Veneering and boxes

I'm about to build my first veneered box and am not sure about when I should apply the veneer.  Say I wanted mitered corners for the box and wanted the whole box covered in some veneer.  Would you veneer the stock first and then start cutting or build the box and veneer each side of the box one at a time and trim as I go?  Thanks!

Not to change the subject here but, I received an email form "Woodworkers Journal" this past week. It shows how to use PVA glue and an iron to do veneering (basically edge banding in this case) and was wondering if anyone else got the same video. 

The guy used "Titebond  original" and/or "Titebond II" (gee, I wonder why, since the video was sponsored by Tightbond) and an house hold iron to apply it.

If your saw the video and tried this method or have ever tried this method in the past, can you report on how it works? 

I should think that this method would work great  for smaller items like Bill Hall's box. In fact, I think that I will try it on a small scrap just for the experience. :)

Rog

I veneer first, plus you want to veneer both sides of your substrate to keep it stable. The inside veneer can be anything, but try to get something that will expand and contract at the same rate.

Also, this will allow you to prep your materials oversized, then cut veneer and substrate to final dimensions at one time.

Not to change the subject here but, I received an email form "Woodworkers Journal" this past week. It shows how to use PVA glue and an iron to do veneering (basically edge banding in this case) and was wondering if anyone else got the same video. 

The guy used "Titebond  original" and/or "Titebond II" (gee, I wonder why, since the video was sponsored by Tightbond) and an house hold iron to apply it.

If your saw the video and tried this method or have ever tried this method in the past, can you report on how it works? 

I should think that this method would work great  for smaller items like Bill Hall's box. In fact, I think that I will try it on a small scrap just for the experience. :)

Rog

I haven't seen the video but I learned the technique at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop.  All I can add is, it works and it's simple.

I'm using cold press glue and those press screws in a book-press type setup.  My box is going to be 3"x5"x9" or so.  It seems like success can be had any which way, so it looks like I'm going to do some experimenting.  I've seen people do the iron-on process...forgot about that.  I might just pick up a cheap iron tomorrow and test it out.  I love PFW...I need to head back there again.  Mario and Alan are just great teachers that love to share their knowledge.  My club used to meet at his school and one of my first meetings, Matt Bickford was showing off his first planes.  It's really cool to see how he made a business of it and has for lack of better terms; made it.  Who's off topic now?  :)

Rog

Have you the link to the video Roger?