Omega Stubby S750 Lathe

Lawrence Brown

Anyone ever had the chance to use one of these? It's the same one used in the Woodturning Workshop program on PBS. It's pretty much the only lathe that will fit my particular needs. Unfortunately...

It's made in Australia and is $6000 new plus shipping, with the freight being 750 pounds shipped from MO. I don't think there's ever going to be a chance of picking one up used, so it's pretty much a pipe dream at the moment.

here's their site:

stubby USA

The picture of the 104lbs blank being loaded into the machine is impressive.

Can I ask what your needs are that this answers but none other? I know next to nothing about lathe manufacturers, but it seems people like them crazy Canadians at Oneway. I ordered their catalog and it looked very impressive.

So fly to Montana and rent a one-way U-Haul. :)

I tend to do (or want to do) wider things like bowls and hollow forms rather than long spindle turnings. And needless to say, my shop is over crowded as it is. I just really like the split bed so that normally it's very compact, but if i have to do something extra wide or extra long, I can move the bed out of the way.

Yeah, I could probably get by with something else, and I'm toying with the idea of making one myself, but I'd rather buy from people that know what they're doing. This particular lathe also looks like a lifetime investment where I probably wouldn't have to buy another one for quite a long time, if ever.

Oh, and this pretty much says it all:

Hmm, I swear the Oneway catalog described how to turn the motor outboard and there's an outboard component you can place near it to stabilize a big turning. I'll have to dig up the catalog to find the parts and get them off the site. I think the Oneways would be cheaper as they are made in Canada.

Yeah, you can turn the heads of most of the higher-end lathes around, but that brings up a whole other set of issues. Like I say, this is just me being me and wanting the sports car where the econo-box would usually do.

I do have an old Delta at home that I got from Craigslist that's got a decent bed on it and the whole thing is attached to a pretty solid stand. I'm starting to toy with the idea of splitting that bed, shortening it, and then mounting it on another sub-bed, which would get me a lot of the same functionality, but the spindle is a bit on the small side, so we'll see. Just another thing to add to my list.

As someone who likes machines I do like the look of that critter and also enjoy the fact that it is from a small manufacturer. I can't help however but frown at the really terrible stand it comes with. No sense of style at all. I like the old machines where they designed function and form in equal measure. Of course older lathes are not designed to do big bowls like that (at least ones that are smaller then a room are not designed for it).

I also was looking for a smallish lathe with bowl turning capabilities. I found a used Woodfast M410 on Craig's list. This lathe has a 20" swing with 16" between centers. It came with a nice 2HP motor on a beat up wood stand. I have built a heavy (1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/4 wall sq. tubing) stand and filled 1/3 of the base with cement. Cement deadens vibration 20x better than cast iron! I sold the motor and bought a used 3HP, 3 phase motor for a gain of $75! Bought a new/old stock VFD on EBay and can control RPM and direction while running on 220v single phase. The control pannel with a retro-fit tach designed for a Bridgeport mill (the pick-up reads off of the spindle for accurate RPM readout), pot for speed control, R-OFF-F switch, and E-Stop button is mounted on a pivoting arm so that it is accessable when standing in front of the lathe or at the end when hollowing. What I have is a lathe with all of the bells and whistles of a new lathe for less than a grand. Weighing well over 600 pounds, it stays put and runs smoooooooooth. Next projet is a swing-a-way for the tail stock.

Hehe. I should have you build my next lathe :)

Yeah, a guy I knew had a custom-made lathe that was pretty sweet and kind of similar. The head was 1-1/2 inch or so steel rod with threads turned on the end to match his chucks. This was put into a couple of pillow blocks that were mounted to the top of a trapezoid frame (like a pyramid with the top cut off. The frame was filled with bags of lead shot (an area of about 2 cubic feet). The bed was a completely seperate piece that consisted of a 6" steel I-beam welded to a frame that could be pushed away or turned sideways when he wanted to do face turning. I might eventually try to go that route if a better solution doesn't come up.

Thanks for the description of the bits and pieces. I keep forgetting to check ebay for those.

My rockwell lathe has the capablity for turning both inboard and outboard. 12 X 48 for inboard turning. There is a turning plate that will go on both ends of the spindle. It is not a very expensive lathe, but works for me. I think I would have to anchor it more solidly to do the outboard stuff. There is a lady client of mine that has two variable speed lathes that her husband used that may be available. I will check on them.

• 11 years later...
On 10/1/2010 at 9:26 PM, Lawrence Brown said:

Anyone ever had the chance to use one of these? It's the same one used in the Woodturning Workshop program on PBS. It's pretty much the only lathe that will fit my particular needs. Unfortunately...

It's made in Australia and is $6000 new plus shipping, with the freight being 750 pounds shipped from MO. I don't think there's ever going to be a chance of picking one up used, so it's pretty much a pipe dream at the moment.

here's their site:

stubby USA