• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Chet last won the day on December 6

Chet had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

3,257 Excellent

About Chet

  • Rank
  • Birthday 07/07/1952

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    : San Jose, California
  • Woodworking Interests
    furniture, cabinetry...

Recent Profile Visitors

7,413 profile views
  1. Chet

    Sawstop folding outfeed table

    Thanks Steve. I don't need one but have wonder as to the quality and ease of use for those that need a set up like this. I guess if you really needed to use it and an assembly area at times, you could use a good piece of ply or mdf as a temporary work surface.
  2. Chet

    Bandsaw setup video

    I have used my miter slot a couple of times but the accuracy wasn't an important factor, I was using it to off cut small pieces from long stock and was using the miter gauge more as a holding devise. I haven't had any real complaints with my Laguna fence but I have been thinking about getting the drift master fence that Laguna sells. Its a little pricey but eliminates the fiddling with the stock fence. Marc has one on one of his Powermatic saws, probably the bigger one, and really likes it.
  3. Chet

    Lifting cabinet saw solo

  4. Chet

    Christmas Dining Table

    Strait edge and a long pattern bit in your router or some thin stock ripped and planned as a template with your router.
  5. Welcome to the forums John.
  6. I am with Kev, I think I would put just a dab top and bottom.
  7. Chet

    full extension wood drawer slides

    Dave, I don't know if you still have the article, but if you don't and you still subscribe you can go to their website and do a search by subject of author if you remember his name. You may have to go through a few pages to find the correct article but once you do, you can download the pdf file and print it out.
  8. Chet

    Phenolic vs Cast Iron

    Phenolic is great... and cast iron can be too but it has to be taken care of like any of your other cast iron tool to prevent rust. Phenolic is pretty much maintenance free.
  9. Chet

    Is this a good buy?

    Floor standing 6 inch models can be readily available and are a good place to start as a lot of hobbyist sellers are up grading to 8 or 12 inch models. Grizzly, Powermatic, Jet, older Delta's even Ridgid all can be good but you need to be mindful of what you are getting. And the longer the tables the better. As a self declared newb you should ask for a demo unless you are comfortable doing it yourself. Take a piece of lumber maybe 18 - 24 inches long, 3 - 4 inches wide to test with. If you have a good straight edge take that with you to check that the tables are flat.
  10. Chet

    Is this a good buy?

    If you are a beginner and at this point not real comfortable with the operation of a jointer, I would go look at it and ask the seller to show you how it surfaces a face and edge on a piece of lumber. If he has no problem showing you those two operations and the results are good then I would offer something around $50. But remember, like Brendon said above a machine like that is going to have certain limitations and starting with some smaller projects could be the way to go.
  11. Chet

    PJ882-HH Funny Noise

    The one time I called they answered on the ring. No menu, no back ground music, just a nice and helpful human. She had to transfer me to another department and that went smoothly. Everything was done and taken care of in a matter of 5 minutes or so. I was just ordering a part, but I did call and they did answer.
  12. +1 Welcome to the forums ifly. You said you are a newbie so I think purchasing the guild build would be a great thing to do. It runs about $100 but there are 18 videos that consist of almost 5 hours of instruction from Darrell Peart. Lots of insight, techniques and jigs to make the whole process pretty easy. And if you have any questions you have the ability to email him for answers. Well worth it.
  13. Chet

    Christmas Dining Table

    How about some kind of a small corbel design, either to use on the outside of your slide assembly or on the inside of your leg assemble where they would not show as much.
  14. Chet

    Another Roubo...

    I think Gramercy are some of the nicest holdfasts out there. I had some leather pockets made for the ends of my holdfasts, that way you don't have to use a scrap piece to keep from marring your work piece.
  15. Chet

    Miter Bench for the New Shop

    Thats going to be a nice station. That low grade walnut you are using, is there a reason you lumber guy carries it. It doesn't seem like anything useful for furniture making and I can't think of an uses for it that would have him carrying it all the time.