• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


bleedinblue last won the day on April 18

bleedinblue had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

1210 Excellent


About bleedinblue

  • Rank
    Master Poster

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    ......Eureka, Mo
  • Woodworking Interests
    Hobbyist, small furniture, etc

Recent Profile Visitors

3903 profile views
  1. Thanks Coop. I haven't been real active here or in the shop this summer, but I'm not going anywhere. I'm aware of the Houston area copper. The ambushes and targeted killings are the hardest to stomach.
  2. Yesssssir. I ordered directly from this page.
  3. I installed the Rikon impeller today. HUGE difference in suction. I should have done this a long time ago. My super scientific "put my hand in front of the hose" test showed nearly doubled cfm's.
  4. At least they're cheap. I thought maybe Infinity or one of the other aftermarket companies had carbide knives, but I couldn't find them. Thanks! I could probably touch them up a time or two. I want to get a new set to have on stand by in case I screw them up though, lol.
  5. For those who have straight knives, do we need to buy replacements from Felder or are there better alternatives?
  6. If I threw out a number it would be a wild guess and I'd be off a long ways. The best I can say is it seemed to go real quick. I usually don't have whole shop days, usually just one or two hours at a time, and it doesn't seem like I spent a lot of hours in this build at all. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but the live edge dead man was just a hair brained, spur of the moment idea. I had no real use for the board otherwise and thought it might flow well with the old-timey feel for the rest of the bench. It's actually only 4/4, so I laminated a second 4/4 board with a heavy chamfer on the back. Doing that lamination made cutting the 90* notch on the bottom very easy, since I just cut 45* chamfers on the bottom of each before the glue up.
  7. Thanks man. I was lukewarm to the look of the bench until I wiped it down with mineral spirits the first time. I dig the color. I thought about filling the pores of the top, and I suppose theres no reason I can't do so at some point.
  8. Same. Occassionally I'll get brave and venture toward Minwax wipe on poly, or most recently Waterlox...both of which have extremely similar properties, application method and results as ARS
  9. It's something like 2 3/8". Partly to make it easy to slide clamps in, partly to hit 24" total width. Each slab ended up slightly narrower than the plans called for but I still wanted at least 24".
  10. I'm really disappointed in the photos, I may (but probably won't) dig out the DSLR and try to snap a few quality pictures. These are just so washed out they didn't capture the figure in the wood or depth of the color variations. Something odd...the dead man and end cap are both cherry, and mostly heart wood, but the color just isn't there. Hopefully they start to catch up with the leg vise chop.
  11. Alright, got a bit impatient. Photo dump time. I couldn't capture the ray fleck on the tops in the pictures, so that sucks. It's not perfect and never was going to be...but I'm happy, happier than I expected to be. I think I made it the best I could have given my skill, time to dedicate, and material.
  12. Yup, I know. I'm using up some leftover waterlox. I will certainly have to be careful not to build up too much of a finish.
  13. So I had to go back to work and that really derailed my shop time. But...ya know what today is? Finishing day. The bench is complete, save for the lower shelf and some trimming i will need to do to the dogs to account for the rubber/cork. I ain't gonna lie, the bench is starting to look cool. The finish is making it pop. Pictures later today or tomorrow.
  14. The chop is cherry and maple. The 6/4 cherry I was going to double up to use for the chop ended up being a little too thin after milling, so I laminated some scrap maple in between the two halves of cherry. Kind of an after thought and the only place maple has been used on the bench, but whatev. The deadman will likely be cherry as I have a lot of it on hand, and the end cap and dogs are cherry. I have some live edge cherry that could turn out pretty cool. As I type this though...I realize I do have quite a bit of curly maple and that may tie into the maple in the chop...
  15. Thanks to government inefficiency, I was off all weekend. The major lifting is done. It needs a lot of cleanup, flattening, etc, but at least it now looks like a bench. I ended up at about 82" long and 24 1/2 inches wide. The gap stop is about 2 1/4". Back to work tomorrow, but after flattening, I'll be on to shaping the chop, making the shelf, making the gap stop and figuring out what I'm going to use for the deadman. All relatively quick, tasks.