Design question - Drawer pull knob(s)

Egraff

Hello Friends,

I am nearing the end of my latest project.... a walnut jewelry box (pics added below).  I loved Woodbloke's recent pivot pin hinge boxes so much that I decided to adapt his model into a jewelry box design (I hope you don't mind, Woodbloke!).  In additional to changing the dimensions of the box, I also added a drawer coming out of the front that is nearly the entire width of the piece.  So, there is the upper section accessed via lid and the lower section accessed via drawer.  The drawer is completely flush with the box frame when closed.  To see Woodbloke's original box with the pivot lid attached, see here (box #1 and #3):  

THE QUESTION:

What style pull should I use on the drawer?  The options are as follows:

A.  Single, wide walnut handle in the middle of the drawer face.  Probably rectangular with a finger recess on the bottom.

B.  Two small walnut handles, lathe turned.

C.  A store bought handle, either a single handle or two smaller side handles, of any shape or style.  

D.  Anything else you can think of that I missed.

If anyone has any ideas on what might look best with a simple (in a good way!) design like this, I'd very much appreciate hearing your thoughts.  

Thank you!

- EG

Hard to visualise without a photo of the actual box, but my personal preference would be a single pull, maybe something turned from a contrasting wood. Walnut on walnut seems like it might be a little bland. I suppose you could 'ebonize' the pull to a very dark shade, I think that would look nice. It's all about personal tastes, though, so don't take my advice as gospel.

Hello Friends,

I am nearing the end of my latest project.... a walnut jewelry box.  I loved Woodbloke's recent pivot pin hinge boxes so much that I decided to adapt his model into a jewelry box design (I hope you don't mind, Woodbloke!).  In additional to changing the dimensions of the box, I also added a drawer coming out of the front that is nearly the entire width of the piece.  So, there is the upper section accessed via lid and the lower section accessed via drawer.  The drawer is completely flush with the box frame when closed.  To see Woodbloke's original box with the pivot lid attached, see here (box #1 and #3):  

THE QUESTION:

What style pull should I use on the drawer?  The options are as follows:

A.  Single, wide walnut handle in the middle of the drawer face.  Probably rectangular with a finger recess on the bottom.

Thank you!

- EG

Nice to see that my sawdusty efforts have inspired someone else to have a go…crack on!  Handles and pulls, although usually small are (for me at least) one of the THE most difficult parts of a project to get correct.  In most cases, it's the first part of a job that the user will touch and as such, the eye is naturally drawn to it.  My general rule of thumb is now to keep drawer pulls as small and unobtrusive as possible with the caveat that they must still be 'fit for purpose' i.e.: allow the user to pull the drawer open.  It's also good to make them from an accent material, I usually use Indian Ebony or African Blackwood, but never too much or it will tend to look a bit 'fussy'.  Here's the little drawer pull:

DSC_0007-8_zps3015e840.jpg

…from a cabinet that I'm just about to finish.  The drawer front is English walnut and the small rectangular pull (which blends in with the overall theme of the cabinet) is in Indian Ebony and I've done exactly as you've suggested above, which is a small finger recess on the underside…quite difficult to do unless you've got access to small scribing gouges.  Whatever you do, don't add a handle from a shop as it will almost always look like what it is…an added on, bought handle - Rob

I'd like to see how the lid looks.  For example if it has a significant round over, I'd lean towards something turned.  If it has a gentle round over or a square crease, a more rectangular shape might suit it better.  I definitely agree with a darker contrasting wood though.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!  You've convinced me.... I ended up going to the store and picking up a small piece of ebony for the pull.  I'm going to go with a smallish "rectangle" of ebony that doesn't come off the drawer face too far.  I also will cut some shallow dados into the pull that are the same width as the box joints (those dados will be cut into the side that directly touches the drawer face).  I made a sample piece in this style and I think it looks pretty sharp!!

- EG