color me impressed

duckkisser

resin would fill any gaps glue contracts so the gaps would be left behind.  as for gluing it up the guy specialized in segment turning so it is probably easer then a lot of those patterns. makes we want to actually finish up a project I had in mind.  I wanted to make a bowl out of a stack of records.  got the records never got around to gluing them together. there is probably all kinds of stuff around us to turn that we just don't think about.  need to start thinking more outside the box.

If you got hex shaped colored pencils they would nest together closer and reduce the amount of resin needed. And if you were doing a tall glue up you could either stagger the heights or scarf join 2 pencils of the same color.

Maybe a plastic bag and hose clamps tightened by a nut driver in a cordless drill would be they way to glue it up.

If you got hex shaped colored pencils they would nest together closer and reduce the amount of resin needed. And if you were doing a tall glue up you could either stagger the heights or scarf join 2 pencils of the same color.

Maybe a plastic bag and hose clamps tightened by a nut driver in a cordless drill would be they way to glue it up.

Actually, you would probably configure the pencils in the pattern you want, and then add resin and then put the hole shebang in a vacuum bag to clamp and get rid of any air bubbles.  I have to use clear epoxy to prepare metallographic mounts and we use vacuum infiltration to pull air out and push the resin into exposed interior spaces.....you would need to have an excess of resin to ensure that there was enough to fill.

Resin is structural "chemical plastic" to invent a term that will provide a better media to turn and harden denser than most glues. Glue would require the pencils be really tight and would not be very forgiving. Resin or even epoxies will fill better allowing you to fill a mold with pencils, pour in the resin, let it harden and then strip the mold. No clamping or binding would be necessary if your mold is fairly snug. I have done this with my wife's crafts but have never turned or sculpted these products. Someone else may have better info.

Again, I lack experience but this was easy to find.

This vid is polyester resin. There are lots of varieties. The trick would be finding clear. Steve did have a good point. I did not see at first that the pencils are hex shaped. If you have glue it may be worth giving glue a try first. I hope this is helpful and not just a goose chase.

• Like 1