• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by gee-dub

  1. I went back and forth on an alternate truss configuration to increase storage for quite some time. In the end there were a few contributing factors. - Where I live attic temps can reach 160 degrees for extended periods. - I have other outbuildings for storage. - I'm not getting any younger. - I had to make some tough decisions as to how to spend the budget. If I wanted that additional storage, and believe me I had a plan including it . . . decking, storage layout, access, etc. I could have gone with a full or partial different truss format, insulated differently or done some ot
  2. Finished the external electrical boxes today but this was the highlight.
  3. If you separate post-blower all the spoil will pass through the blower.
  4. I will have an outdoor switch and outlet at each door. I like the box just shy of flush and use a quick "jig" to help with alignment. These lockable covers will activate a "porch" light over each door and provide an outlet for whatever one may want one for in those areas.
  5. Yes. Lots of dedicated circuits.
  6. Thanks for all the input guys. That is the real value of these forums. All the holes for internal wiring are drilled.
  7. Seriously, I did use a backer board to make the self-feed keep feeding once it exited the 2x. Pretty much the effort involved is holding the drill motor and aiming .
  8. How furniture makers bore for Romex
  9. Nothing that shows but I finished sealing the control joints.
  10. First pic just shows the holes cut to accept 2" pipe nipples. Used with conduit lock nuts and insulating bushings this creates a pathway between boxes as per the NEC. One is for the feeds between service panels. The other is just in case I need pathway for who-knows-what years from now. The original plan was two ground rods at a set distance. We even drew it that way originally. Current code allows the use of a WWII era technology; a Ufer ground. This is a concrete encased electrode and this is what I went with.
  11. More joints sealed and the second service panel added.
  12. LOL, I had a similar experience when a 20-something kid had a room up, and taped before I could blink. I swore I would never do drywall again. Maybe I should stand by my word.
  13. Nope. It's the Glenn Show from here on out. I am thinking on having the drywall and insulation done for me though. That is one job that brings me little joy ;-) I did take my first shot at the control joint sealing. Came out OK. I have a little bit more to do . . .
  14. First steps, sweep up after the contractors, vacuum the control-joint cuts in the slab and seal the cuts and the slab-to-bottom-plate joints. If I get that done today I will feel pretty good as it is several hundred feet of caulking.
  15. Final inspection complete. The next phase begins: 2100
  16. Here's a good article on clamping. PVA glue makers recommend a max of 250 lbs/sq. in. for hardwoods. Many clamps outside the one handed and light-duty versions go well beyond this. Over-clamping can starve a glue joint by squeezing out or driving in the glue which fails to leave a good glue layer (Franklin says 5mil or less, pre-clamping, is optimal) between the parts to be joined.
  17. Nice job on a nice upgrade. You'll enjoy that for sure. I am a big fan of drawers in everything so good move there as well.
  18. I use 3/4" BB ply for the base and have run UHMW, aluminum and quarter-sawn wood runners with success. All have been in use for many years.
  19. Darn . . . Coffee on the monitor, again
  20. Yep, My previous shop ran on a 50 or 60 amp breaker . . . apparently I'm starting to forget. That was DC, tool and all lights. Never had a problem. I will have HVAC in the new shop which I have never spoiled myself with before. Load calcs put us at 100 with a growth margin. Real world consumption at a given moment . . . much less .
  21. Correct on code, at least hereabouts. I have had scenarios where I have had multiple 240v outlets on a single circuit for machines that are used one at a time. I don't leave my planer running while I am jointing for example. While some folks build this way to save on wire runs I did it due to physical position capacity issues in the load center at that shop. The plan is for a 240v outlet for each 240v machine I already have of course. I will have a few others in wall locations where 240v is likely to be brought into use. These would be for additional 240v machines or relocated existi
  22. - 100amp service and 240v. I'm just a hobbyist. An enthusiastic hobbyist but still . . . My previous shop ran on a 60 amp service, lights and all without issue. I just wanted to be sure I would have room to grow pretty painlessly.
  23. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  24. Passed final in electrical. Just a couple nuisance items on the building to go.
  25. Gets the mini-split line sets out of the walls and to the outdoor unit with a clean, well sealed path.