Help! Round table top glue up???

Shopdog19

You could try hot gluing some cauls to the underside of the table top setting them parallel to the straight edges. Then just use regular clamps pulling the cauls together. Marc did this on his angled headboard build http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/platform-bed-pt-2-the-headboard/?category_name=marcs-projects

You can then knock the cauls off after the glue has cured.

You could also use a band clamp running around the perimeter to pull the joint together.

On both methods use flat cauls spanning the joint either side (maybe 2 x 4s) with clamps to keep the two sides level to each other. Make sure you put something in between the caul and the wood to prevent the caul from becoming part of your project due to glue squeeze out.

I clamp c clamps to the top and grab them with a parallel clamp. You need to have some 1/4" protection blocks for your c clamps. Also, go ahead and position the spine of the c clamp against the table edge with a block between.

I hope this makes sense. It might make more once you start trying it. Try a dry run.

• Like 1

You could try hot gluing some cauls to the underside of the table top setting them parallel to the straight edges. Then just use regular clamps pulling the cauls together. Marc did this on his angled headboard build http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/platform-bed-pt-2-the-headboard/?category_name=marcs-projects

You can then knock the cauls off after the glue has cured.

+1. Should work well.

• 1 month later...

I was to lazy to make cauls, so I tried the ratcheting tie down idea and i got frustrated with that as I only have 2 arms and the wait list to get another 6 arms implanted was to long, so I chose to use 2 48" bar clamps and they worked fantastic.

thanks for all the great ideas, keep up the great support

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Sue said:

Hi I have a round table to clamp as well, how did you get the bar clamps to stay in position on a round table?

Sue... This post is 6 years old, and there's only one or two guys still on the site.   As for your clamping problem, take a board and match the curve, leaving the other side flat, and use hot glue to hold that piece in place.  Apply your clamps and when done, apply a little heat from a heat gun or hot hair dryer and knock the piece off.  You'll need to sand afterwards.

2 hours ago, Sue said:

how did you get the bar clamps to stay in position on a round table?

yeah, what Rick said, jig saw a curve to match, leave the other side flat, instead of glue maybe screw a couple of short cauls on each end of your scrap piece to hold it in place while you clamp, and do a test run without glue first, oh, and welcome to the forum Sue

Another variation, if you have more clamps than wide scrap boards, is to sandwhich each half of the circle between two skinny cauls, like good old 2x4s. Clamp them tightly, them clamp across the joint, catching these clamps on the ledge formed by the cauls. You'll need to clamp above and below, slowly increasing the pressure evenly on each side, or the piece will fold at the joint.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 11:41 PM, treeslayer said:

yeah, what Rick said, jig saw a curve to match, leave the other side flat, instead of glue maybe screw a couple of short cauls on each end of your scrap piece to hold it in place while you clamp, and do a test run without glue first, oh, and welcome to the forum Sue

On 8/23/2019 at 11:41 PM, treeslayer said:

Thank you very much for ypur help, what a great idea. Thank.ypu

On 8/24/2019 at 2:04 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Another variation, if you have more clamps than wide scrap boards, is to sandwhich each half of the circle between two skinny cauls, like good old 2x4s. Clamp them tightly, them clamp across the joint, catching these clamps on the ledge formed by the cauls. You'll need to clamp above and below, slowly increasing the pressure evenly on each side, or the piece will fold at the joint.

Thank you, I didn't know what cauls were but I do now, so I just have to find someone who can to curve in the wood for me, as this is a perfect system to keeping the joins flat and clamped together while drying. Thank you