Do you need your tools to "match"?

Justin started a thread about selling Japanese chisels because they didn't match his LN chisels. I started to hijack that thread when I decided to start a discussion on the concept of your tools matching.

The matching thing is an interesting topic in my mind.

I've heard lots of guys talk about how they like their tools to "match".

I have a friend who will always buy Bosch tools if giving the option, not because he likes them, which I suppose he does, but mostly because they "match" the rest of his tools.

I've heard people say they want to get a Grizzly Jointer for example to match their Grizzly table saw.
I've heard some people who by all LN planes or all LV planes for similar reasons.

I find it fascinating because I guess I just didn't get that gene. I don't mind a variety of tools. I mix and match my LV's and my LN's along with some Stanleys. My TS, Bandsaw, CSM saw, primary router, jointer, and planer are all from different manufacuters. Not intentionally, but that's just the way it worked out.

So, my question is are you a matching tool person? Or are you an eclectic tool person?

• Like 1

I try to match, if possible. But I will not sacrifice quality for the sake of a match. I have a mix of LN and LV tools because I cherry-picked the ones I felt were better. I can totally understand what Justin means though. A set of Japanese chisels sitting next to a set of western chisels looks a little odd. But because I like my Japanese chisels and absolutely adore my LN mortising chisels, they both stay. In Justin's case, if he isn't sold on the Japanese style chisel in the first place, why not go for a comparable quality chisel that happens to match? I can see the logic. 

Obviously this is all firmly under "first world problems" haha. But as I mentioned above, if quality is comparable, I will always go for the match. 

if i had a billion dollers i would just buy all powermatic and festool so i have the best and they match but that ant going to happen.  so i just looks for the good deal and pick it up.  seems like the people who match their tools and have a great shop spend more time seting up a shop then they do making things.  i would rather make things so i balance between workig on shop and making projects.

if i had a billion dollers i would just buy all powermatic and festool so i have the best and they match but that ant going to happen.  so i just looks for the good deal and pick it up.  seems like the people who match their tools and have a great shop spend more time seting up a shop then they do making things.  i would rather make things so i balance between workig on shop and making projects.

That would be a good down payment... just finance the rest :)

• Haha 1

I tend to like similar items made by the same manufacturer. I like PM stationary tools so I go all PM, I like PC routers so all are PC, Dewalt drills ....................... I dont use hand tools the only hand tool I own is a few sanding blocks and they all match.:) I really hate mismatched clamps but thats just my mind looking for uniformity while they hang on the wall.

Perception of the ideal woodworking environment varies greatly among different people. What we create is an "atmosphere" that help aid in creativity. Some need it more than others, and where that comes from varies as well. Some might argue that their small cramped basement shop will allow for a more intimate experience between the tools and the wood, always having what you need close at hand and not having to walk 40 ft to get it. Others appreciate a bigger shop with plenty of indeed/outfeed space on each machine. You may get your kicks having kick-ass dust collection and gleaming tools 24/7. And, some people like a layout with matching colors and badges. Like Marc said, matching shouldn't sacrifice quality, but if you're on a tighter budget like most hobbyists, you can go a couple different routes; buy older used machines or buy all Grizzly. Either way, you're not wrong, it's what makes you happy. Personally, I intend to match my larger machines as I replace my smaller ones slowly. This is my preference, and I'm sticking to it! :)

Matching is nice, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. I have a variety of machines, most from different manufacturers. Like Marc said, I cherry pick the machines that are right for me. I always read reviews, and buy what is best suited.

That being said, I would not want a mix matched set of chisels. If I had a complete set by veritas, and then a complete second set by lie neilson, that would be fine. But I wouldn't want mixing in thr middle of a set.

My hand planes are mostly veritas, but I have a few old Stanleys too. I am also considering a LN mitre plane to add to my collection.

If any of my tools actually matched they would look weird, because none of the other ones do.  My jointer and air cleaner are both Jet, but that's pretty much it.  At some point once you have enough tools one is bound to match another one because there's only so many manufacturers.  I will say the green woodcraft/woodriver clamps look funny next to the red Besseys, but I'm planning to try making some jaw extensions that will slip over them and put an end to the Christmas clamps thing I have going on.

To a degree I am. I'm certainly not a matcher as far as the big Powertools, have a diversity of manufacturers there. But on other things, I try and match because usually the manufacturer makes their stuff work best together, Festool is a prime example. Clamps  I try and match best on, because clamps are all kinds of sizes and shapes and it would be a pain to build clamp racks for them all, plus if I know how one clamp works, I know what to expect out of the others.

I like to think of things complimenting one another and feeling right rather than matching. If I have a set of bevel edge chisels I want them to be the same brand and model so they feel right in the hand. However I would not then force myself to buy a brand of plane that was the same as the chisels. Value for money and good user reviews are a big driver for me. I am almost ashamed to show you the chisels I went for. However this guy gave them a good review and he seemed to be someone to trust.

Regarding power tools although I like festool (we have a couple old school festo and it's still going strong) I like what I am used to and would buy a DeWalt DW625 even though I am not a fan of DeWalt because it's a copy of the classic Elu Router. I also love our Makita 4 inch belt sanders because they are super simple and strong. Our local tool hire store is independent so he gives great advice based on the repairs he has to do. I trust him much more than glossy adverts on what works and what doesn't 

On heavy duty machines I like old reconditioned stuff, there is a allot less plastic on an old school wadkin than there is on an SCM.

But as Freddie says if matching gives you a creative Zen vibe then that's cool

To a degree... but for different reasons.

Sometimes, I stick with one vendor because I know what I'm getting.  That is to say, I picked a Bosch saw to match my Bosch drill, because that time that it was a toss up between Bosch and something else, I was disappointed in the quality.  By "matching", I knew to some degree what I was getting.  All that comes to naught, of course (I'm speaking to you Porter Cable) when a manufacturer's quality starts to fall to meet margin.

On the other hand, I also stick with a company that has great customer service and has done great things for me in the past.  I bought a lot of Lie Nielsen stuff along the way based on how they treated me on previous orders.  So I matching because I'm a return customer, and as long as they continue to have great customer service, I'll go back.

I have some Lee Valley stuff too... but in the summer of '10, LN went out of their way.  So when it's a toss up between LN and LV, the money goes to Maine...

I'm lucky if my socks match in the morning. But as far as tools go I have a lot of mismatched stuff, there are brands that I have bought that make me want to buy more of that brand. Porter cables routers being one of those. I have one now but my next one will be a PC too. I'm just starting out, I'll take what I can get at this point.

When I started my shop again, I purchased all my cordless power tools from the Ryobi+ 18v family so I can have one multi-battery charger for all my cordless needs. That just made sense for me and the quality was good if not excellent for the price. When it came time to get a impact driver I stuck with Ryobi and was pleased. Heck, my weed eater uses the same battery even though the power is borderline for that.

Handtools, I notice that I try many examples until I find one I like and tend to stick with that brand afterwards if available in a particular tool. For instance my bench planes are Woodriver, but I'll move to a Veritas or Lie Nielsen for something more exotic. After trying several styles of saw, I've found the Veritas saws fit my hand so I'll probably stick with them. And get some carcass saws to match the dovetail saws.

I went with some Marples chisels and was happy enough until I tried a Stanley Sweetheart and found it much handier, so I completed to set and use them now instead. The Marples will become my beater set or be donated to someone who doesn't have any. But since Stanley doesn't have mortising chisels, I can't go all the way there.

So need? I like it if them match, but not so much it hurts. but if it allows me to transfer muscle memory then that's a valid consideration.

From a power tool standpoint, I am all over the place.  I do like Bosch tools, so I have two router combos, and a drill.  But I also have a couple black and decker drills as well.  The clamps I am buying now all match.  The clamps, is more then just wanting them to match, if I buy all the same brand of K-Bodies, I know they are all going to work the same way and have the same feel from clamp to clamp. 

My good chisels are all the same brand, and that is because I wanted them to match.  But I have two sets of bench chisels, my beater set and my good set.  They are two different brands, but each chisel matches the other chisels in the set.

My hand planes, there is not reason to them, I have about 4 or 5 brands.

I guess I try to by matching tools where it makes sense to, but I am not necessarily sold on any particular brand.

Im a matcher :D   I like my stuff to match.  I try not to let it overide my common sense on purchases or let it get my wallet out needlesly.  In a perfect world, all my stuff would match.  Plus theres often an upside involved with matching ie battery interchangeability or even tool-inter-use.  I guess i just have enough chaos i my life having things match like my tools just appeases my inner psyche i guess -_-

Nyles