• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

404 Excellent

About collinb

  • Rank
    Master Poster
  • Birthday 01/06/1956

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
    - A Wisconsin ex-pat surviving Ohio.
  • Woodworking Interests
    figuring out techniques.

Recent Profile Visitors

4753 profile views
  1. collinb

    what is this?

    Looks like an old saw tooth set but with old stuff who knows. Couldn't get a good enough pic of the text to see the maker clearly. (Got it in a 19th c. woodworking tool box at a yard sale this a.m.)
  2. I was able to get my machinist at work to fabricate a pair. They'll do just fine. Just one problem remaining: 160mm saw blades. The 130mm (5") for the ABEL-130 are all over the place. But it's hard to find the 160mm blades. Suggestions?
  3. I found the same. At this point I'm thinking of fabricating a set. We have a mill at work that will do the job.
  4. Went to a yard sale on Sat. A retired woodworker was getting rid of a lot of stuff. Mostly construction tools but some other good pieces. I got two fret saws, Abel 130 & 160. The 160 is missing the blocks that hold the blade. Anyone know where a guy can obtain them?
  5. Tommy Mac was so ... East Coast. Bluster & all. Not my cup of tea. The local PBS affiliate (WOSU) is looking to put Classic Woodworking and another they say is a "good companion program" on later this Summer. They have me curious. The guys in Iowa (Woodsmith Shop) have a nice format but sometimes they come across as uncertain of themselves even though they clearly know what they're doing. Camera shy, it seems. A show from here in Ohio (American Woodshop) is ok but too craft-ish for my tastes. I watch him for his finish skills more than how he deals with live edge or his lathe. (It is a bit odd that he covers the brands on all his equipment.)
  6. I only watched Rough Cut a few times. Tommy was too much personality for me. But didn't someone say that the show changed host at one time? This was not the same guy as the Rough Cut I watched.
  7. I was in NOLA last week for a conference and one day had the TV on and came across the show. Unfortunately it isn't on my local Create affiliate. Bummer. At least the videos are online. Good stuff.
  8. Carpenter's Apprentice Paul Klassen (see Facebook) Quality, precise, and attractive work.
  9. One thing I've learned this past five years is that not all tools are a good fit for me, or for a given purpose. I've found that my arm motions don't work well with the straight-handle saws for dovetailing. The traditional saw handle works better give my arm motions and grip. As I posted regarding two planes a couple of months ago one was more comfortable for arm motion 'x' while the other felt better for 'y.' I've a friend who does construction work and who still uses his old Dewalt NiCd tools because of the balance. The newer tools don't fit his use so well. I do this when recommending (again) cameras: Check the feel and comfort before buying because they're all good. The moral of the story: "Buy once" works for many things but not all and certainly not for anything that you hold in your hand.
  10. She does tomatoes, apples, blackberries, and pumpkin. Some years when we find sweet corn cheap enough she will blanch/freeze that. Blackberries obviously become preserves. I've learned from her that most any pumpkin will do. The "pie" pumkins are simply a different flavor & sweetness. She will bake the pumpkin, hollow it out and then can the goods. One canned item I never enjoyed that my mother's mother did was to make tomato preserves. But my Dad loved them. (As long as you use a sweet tomoato.) A food of past generations that has been forgotten.
  11. Clearly very old by the lettering style.
  12. This is 1/2 of a quilting rack. You need two of them that are mirror-images and some braces between. Then add bars for spools in each of the three notches. If you have a friend who quilts -- they know how this works. Two spools on the back side pull forward and combine to the third spool. In between is where the work gets done. But I only have one. Use it as a template to build a mate (or more for other people). You can have this for $15 + actual shipping.
  13. Wife needed some shelves for her canned goods. She would have been happy with a 2x4 solution. But I just couldn't. You understand. So I measured and cut and routed and dadoed and glued and screwed and even filled in the excess dado with some leftover cutoff pieces. Also made the shelf extend to fill in the gaps between the 2x4s Just a few finishing touches left for tomorrow. And cleanup. The moral of the story is that even white lumber can be made to look nice. Utility need not be ugly.