bjorn rettig

Members
  • Content Count

    35
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About bjorn rettig

  • Rank
    Apprentice Poster
  • Birthday April 24

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Redmond, WA
  • Woodworking Interests
    Shaker style furniture
  1. Same on my bench. In addition to that my legs were a 1/8" thinner than planned, which I had completely forgotten, so my gap stop is now 1/4" less wide - that's why I used a solid board as gap stop (and that is tapered). It works and if anybody ever asks me, I pretend it was meant as a feature.
  2. My bench does not move at all. The top is so heavy that even when I put it on the base without having the mortises cut, it almost didn't move. But if you feel better with through tenon/mortises, just do it.
  3. Thank you! My main wood was Douglas Fir from old floor boards. This came from a 1905 factory building that was taken down a few years ago. The dog hole strip is hard maple. the bench dogs are mystery wood. No idea, some dense hardwood (was part of a pallet) the end cap is curly maple the leg vise is African Mahogany and walnut for the parallel guide the dead man is walnut and just for fun I added a strip of walnut to the gap stop. that's pretty much it. I selected the wood by what I had around. I happened to have a large hard maple board for the dog strip, also had the curly maple,
  4. I'm done. And I'm really happy. This was one of the best projects I have done. I absolutely enjoyed it. If you dream it, you can build it! Without the videos I know I would have never completed it. I feel giddy with excitement thinking about how much I learned. Tomorrow I will go to the Marc Adams school of woodworking and have a class with Michael Fortune - and Christopher Schwarz will be there building a workbench with another class. I wanted to be done before that and I made it. Not I can turn my attention back to my regular woodworking. thank you! --bjorn
  5. Oh, yes, feeling awesome. I should have mentioned that I was really surprised when I put the base together and I measure for square, everything was square. Everything fit together with not more than a 1/64 gap, which I consider as close to perfect as I believe I can make it. I left the legs about 2" longer than in the plan - I might have to shorten them, because now the bench feels high - but I will still lose 1" in height, once I have the proper mortises in.
  6. I was only able to work in the shop today, but made good progress. Still need mortises in the top, but I wanted to see the bench, so I put the top on.
  7. Steve, I have a fairly substantial planer (part of the MiniMax CU300) and it wasn't able to pull the slab through either. I had to push and pull. I even asked on the Minimax user forum and nobody was surprised given the weight of the slabs. I would toss out the planer just because it fails to do these huge slabs, because it's not often that you throw that kind of work at them.
  8. Yeah! For the first time I'm at the same stage as the videos are. I spend about 8 hours yesterday and 9 hours today in my (cold) shop. Yesterday I finished the base, and today just finished the leg vise. I hit only a minor problem, when I used too large of a drill bit to predrill for the tap holes. Oh well, that's what they made epoxy for What's next in the videos? How many do we have left? The base. Recycled Douglas fir like the top. Unfortunately I had almost no quarter sawn fir left, but it's a base. The leg vise is made from a piece of African Mahogany. The parallel guide is
  9. Good luck! And hang in there. At times it seems that there's so much work, it's hard to see the end result, but it's doable. I'm working on my leg vise today and therefore caught up with the Marc's videos. Soon my bench will be standing You will be there too.
  10. I would only change them, if they create a problem. Right now I actually like them. Just to make sure I know what I'm missing I shortened one. And besides being shorter I see no difference.
  11. I finished all the mortises and tenons in the base, next would be the leg vise, but I want to use a special piece of wood for that, but I haven't found one yet. So, I went back to my front slab and finished the tail vise. I was procrastinating a bit with that part, because I had my end cap problems and while I believe I had fixed the problems, I wasn't 100% sure. Well, I shouldn't have been doubting myself - everything fit perfectly. The vise works great! Having that all done, I wanted to have a few bench dogs. I created the first one and then a "dog breeder" to crank out 11 more. After I w
  12. since this was a lot of routing, I used my circular saw to cut the two long cuts and then routed the rest. In my opinion that made the process much qicker.