Scott Clark

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

Profile Information

  • Woodworking Interests
    Turning, carving, general wood working
  1. Electrical codes in NY are pretty stringent. You need an earth ground for the main panel and if you have sub panels in a separate building they each need their own earth ground. You cannot use plumbing in that case. It needs to be a n 8ft copper rod outside the building. Even if it is not required it is a better way to do things. I totally agree.... talk to an inspector or hire an electrician if you don't know what you are doing with it.
  2. I didn't mean to start the great debate here. I am more concerned with every time I touch a pipe or work surface that may be connected that I get a shock. Not so much of things blowing up. I have had my leg next to the separator connected to the sander and every few minuted I would get a good shock.... nothing fatal but slightly painful and annoying. I was mainly just looking to avoid the fact of touching anything in the shop and getting a shock. Thanks for the input though..... it was quite educational! I have to keep my kids away from the post. Don't want to ruin Christmas for
  3. Thanks... I assume that grounding the pipes is a must with the metal ducting that is pretty easy.... How would you ground the PVC? Clamp a copper ground wire all along the outside of the ductwork? I've heard others complain about the metal piping collapsing in the off chance that all the gates were closed. Do you have plans anywhere online for this vacuum breaker that you built? I figure the source for the system will be in pretty close proximity to my jointer so that hopefully won't be an issue.
  4. I am looking to upgrade my shop-vac based system that uses 2" hoses to a bunch of smaller tools so I can now attach the table saw, jointer, lathe and other larger tools that need 3-4" connections with larger CFM requirements. I am probably looking to install a 2-3HP system and want it plumbed around the shop. What do most home built systems use for ductwork? I have looked at the clear flex-tubing to connect each machine. What about the main runs? Do most systems use flexible lines or rigid? Would you use 4" PVC (drain tile style) plumbing type material or 4" metal ductwork used f