What do you do with tools that have died?

chopnhack

I had a sliding cms blow its universal motor, and after unwinding the field coils, I was able to estimate what I needed for parts and it turned out to be 1/2 the price of a new one! It's not the most expensive cms, not a bosch or dewalt, its a GMC brand that I have done a lot of work with and have been very happy with. What do you do now with all of that saw? I hate to put ~30+ pounds of cast aluminum in the trash!

I had a sliding cms blow its universal motor, and after unwinding the field coils, I was able to estimate what I needed for parts and it turned out to be 1/2 the price of a new one! It's not the most expensive cms, not a bosch or dewalt, its a GMC brand that I have done a lot of work with and have been very happy with. What do you do now with all of that saw? I hate to put ~30+ pounds of cast aluminum in the trash!

Recycle the aluminum and treat yourself to a new CMS.:D

Too bad you didn't recycle the copper a year ago when the price was stratospheric (for copper :)

Agree with the others: salvage what could be useful (dust port connectors? hold-downs? thumb screws? fence?) and get the rest to a salvage yard; at least they will dispose of it properly.

Take everything you can off of it that may serve some other purpose then sell the parts on ebay! This is a good way to do it as it makes use of all possible parts. You could even possibly put up the aluminium as scrap as there are people who may buy this to melt and cast there own parts.

Thanks all. I checked out the model at sears today and was disappointed with the fence and how rough the bearings were. I walked away. I kinda regret it now because I didn't even think to swap the fence and I read on amazon reviews how the bearings break in over time! Grrrrrr.....that sears is not around the corner! The only other issue was with the bevel hold down mechanism. I liked my old one much better. I will have to look over my old unit again and see if the locking mechanism can be retrofitted. Great ideas :D

I strip the unit down take anything that I think even possibly I could use for anything in the future and put it in a big tote that is full of that kind of thing then throw the shell away. Wife says I am a pack rat but let me tell ya that big tote full of "junk" as she calls it has saved me plenty of dollar bills over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the deed is done, between the recently departed GMC scms, an older ryobi cms and some left over copper scraps, I ended up with 101 lbs of scrap worth a whopping $73! I was abit shocked. It paid more than half of my new replacement scms (yes, I know $133 w/ tax included doesn't mean a high quality saw, fwiw though the replacement GMC unit is slightly better than the original but it cuts straight and square and I use a bevel guage and block for angle settings anyway). Thanks for your input all.