More workbench questions

Orbb

Having given up on machine-like precision in my I am moving on to the legs and vice, and have several questions.

1).  Front vice - they are always at one end or another; is there any reason not to have it in the middle?  I only raise the issue because of some clearance issues with the legs. 

2).  Spacing of the legs - how far in should the legs be, either from the sides or the ends?  By placing them out at the corners or close thereto, am I sacrificing function for stability?

Any input is appreciated.

Vice: left side if right handed, right side if left handed. Makes the mechanics of planing work easier. Depends on how you plan to use your bench, but I'd imagine putting it in the middle will just get in the way.

Ideally I think the legs should be placed such that they balance the top with as much top mass inside the legs as outside. That means the top is less likely to sag outside or inside the leg supports.

The other consideration is that most people like their front vice on the outside of their legs. Sometimes this means biasing the base to one side to make room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk