Baby it's cold outside!

Llama

Ok, yep... I love that song.

To the point, it's cold outside!

More to the point, my glue is cold outside!

So, to all of the detached garage woodworkers amongst us.. Do y'all keep your glue inside until you're ready for a glue up? Any non-obvious tips?

And yes, y'all is a word. :)

My glue is comfy - low today was 63 and 75 will be the high in coastal SC.  May pay a visit to Winyah Bay today with the boat!! ;)  I've never been to Wisconsin so I don't know how the glue reacts to 30 below but I think I'd keep the glue inside and tote it to the shop when I went out. (and like "y'all", tote is a word too). Paul keeps his in the fridge....what's that 40 degrees? HEY...I have a question...if you have a fridge...in an unheated shop.... in
Wisconsin....does it stay at 40 degrees on the inside?????

I've been to AZ twice (Scottsdale) IN APRIL NO LESS and it was hot.........freakin...hot!!!.....I think when the Lord finished making the earth, there was a huge hole. He said, "can't have that...." so He threw sand, rocks, cactus, and rattlesnakes in it and said, "One day, they will call it Arizona and strangely enough, people will willingly live there...."  Sorry Paul...Sorry Marc.  I started to say something about Texas too; but I'll just anger one people group at the time.

>>Paul keeps his in the fridge....what's that 40 degrees? HEY...I have a question...if you have a fridge...in an unheated shop.... in

Wisconsin....does it stay at 40 degrees on the inside?????

More or less depending on the location in the shop. My folks always left a fridge in their unheated garage and things rarely froze but even unheated the garage never was quite as cold as outside.

Before i moved my shop into the basement and it was in the garage, i always had issue with glue, but that was in 40 below weather, and from what i noticed and maybe it was just me but the glue didnt seem to work as well after it warmed either

If your Titebond freezes, it will ruin the bonding properties of the glue. You will notice that it also turns white.

I tend to migrate south for the winter. Or at least migrate from my barn shop into the house. Nova Scotia winters aren't as cold as some places, but as this is a hobby for me, I'm not going to suffer for my art *that* much. When I migrate into my much smaller mud room, I bring my glue and all my finishes with me. Much easier to protect them from freezing.

My glue bottle specifically says it works better above 15C, and I've been sticking to that advice.

I am with Paul Marcel because in Southern California we don't really have winter. However .... in five days I am going to my piece of heaven on earth in Gunnison, CO which is the third coldest county in the US.

My shop in the cabin which is in Pitkin, CO Zip 81241 has heated floors ...

This will be the first time my wife, dogs and I go for turkey day to the cabin, this summer I installed 10" of foam insulation in the ceiling rafters and chinked the logs, we should be OK.

My neighbor told me to take snow shoes because the roads to the cabin are not maintained and they expect a huge amount of snow.

We'll see.

I had to toss out some Titebond III that got lumpy and too old so,watch out for that as well. I started buying smaller bottles of it because I don't constantly use it.

I have a small thermostatic ceramic heater that I leave on near the glue shelf in my shop when it's freezing weather.

• Like 1

No offense folks but if you live where your titebond freezes, I have to ask why? But then again, here in Houston in August you can't drop your arms to your side for fear they will stick

Because August in indiana is the same way and we like a break, 32 feels great compared to 101 and 110% humidity!

We have four definite seasons in Houston: Before summer, summer, after summer and Christmas

So do we, January, May, August, October, the other 8, well, that's anybody's guess. I've seen it get to 60 in January, 20's in May, 72 in August, and be 70 one day in October and 30 the next.