What do you wear to hold all your tools in the shop?

I am a hobbist... about 2.5 years now. I have tried everything from a traditional tool belt (for 30 seconds), aprons from multiple different companies, sweatshirts, no tool holding clothing at all. I just can't find anything I like A LOT. I say that because I did find an apron from Rockler or Woodcraft (can't remember which one) that I liked but it didn't stand up to the shop life. Rips and tears all over the place.

What do you wear? Anything you can recommend? Links? Pictures?

I wear a tool belt with suspension rig for work.. Because im usually carrying up to 30lbs of tools, nails, screws etc.

In the shop i never wear anything for tool holding, my shop isnt that big and its easier to just keep my work surfaces clear to place everythig out

Duluth Trading Company Fire Hose work pants. Tough but soft and flexible cotton canvas fabric , loads of pockets, lifetime guarantee .

I had to add suspenders to spread the weight and keep my pants up. Big pockets on the front of each leg and side pockets plus the usual front and back pockets. They have several versions, shorts, insulated, and a summer weight fast drying version.

I wear jeans and a t-shirt and chase my little tools and pencils all over the shop.  I can use whatever exercise I can get.

This is me too.  If I wasn't looking around for my pencil or ruler I wouldn't know what I'd do with myself.

I like the leather apron in the shop. It makes me feel like a bad-azz blacksmith or something. (Possible over-share).

2 important things, however:

1 - You have to get one that crosses in the back and attaches at the waist/hip. The ones that hang on your neck are positively exhausting to wear.

2 - In the summer time they are too warm. So, I usually only wear them in the winter.

I used to wear the tool belt with the suspenders over the shoulder.  As my tool collection and backside have grown over the years, and the shop remained the same size, I found that I was slamming the belt full of tools into too many things.  So I am back to just jeans and a t-shirt, and constantly looking for one of the two dozen tape measures I have in my ~500 sqft shop....

Unlike Eric, I don't get the extra exercise, just a mountain of tools piling up on every surface of the shop.

pencil tucked into my cap, tape measure clipped on my belt and folding knife in my back pocket. That's it. What more do you need on that constant a basis. I do have a small cart, about 18"x24".  The top is even with my work benches and it has a shelf about 8" below that and one shelf at the bottom.  I keep an assortment of tools I use the most on it and it easily wheels around wherever I am working. My back hurts enough on those long days so I'm not carrying more than I have to.

• Like 2

Tool belts and coveralls/bibs with tool loops/pockets are for outside the shop, like when I'm working at the barn or doing a yard project.  Inside the shop there are plenty of surfaces and storage locations that keep tools within reach and so a tool carrying device isn't necessary.  I have considered a shop apron for certain uses but haven't invested yet.

I wear an apron. My apron of choice has for pockets at the waist area and I keep my 4" double square in one, 6" combo square in one, an old scraper in one for glue-ups, and a small tape measure along with a piece of sidewalk chalk (my daughter demands that its purple:). At chest area there is two pencil size pockets which I keep a pencil in one and a 6" ruler in the other, between those two pockets is a small pocket that is the perfect size for a laminant sample that I write measurements on. On the side of the apron by my hip I attached a metal stip with rivets so I can hook my DC remote. I can't stand working without it on as I a like having everything right with me and in its own place.

I wear jeans and a t-shirt and chase my little tools and pencils all over the shop.  I can use whatever exercise I can get.

My shop is soooo small.... I can't even get any exercise doing that. Occasionally I have to walk from the MFT to the far end of the room to get something from the tool cabinet, that's 8 steps round trip. I wore a pedometer for one shop session, it died of boredom. ;)

I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy too, occasionally clip a tape measure on the belt. Pencil in the shirt pocket, everything else gets taken out, put on the closest horizontal surface and put away when done. Wore a tool belt for 30 years or so and have the knees to show for it.

I dress up for weddings, funerals and fishing and that's about it, fishing just because I don't like being wet.

Best,

Bill