Good buy on a No. 7

Tom King

Don't all the older ones have the lever cap?  I really like the Record planes, and have not had the need to upgrade an iron.  I get notified when one gets listed on ebay.  I need an 8c to complete my collection of standard planes.  So far all mine have been NOS condition, but I'd buy this one if I needed a 7.

I'll flatten one if anyone can't get it done themselves over here.  I use a big surface plate and wet-or-dry sandpaper.  If you do it yourself, take the knob and tote off, down to bare sole part.  I had to refinish the wood on the first old Stanley plane I did because handling the wet sandpaper to change gets your hands wet .For a 7 it's good to do the sides too for shooting.  The cast iron cuts quickly.  I hit it with 400 to start with to see what it looks like, and then go coarser to start accordingly. On a surface plate, you don't have to use adhesive on the sandpaper.  The surface has just the right texture that water alone will hold the paper in place, so it's a snap to change grits.

Cochese, if they haven't already shipped this one, have it sent to me if you aren't set up to lap one.  I'll take a video.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer, Tom. And the post about it in the first place.

I quit eBay awhile back due to their policies so I had to make a new account to purchase this. I'll let them ship it to me so they don't think there is any funny business.

I need to tune up almost all my planes, so when it gets here I'll evaluate if there is major work needed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Franklin, I'm glad to of enriched your cultural knowledge. I see it as my job, being one of a small number of brits here, to introduce you to the slightly bizare saying we have. Choc fire guard is a great one, "It fits like a shirt on a wheelbarrow" is one my family use now and again which I like. 

Tony +1 to that, some other forums don't allow it because it might force the price up for someone who is already bidding! I dont agree with that at all, links to good second hand tools from ebay et al are I think very useful indeed.

• Like 1

Franklin, I'm glad to of enriched your cultural knowledge. I see it as my job, being one of a small number of brits here, to introduce you to the slightly bizare saying we have. Choc fire guard is a great one, "It fits like a shirt on a wheelbarrow" is one my family use now and again which I like. 

Tony +1 to that, some other forums don't allow it because it might force the price up for someone who is already bidding! I dont agree with that at all, links to good second hand tools from ebay et al are I think very useful indeed.

I was born and raised in cape Breton, Nova Scotia, and we had lots of sayings too. Here are a few favs:

You can't polish a turd

Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once and a while

Crazy as a bag of hammer handles (or door knobs)

There are some more colourful ones that I cannot post on a family friendly forum ;)

• Like 2

This thing is nearly immaculate. Other than the owner engraving his name on the body, it looks barely used. My dating puts it between 1988 and 1998. I can't say for sure everything on it is original, but it's not something I would bet against.

If you snap a few pics, now that you have it in your possession, I'm sure that guys like graham will be able to get pretty close with a date!