danbell78

Members
  • Content Count

    76
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

81 Good

1 Follower

About danbell78

  • Rank
    Apprentice Poster

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Central Illinios
  • Woodworking Interests
    Hobbyist, Cabinets and furniture building

Recent Profile Visitors

1772 profile views
  1. I am strongly leaning towards going with paint as a salvage option here. I just keep finding more spots of filler and don't want to spend too much time on this and still be disappointed in the finish or quality of the piece.
  2. I will get some photos tonight and add them in.
  3. So I just inherited a half done Grandfather clock, neighbor had it left in his house when he moved in and gave it to me to finish up or do as I wish. The story I got was that the prior owner/woodworker was not happy with how it was turning out and threw in the towel and gave up on it. Upon initial inspection last night the biggest problem I noticed that on a few spots he had tried to fix some poor glue ups with some kind of filler. biggest spot is on the raised panels on the sides of the top. The wood is walnut, but he had used a light colored filler. So what are my best options for getting this color corrected? A - stain the whole thing a darker shade of walnut (likely oil based stain) B - Use a stain marker or even a Sharpie to color in just the filler then oil based poly or similar on the whole thing C - go for a dye instead of a stain and hit the whole thing D- Some how clean out all of this filler and refill with something appropriately colored (nervous on this one to just make it worse) E - try to remove and replace the panels F - open to other ideas? Thanks!
  4. Are there any options out there for dado stacks that do not use shims for the adjustments? I hate dealing with the shims, they keep getting caught down in the threads on the arbor and then jamming things up or taking a bite out of the shim. Even had one stuck so bad that I thought it was all snugged up, flipped the saw on only to have it then come loose and take a chip out of one of the chippers. I like using dado stacks, but hate dealing with this part of it.
  5. Just completed this table/bookcase. Made from white oak. Was my first adventure in through tenons. Think they turned out pretty good. Finish was a challenge, tried some tinted shellac, and then bailed out on that. Went with just a oil based stain then some wipe on poly. This will go to the entry way at church to hold bulletins, hand outs and some books.
  6. Maybe I just took the easy way out, but why do you need a finish at all on this? I left mine unfinished, sure it might get some dirt or smudges on it, but it's an outdoor yard game so that doesn't bother me. They seem to slide fine regardless of temperature or humidity.
  7. I agree with Isaac, red oak stains pretty well. If you go too dark it can really make the grain pattern strong, perhaps that is what is turnin people off on this. As for a work bench, I would not hesitate too much on red oak if that's what was available to me.
  8. And with the scraps from the bunk beds comes my first end grain cutting board! Just took the cutoff from the panels, trimmed to size and glued up.
  9. Completed the installation of the bunk beds over the weekend! I think they turned out pretty good. Very solid, as expected. There are a few flaws, but nothing that others have noticed. Well I take that back my wife actually pointed out to me that the posts on the bottom bunk headboard you can see that it is a glue up, since one board was light and one darker on both posts, so I should have put the 2 darker ones together etc. I think the kids like it, and hopefully it lasts until their kids can use them someday.
  10. I thought I took a picture of the route I ended up taking on the head/foot boards, but apparently I didn't. I ended up doing two at a time and just screwed into the bottom of the posts through a sheet of plywood, and set that on the saw horses. Worked great until I got heavy handed with the spray on the big head board and ended up with some sags to sand off and redo. I still ended up getting the bed done and in place the day after Christmas. Along with Santa bringing the girls their new bedding they were pretty happy with the new set up. Now onto building the bookcase and desk sides, some rails and a ladder so I can bunk them!
  11. Last coat going on the rails. Now I need to figure out how to rig up 4 head/foot board for spraying.
  12. Bottom bunk Ready for the finishing to begin!
  13. All the head/foot boards done, ready for finish. And I even have one thing that looks like a bed! That will be the top bunk. I need to shift focus a bit though and get finish on all of these parts so that I can put the beds to use over the Christmas break. They won't be bunked, but should be fine setting on the floor for a bit while I finish the casework for the bunking.
  14. More progress over the weekend. Got a total of 3 head/foot boards glued up. #4 should happen tonight. Glue up went smoother they I was expecting. I did get some Titebond extends to give me a bit more time to get all 24 of the dominos in place. Next step, rails and adding the cleat on the rails to support the mattress. I was planning to use pine 2x2 for this and a pine ply under the mattress, but didn't like the pine ply I had available, so upgraded that to a maple ply. Then the pine 2x2 seemed out of place, so maple for that spot too! (Wife laughed at me for these upgrades, since I said I didn't want the bottom bunk to have to look at the pine stuff on the top bunk)