&utm_content=All Products
  2. Yeah I’m very happy with it too. It makes large glue ups so much less stressful when you can apply that much glue quickly.
  3. I decided to reimagine how I was going to proceed. I wasn't happy with the amount of time and effort that the first shelf front took. I think that the main problem was that the thickness consistency of the Holly was the problem. As a result, I decided to reverse the order I did on the first one and make the Holly 1/8" thick. Then I would cut the strings into 1/16" on the bandsaw, then sand them down to 1/64. After I made all the stringing, I made a template with the right angle. I taped the stringing together and cut it all at once . Then I was able to use the guillotine
  4. I'm not sure what ever happened to the records. I'm sure someone stored them somewhere. It would be interesting to go through them.
  5. I guess it would also depend on how it is used. If you are going to use it as a shelf, I would go with a hard finish like bar top epoxy. Chestnut is right that maintenance with hard wax oils like Rubio or Osmo is much easier. However it seems like maintenance is usually maintained after you notice that it needed maintenance.
  6. Well after I had everything together I didn't like some aspects like small gaps and such. So I spent some time fixing up the errors and making a jig so hopefully the next go around goes a little smoother. You probably can't tell from the pictures but it is a lot better.
  7. Today I got one of the fronts for the shelving done. It was very fussy and took a lot of patience. But, all is well that ends well. Two more to go. I was off about 3/4" over the whole 6' length. This might seem like a lot but turned out to be about 1/128 every inch. Compounding error really catches up to you on spans this long. That is why you build the cabinet around the intricate parts. So now the cabinets final length is 71 1/4.
  8. My mom has a lot of records. She never played them when I was growing up because the record player was broken. She just recently got a new one now that they have come back into style. She listens occasionally. My grandad although long passed has hundreds of Jazz records.
  9. Today I cut out all of the larger squares that go around the squares with Holly. Then I made some jigs to cut all of the Holly that is going around the squares. Here are the jigs. The first one is very simple. I needed the banding to be 1/8" so I made a board with a fence. The fence has to be the same exact with because you are using it as a stop for the edging. Then I took my flush cut saw and made a score. Shoved a razor blade in it. I set the razor in a groove I made that was exactly 1/8" from the fence. Then, I glued a block on the bottom while holding a square onto it. I also glued a litt
  10. I use both but mainly a razor with the grain and a veneer saw against the grain. The best book I have found for starting in veneer is "the craft of veneering" a complete guide from basic to advanced by Craig Thibodeau. I get almost all of my veneer materials from Veneersupplies.com
  11. I started working on the front of the shelves today. Cut one shelf worth of squares. I used the same method as the previous rhombuses. The squares are 2 5/8 from diagonals and the edging is 1/8. Then, set up to cut the holly strips that go around the squares. Got the miters pretty close to where I can appreciate them and batch them out. Tomorrow will be another day of cutting squares, edging and waiting for my glue to arrive. On a side note. This is how I store veneer that is not in use but is in the way. I tape it to my plywood that I am not using anytime soon and stack it up against t
  12. Got all of the ebony veneered onto the three shelves. Still waiting on the glue. It is supposed to be here today. In the meantime, I decided to make a little box using the scraps from the rhombuses. I was originally going to use the scraps for the top but ended up putting on the bottom of the lid. At first, I was going to put a little marquetry piece on the bottom of the lid. I couldn't find anything that I liked that was super simple. So I picked a design that I liked and decided I wanted that for the top. So got out some veneer to pick the colors. Decided on the woods and m