• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6 Neutral

About Cdlong

  • Rank
    Apprentice Poster

Profile Information

  • Woodworking Interests
    Not sure yet

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Will mineral oil cause problems with the finish later? It says it's oil based so I'm guessing no, since they're both oils, but pretty new to finishing so all the conflicts and interactions are a mystery to me. I'm reading Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner so I'm getting there, but only on chapter 2 at this point. Thanks Coop. Yeah, saving time is not the goal here. In fact we made some the other night with a rolling pin, just looking for something unique to do.
  2. Given the current climate, we can't get tortillas so one item on my honey do list just got bumped up a ways, making a tortilla press. It was at the "meh, if you ever get to it" position on the list, now it's near the top since I think I have all the material I need. What I don't have is some food safe finish to coat it with. I'm not going to go out to buy anything so I have to work with what I have. That consists of various oil and water based polyurethane and some spar urethane. I could probably put some mineral oil on it, or just leave it bare for now and use some wax paper or silicone ba
  3. Marc's jewelry box build looks to use the same joint, but with some different techniques. Start at 3:40 for the dovetails in case it doesn't automatically go there.
  4. Seems like I should have been able to come up with a name like that So it's just a drill attachment for shaping and getting in tight corners? I'll look for a spindle. These look straight, finding replacements might be a challenge, and also not necessary since I don't know what I'd use these for with the work that I do at the moment.
  5. I went to a woodworking tool estate sale and one of the things I got was a set of drawers full of sandpaper and sanding supplies. All sorts of blocks, paper, edge contour thingys, all sorts of handy stuff. One of the things is a few of these little spools that look like a step bit made of 80 grit sand paper but without any spindle. Maybe 1 1/2" high and it looks to be all one piece in a big spiral. Any idea what this is? Is it missing pieces or is it a hand held thing? I didn't see a spindle in the box but maybe I missed it. I don't even know what to call it. Also attached a pic o
  6. Thanks for the discussion. I figured there was a difference in scale in the complication, but the process looks similar. Nice work by the way. I do enjoy the projects and the detailed explanation.
  7. I just googled it for the proper term, maybe I got it wrong. Here's another one calling it a half blind dovetail.
  8. I've never cut dovetails so I really don't know what I'm talking about, but is this really fundamentally any different from lapped dovetails?
  9. So I went to check mine, I have 2 50" clamps. The faces on each clamp are both parallel to each other, but not the bar, and both clamps are the same. The fixed end leans in to the bar, maybe 1/16", and the adjustable end leans in the same amount, the same direction (away from the bar in this case). Should I check into replacing them? I'll have to go to the local big orange box to see if they have any better ones.
  10. Like the bottom of a crutch? I'm not sure how to incorporate it, but why not use the bottom of an actual crutch? You can get a pair at any goodwill for dirt cheap.
  11. Thanks for the input. I've never worked with poplar, should be nice.
  12. That fitting is too small unfortunately. I just had a chance to check it and the ID of the hose fitting is about 1.8" and the OD of the dust deputy inlet port is about 1.94". The OD of the fitting is just over 2 1/4" so maybe I could use it "backwards". But the largest section of the dust deputy is just over 2 1/8" so it sounds like it'll need a lot of tape. Maybe a 2 1/4" coupler would work, or this, depending on how flexible it is. Though a 2" PVC pipe is actually 2 3/8" OD and 1 1/2" is 1 7/8" OD so a 2" or 1
  13. Some updates after a discussion with my wife and other research. The trays need to be 2" deep and have 1" of sand in them so that cuts down on the weight I calculated two posts up. Looking more like 7 lbs each. The ideal lumber size seems to be a 1/2" x 2 1/2" board to start with. The big box stores have that size in Poplar and Oak. I seem to remember some youtuber mentioning popular is technically a hardwood, would it be strong enough you think? Or should I go with the Oak? Here's a slight update to the plans, with some dimensions. I think I might just make the dados the same s
  14. I got a dust deputy for Christmas and got a hose kit from Rockler Both seem nice but I have no idea since I can't connect the two together. The fitting for the hose (the all grey piece in the link pictures) if about 1/8" too small to fit on the dust deputy inlet. Is there a larger fitting you can get from Rockler or Dust Right? I can't seem to find any. I'd rather not add an adapter but that's a possibility, but most convert fr
  15. The top rabbet in the first set of sketch is only 1/4" already, I set it that way to match the top thickness though it doesn't really have to. I made the bottom rabbet taller to make a small slot to ease separating them when stacked, which is also maybe not necessary, but would be nice. If I switched the orientation, then the top wouldn't have a recess to fit into. I could make the top full size and make a lip on it to go around the sides, more complicated, but I'd only have to do it once (probably twice to make two stacks) so it's not much to do. For reference and my own documentation