hurt myself tonight

I hurt myself tonight.  its bad enough that im mentioning it on  here.  I was cutting some bowl blanks on my band saw for my lathe and the blade is dull so I was pushing too hard.  when it cut through and it jumped on me and dug into my hand.  13 stitches later in my little pinky and a tendon that pooped loose I have to go see a ortho surgen and et my hand worked on.  thing to learn from this is work with sharp tools.  now tim looking at weeks out of shop and a lot of pain on my birthday and a number of my families birthdays in the month of june.  make sure you are using sharp tools so you don't have push too hard.ill take a photo in the next day or so to show off my new scar in the making

Oh, Duck.  I'm really sorry to hear this.  I was bandsawing today, too, with a finer blade than I should have been using and was tempted to push.  I literally told myself 'don't push, let the blade do the work'.  I hope you heal quickly and heal well.

-Cindy

You're a brave man for sharing your incident with us duck. It is very important to practice safety when we use as many dangerous tools as we do. I hope you have a speedy recovery so you can return to the shop and make sandwiches or whatever else you like to do :)

You're a brave man for sharing your incident with us duck. It is very important to practice safety when we use as many dangerous tools as we do. I hope you have a speedy recovery so you can return to the shop and make sandwiches or whatever else you like to do :)

I like wood  but not enough to make a sandwitch out of it :)

thanks guys I appreciate it and be safe because frankly this hurts.  not the pain but the withdrawl was just finding my footing again after almost 9 months away from my lathe and now im looking at probable a few months without picking up my gouges and turning some projects

Every time I start a cut I run through my bail out plan, where are my hands, where is the blade, what happens if things go wrong? Stand off to the side and prepare to let go, wood is much cheaper than a hospital visit. Sharp blades, push sticks and a sharp mind all need to be used. Guards and safety glasses are your friends as well.

And we all need to be aware of the dangers of hand tools as well. I trimmed the tip and fingernail off a finger last year with my miter trimmer.

I hope you have a quick and complete recovery . Keep those bandages clean! Infection can compromise your healing.

• Like 2

Sorry for the injury Duck. But thank you for sharing it. I had a close call with a different hobby a while back and struggled with the idea of sharing it because I was embarrassed about the fact that I did something stupid. But I did share it on that forum and had a lot of people thanking me for reminding them to follow safe practices.

So thanks for the reminder and heal quickly.

Is the tendon detached completely? The tendon in my thumb detached early in my senior football season, and I didn't get it fixed until the season was over.

Only have about 60% mobility in that thumb now in the direction towards my palm. Hopefully you don't have your digit as bad as mine.

Hi Duck,

Sorry to hear about this and to echo what others say I hope you are fighting fit soon. I think we have all found ourselves doing something that we shouldn't do. I always feel a little tickle in my tummy just before I start something that is not right, it forces me to stop, pause and rethink. Get well soon dude.

Is the tendon detached completely? The tendon in my thumb detached early in my senior football season, and I didn't get it fixed until the season was over.

Only have about 60% mobility in that thumb now in the direction towards my palm. Hopefully you don't have your digit as bad as mine.

seeing a doctor tomorrow at least its in the pinky so if its weakened for good the worst I can expect is not drinking tea like a gentleman. why did you wait for the season to get over? forget the game my health comes first. 

I wasn't aware that anyone had accused you of being a gentleman, so maybe your tea drinking won't be an issue ;)

I'll join the chorus and say 'thanks' for sharing your story and reminding us to be mindful about doing things we shouldn't do.  I think this was mentioned before as listening to the "little voice". I just got a 14" bandsaw and frankly it scares me more than my table saw - but I think that's just the newness of it, and hopefully I'll learn to use it safely.

Found your bandsaw pushstick, duck.  http://sportsmark.co.uk/node/56

Hope you get better soon!

hahaha cant hurt to try and if don't work ill have my horse kick it

How are you feeling today? sounded in good spirits last night! best of luck to you bud!

when there is a problem I usualy cover my pain with jokes put on false front or else I would just cry. jokes are usually easer then actual reality and hard solutions. speaking of

three men walk into a bar....................