• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

315 Excellent

About h3nry

  • Rank
    Journeyman Poster

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
  • Woodworking Interests
    furniture, hand-tools

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Yup ... I have a whole one-car garage to play with (apart from a few bicycles). it's a bit colder in the shop though ... it took all the heaters I could find to keep it above freezing for that -35 cold snap.
  2. Thanks guys ... it's good to see some familiar names still here. Now I need to find something else to clutter the bench up with ...
  3. Well ... I thought I ought to post an update on this thread ... It's not all good news ... on the move back to Canada this piece didn't fare too well for a number of reasons. First ... at some point in the move the package containing this got dropped, and three of the legs broke off, and the rest of the carcass got badly damaged. Second ... the move from a humid tropical environment with no seasons, to the bone-dry climate of Alberta (also the wood was probably just air dried) caused some serious shrinkage ... I knew there would be some, but it was seriously more than I anticipa
  4. h3nry


    I'm back in Cow-Town now, although my shop is still on its way north. Welcome to the forum 4fiddy. Shane is just green with envy that he doesn't live here too ... well he's green with something!
  5. This boat is looking fantastic. Thanks for sharing with us.
  6. I've always been happy with the exotics and figured veneers that I've ordered from veneersupplies.com and their website is very good at showing you what you will get. For less remarkable veneers, I've had good luck watching e-bay for shops selling bundles of off-cuts and excess sheets in quantities that are too small for them to use, but go a long way for hobby use.
  7. Just catching up on this Dave ... looking good ... very good
  8. Or use Zebrawood and forget about the stain.
  9. My #6 just sits on the shelf too - basically because I'm too lazy to keep the iron sharp. The #5 or #7 will usually do the job, and I always make sure that they are sharp.
  10. You're cutting dovetail joints without any kind of saw at all? you deserve a medal! That's not just neanderthal, that's positively australopithecan.
  11. I can resaw 1/8 with just a rip-saw if I take my time, but 1/16 would be challenging. For a one-off guitar top it wouldn't be so bad given all the other precision work that goes into making an acoustic instrument, and spruce saws pretty easy too. But making a habit of it will probably have you saving pennies for a band saw.
  12. Thanks guys - I work as a geologist with the oil industry, so not much available anywhere in the world right now. I'm sure I'll still be lurking here admiring what you're all building.
  13. Unfortunately this project is going to have to go on hold. Last week I got laid off from my job, and now I have to pack up and move back to Canada since without a contract my visa will expire in a short time. My house in Calgary still has tenants in it, so it will be a few months before there's any chance of starting up again ... and I don't think there's much work for me there at the moment anyway. sorry guys, you'll just have to wait to see this finished. But to add a serious question, does anyone know if Canada has any rules forbidding the importation of unfinished wood? I got giv
  14. Nothing like making life difficult for yourself by mixing saws on a single cut - The hand-saw should be good for the whole cut - That way it will come out planar, and you should be able to finish it off well enough with a rigid sanding block if it's still a bit rough. How square it is will depend on how well you laid out the cut. A piece that size I would saw from all four sides rotating the block every few cuts until you have nice deep kerfs established all around the beam, that way you should be able to stay on your line.
  15. Here you go - image scaled so that the black line is 6.3" for the bed width. The small square at the bottom of the leg is 0.2", and the big square at the top is 0.3" That just looks like 8/4 to me.