CharlesC

Members
  • Posts

    25
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Woodworking Interests
    Making firewood

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

CharlesC's Achievements

Apprentice Poster

Apprentice Poster (1/3)

15

Reputation

  1. The one I got the guy had removed the impeller because his dust collector couldn't keep up with it. That impeller also cools the motor. Not sure if that would be enough to help a bearing along to failure though.
  2. I actually got one of these planners for free because of the same issue. The bearings are not exactly easy to get to or get off but replacements were only $5 and planer works fine now. Took me about 4 hours to get the job done.
  3. Yeah that auto close feature keeps the blocks in place. They don't need to be very heavy duty, the bar the top pivots on takes all the load.
  4. So much for that. Now we've got a fire just a few miles away. 4000 acres burned in about 8 hours.
  5. Found it! I actually meant to make the title of this topic a question because I was sure this had been thought of before.
  6. I'm in orange county California. Thanks for the welcome!
  7. Yeah I noticed that when I first put it together. I handled it by driving a screw through the side edge right through the pipe. It's just electrical conduit so it was easy enough to drill through.
  8. There seem to be two versions of these flip top stands that are most common online. One uses some eye bolts and star knobs and the other uses barrel locks. Like so: I had an idea on how to do it a different way that I thought was decent so I'd thought I'd share. Use 4 hinges at each corner with a small block attached that will support the top and prevent it from spinning when all 4 are "closed". I just did this today so no idea if it will hold up but so far it seems fine. A short movie is the best way to explain
  9. Oh yeah that was a whole other disaster I didn't even mention. Since my plug cutter is crap I drilled the hole with a bit that was 1/32 smaller than the plug. Damn thing was tight enough that it put a hairline split in the breadboard. That damn top was death by 1000 cuts.
  10. That's the hope at least! I considered it but I was pissed and wanted it to look like how I planned it lol. There were other smaller defects in the top too and I just wasn't happy with it. Good learning experience though because I have a kitchen table on the list.
  11. Well crap. One minute let me fix it up. Should look better now I think.
  12. My kids have gotten into board games a lot over the past few months. The kitchen table doesn't work all the time for playing because if games run into supper time there's a lot of drama with getting the table cleaned off. The floor is uncomfortable for playing so I wanted a big coffee table that could handle a good sized board game. I'm already done with this so I'll post the finished version first. Its made mostly out of maple I found for cheap ($1.50 bf) at habitat for humanity. The panels and top ended up being maple plywood. I'm not great at taking progress pics so forgive the huge gaps in progress. I only rough sketched the design before I got started which will probably seem obvious in the end. Here's the material I started with after a rough cutting some of it down. Trying to get a sense of scale to figure out how tall and wide it should be Laying out a drawer front. Drawers and sides were put together with tongue and groove. The side panels are mortise and tenon into the legs. Side panel glue up: This was my first time working with maple and first time doing a breadboard top. The maple is really unforgiving for showing gaps in any of the joinery because it is so light. I intended to peg the breadboards only through the bottom but messed up and ended up drilling one hole all the way through the breadboard. So I tried to patch it with a plug but my plug cutters are crap and they don't even match what size they are supposed to be. So then I ended up routing out for a dutchman patch, but even at my best I couldn't get the lines around the patch to be as small as I wanted. Damn maple, why you gotta be like that! I thought maybe after some finish went on it would look better but it looked worse. Finally I gave up on it and made a second top with a walnut border around it to hide any deficiencies in the joint between the top and border. I'll repurpose this patched top for an outdoor table or something (after painting it). Here's a view of how the interior went together. A piece of 1/4 ply and a 2x4 were added to mount the drawer slides on Heres a picture of what could have been. I think this top's design is much better than what I ended up with. It fits the look of the rest of it better and the thickness is a better proportion than the final version too. Oh well. Live and learn. Final version
  13. Here is a video on making that lift: https://woodworking.formeremortals.net/2012/03/build-a-router-lift/
  14. My HD started carrying what they call 'cabinet grade ply' a few months ago. It's kind of like BB-lite or maybe on the same level as Aruco. Good deal for $30 for a 4x8 sheet though. It has about 7 plys in a 3/4 sheet and few voids but you still get overlapped plys and a lot of dutchmen and other fills.