anyone ever built a mcro lathe?

duckkisser

I've chucked stuff up in a handheld drill, clamped it to the bench and made things.  Does that count?

I thought I was the only one who did this!

When I was in high school, I had no access to woodworking tools.  I used to chuck up dowels and plastic rod, and mess around for hours turning with different Xacto blades.

• 3 weeks later...

I find my small pen turning lathe small and light enough to take places and fool around.

I have been thinking about getting a small metal lathe and possibly building a micro one but thats more for the work im getting into than my ability to carry them around.

What do you plan on using it for? Because if its anything of decent size i would stray away from anything not cast iron for the mass but if its just pens and small dia. stuff i dont see why a drill wouldnt work. I remember seeing in a grizzly catalog they had a set of rails, tail stock and tool rest specifically meant to use with a drill..

• 1 month later...

That PSI chuck you posted is for metal, not wood. You probably knew that but just in case.

I planned extensively to build a lathe and realized that for midi to average size lathes it isn't worth the effort unless you specifically want a treadle or springpole; or just for fun. Midi size vintage lathes can be had for $50-100 and will have proper bearings and accept common accessories. In the end, the lathe itself is generally the cheapest part of turning. I have 2 vintage lathes, a 20's era Goodell Pratt and a 50's Craftsman/King Seeley. The Craftsman lathes are decent machines with a little tune up and have common size threads and tapers; they are also common as dirt. Just avoid the tube lathes.

post-11160-0-30996900-1378845876_thumb.j

post-11160-0-79695500-1378845932_thumb.j