WIA deals?

Ben H

Can anyone tell me if there are deals to be had at WIA? I'm talking new stuff from folks like Lee Valley, Rockler, etc... I'm thinking about bringing some extra dough, and treating myself to a few new planes, and maybe a vise or two... B)

Can anyone tell me if there are deals to be had at WIA? I'm talking new stuff from folks like Lee Valley, Rockler, etc... I'm thinking about bringing some extra dough, and treating myself to a few new planes, and maybe a vise or two... B)

Not there and don't know much about WIA, but I bet if someone is selling tools you had better take extra money. Atleast that is how I find myself. Sad part is I usually buy as I go and always find what I really want at the end and my extra is gone. Dang I hate that.

I've never been, either, but I have seen announcements here and there from vendors that they will have stuff there with show-special pricing (kinda rhymes with "so special pricing" :)) Also, some said they will make good deals on the demo equipment because they don't want to bring it home. Laguna is one.

Alas, no budget for anything with a cord. Thinking about expanding my plane collection to a new Lee Valley #4 or something along those lines. I'm starting me bench next Sunday as well and are going to need a couple of vises too. I'd like to see LV upgrade the twin screw to a quick release style. Though that might be just wishful thinking! :unsure:

I'm helping a friend run his booth (Dilegno Woodshop Supply), so he has time to head for classes and the occasional run for coffee or the bathroom. The brand of tools he makes is Back Channel; the marking knife and beech mallet are both $5 off, and I'd be glad to tell you why they're awesome.

The marking knife has a few details that make it better than most of what we've seen out there. The blade is under 1/16" thick, which makes it easier to use, especially on dovetails with narrow spacing. The blade is long, so you can reach into places other knives won't quite get to. The blade is still solid; it's a sturdy knife. The handle is squared instead of rounded so you can get a firm grip on the whole thing. The sheath holds on with a magnet, and the magnet can also hold the knife to just about anything metal. It's four pieces of wood, and takes a good bit of time for us to build each of them. We love using these, and we were pleased as hell to get a positive printed review from the Schwarz, but I don't have a scan of that yet.

The beech mallet works better and lasts longer that others. We build 'em out of beech, which is no big surprise. But then we immerse the whole thing in linseed oil for at least a month. The entire mallet becomes more durable, and additionally, the head of the mallet weighs significantly more (4-8 oz) when it comes out of that bath. We like the weight and balance on these, and feel they strike better and truer than others we've tried. The amusing part for me is that this would cost you more to build than we're selling it for; having a *lot* of oil on hand and the containers for it to sit in gives economies of scale. We also got a positive review on this one, and that article is here

Both items are made in Pittsburgh, PA; stop by the booth, we'd love to show them to you. I'm *easy* to spot; I'm about 6'9", say hello if you're bored. :-)

Most of the big companies will have free shipping. At the first one Lee Valley did a 10% discount. My guess is that you will see anything from nothing to free shipping to about 10% off.

I highly advise walking the floor two or three times before making purchases or like cowchaser said you run out of money before you run out of tools to buy. Plus the demos on the marketplace floor are sometimes as good or better than the lectures.

After Lee Valley announced their free shipping deal (Sept 20-27) I called them to see if the deals will be sweeter at WIA. The answer is Yes. Apparently they typically pay free shipping at tradeshows, and the very helpful lady I spoke to siad they would also cover the sales tax at WIA.

So, Lee Valley with free tax & shipping at WIA? Bring a sack of 20's.

I'd like to see LV upgrade the twin screw to a quick release style. Though that might be just wishful thinking! :unsure:

You might look into Len Hovarter’s twin shaft vise (no threads or chain). It’s a quick release vise. Here's his web page and here is an article about Hovarter's vise by Chris Schwarz. I don't know if Hovarter will be at WIA. Please note that Len’s vise is about $150 more than the Veritas twin-screw vise and about $100 more than the Lie Nielson chain drive vise. It also does not include clamp hub and handles (they sell those separately), and it looks like you have to make your own jaw pieces. I would guess that if Veritas and Lie Nielsen upgraded their "twin-screw" vises to quick-release, they would probably cost about the same as the Hovarter vise. If your curious, here's the Hovarter vise instruction manual.

What ever happened to the good old days of REAL amazing show deals?? The internet happened, that's what! lol

Except for Festool, Leigh...they control the pricing and you have to wait for them to lower the price or put something on sale. I understand the concept but I hate paying retail for anything. I guess that's what happens when your the son of a CPA. lol

I bought two of the bigger mag-switches at IWF for $20 each. Guess I saved about $30 total.

Hmm....wonder if it will be cash and carry for smaller tools?

Hey Ben

I can't speak for this years WIA but last year LV was mail only . Some of the vendors offer cash and carry . I believe LN had some items available at the show . Bring a list with of your must haves , there's so much to see and play with you'll go into overload . The nice thing with LV is you can add to orders or even place and order once you come home . If LV is one of the manufactures you plan to buy from and don't place an order there , make sure you pick and order form . You'll need that order number to place one . That's something I didn't find out till later .

Have fun.

BTW another vendor offering discounts is Horizon Wood Products , the only catch is you need to be a Woodnet member . Horizon Wood has some of PA's best lumber, plus they're some of the greatest guys to deal with .

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 63 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    dave07
    Newest Member
    dave07