Douglas Fir for drawers

Cannikin

I'm about to start building the drawers for my dresser and found some beautiful quatersawn Douglas Fir at the local lumber yard. I was originally planning on going with Maple, but they only carry plain sawn. The dresser is for my son (due in 3 months!) I'd love it if this thing lasted long enough to use with his kids!

Any strong opinions either way on using Douglas Fir for drawers? I've never tried, but it's always listed along with stuff like Maple, Poplar, Hickory, etc. as great secondary woods for drawers and the like. The dresser itself is Sapele, which is a close cousin of Mahogany and will finish similarly. Here are some photos of the Douglas Fir pretending to be a drawer side and some detail of the grain. I doubt that it's old growth, but those are some tight rings!

4874122666_4a45b3336b_z.jpg

4873513079_f2e5e7b578_z.jpg

And the dresser itself:

4873527963_c05142af81_z.jpg

From Janke hardness:

Douglas-fir, coast--------------Pseudotsuga menziesii---3.2-----710

Douglas-fir. interior west------Pseudotsuga menziesii-- 2.9-----660

Douglas-fir, interior north-----Pseudotsuga menziesii-- 2.7-----600

Douglas-fir, interior south-----Pseudotsuga menziesii-- 2.3-----510

yellow poplar-------------------Liriodendron tulipifera-2.4-----540

Since poplar is the usual secondary wood, I think you're in the safe range.

For future reference and to learn more about how the tests are done http://www.sizes.com/units/janka.htm

• Like 1

That dresser looks amazing... I think that the pine will be OK. I think that it will look great too. I just made a bench base using Southern Yellow Pine and I liked the very straight lines as well.

Vic, thanks for the link.

I'm about to start building the drawers for my dresser and found some beautiful quatersawn Douglas Fir at the local lumber yard. I was originally planning on going with Maple, but they only carry plain sawn. The dresser is for my son (due in 3 months!) I'd love it if this thing lasted long enough to use with his kids!

Any strong opinions either way on using Douglas Fir for drawers? I've never tried, but it's always listed along with stuff like Maple, Poplar, Hickory, etc. as great secondary woods for drawers and the like. The dresser itself is Sepele, which is a close cousin of Mahogany and will finish similarly. Here are some photos of the Douglas Fir pretending to be a drawer side and some detail of the grain. I doubt that it's old growth, but those are some tight rings!

4874122666_4a45b3336b_z.jpg

4873513079_f2e5e7b578_z.jpg

And the dresser itself:

4873527963_c05142af81_z.jpg

In an effort to answer your question, I forgot to tell you, LOVE the book matched side that shows! Way to use your lumber!!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I actually cheated on those sides -- that's Sapele ply. ;) The dresser itself is from the Dec08/Jan09 issue of Wood: http://www.woodstore.net/is188de20.html I modified the design into a side-by-side from the tall 5-drawer version. I've got the whole thing in Sketchup if anyone is interested.

That's even better, in my opinion. Why use solid wood on things that readily lend themselve to conservation of a species. +1!!

• Like 1

I have used Doug Fir on drawer sides before and it was a pleasure. No problems at all except that the seasonal growth rings can throw a chisel off due to their varying hardness if you are hand cutting the dovetails. Not a big deal and you can get used to it. I built the piece that used this wood about 5 years ago and it is still running smooth with no noticeable wear. Granted 5 years is really nothing but just an FYI.

I have used Doug Fir on drawer sides before and it was a pleasure. No problems at all except that the seasonal growth rings can throw a chisel off due to their varying hardness if you are hand cutting the dovetails. Not a big deal and you can get used to it. I built the piece that used this wood about 5 years ago and it is still running smooth with no noticeable wear. Granted 5 years is really nothing but just an FYI.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I plan on doing all the dovetails by hand so thanks for the heads up!

When you look at how long some pine furniture has been around I would say you will be fine, and being quartersawn will help as well. I got a bunch of QS Fir a number of years ago when the school in town replaced the bleachers, seats and footboards are all 5/4 12" boards. The seats were glued up but the footboards are one wide board and they were in the school for almost 50yrs with a lot of use, that should help answer your question about the stability. Looks very nice.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...