Delta dust collector 50-840 for $175 worth it?

NJ_Mike

I'm in the market for a dust collector.  New or used doesn't matter but I'm on a budget of about $300 for the collector, upgrading the bags from 5 micron and hoses.  I found a Delta 50-840 on craigslist for $175 and a Grizzly G1029Z2 for $200 ( but then I would need to add a 220v outlet) - both used without hoses.  Anyone have any experience with these?  My shop is really a little more then half my 1 car garage so space is also an issue for me - like just about everyone else. I'm only running one tool at a time and moving the hose from machine to machine is not really a concern for me.  I was also going to add one of those trash can cyclone lids to it.  I've been seeing where people vent their collectors outside.  I have an air vent in the garage that I could use to vent it outside - does that make any difference?

I was also looking at something small like  this -http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-HP-Wall-Hanging-Dust-Collector/G0710  It's small enough that I can just pick it up and move it out of the way when I'm not using it.

any ideas would be great. thanks. 

I know nothing about the Delta unit to speak of. And the Grizzly seems to be similar to the Harbor Freight 2HP DC, which is what I use. According to the manual, the Grizz appears to be able to be wired for 110, depending on the exact variation. You'd have to check before you bought it. It's going to have more power and airflow than the Delta, but if you're using it on 1 machine at a time, I don't know that the difference would be noticeable.

If you got either the Delta or Grizz, you could get a 0.5 micron filter cartridge from Wynn Environmental here: http://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/35a-series-application-notes/ This page has a list of the DCs their budget filters would run. The most basic would run you about $125 shipped. That puts you at $300 though without hoses. The benefit of the filter over the bag is that you get a boost in airflow with the filter since the pleated surface is the equivalent of a huge filter bag. But with your budget, you might have to go with a bag for a while.

For hoses, etc., if you're near a Harbor Frieght, their dust collection starter kit is the best value on the market. You get 2 lengths of 10' 4" hose, a couple blast gates, hose clamps, a table saw hood, and a couple other tool connection hoods. It's $49.99, but my HF has it on sale right now for $44.00. When I was pricing things out, I couldn't find anything that was a better value than that.

• Like 1

I haven't used the Delta or Grizzly DCs, but I do have the 2HP HF unit, and it works very well.  On a tight budget, I strongly recommend that you consider it.  It would be brand new for $170ish (always goes on sale for $199 - 20% discount coupon+tax= ~$170).  I do have the Wynn Filter on mine, but I operated for about a year with the standard bag just fine.  I do recommend the Wynn filter (I have the 0.5 micron model) eventually, but it is not required to get started.  

Regardless what model you go with, plan on building/buying a separator of some kind.  I just use a 55 gallon drum, and it works great ($25 investment).  It will greatly improve performance and longevity of the machine.  If you go with a used machine, make sure you ask if they were running a separator or not.  If not, walk away.  The impeller has been through heck and back.  

When I researched this, I found that the red one generally gave users a very hard time. If you want a portable, this one is more highly regarded: http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

And the HF DC most people talk about is: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

This is the one I have. If you want to use a separator, i don't think either of the portables will work for you.

If you sign up for their emails, HF will send you a 20% off coupon.

I have been using the HF dust collector for about 5 years now with the original bags. It is outside my garage under the eave overhang (2.5 foot) so I found no need to change the filter bag. I also have a HF remote starter switch connected, it works through the wall with no problems. Unfortunatly HF does not carry the switch anymore. It looks just like Rockler item 43959. when I got mine it was $24.99 from HF.

This is something that has puzzled me for a while: why do more woodworkers not run their DC outside of the shop, an eliminate the need for filter bags?  Is it an issue of space, or is there some other disadvantage?  I've got mine set to vent out the exterior wall, and the only limits are air quality is a poor ducting system that my dad installed...