Veneering glue options

Kuhn315

I used the PVA glue trick last year on this piece.  The wood was walnut on a plywood substrate.  Worked like a champ and has held in place with no problems.  Be willing to experiment.  There are a lot of differing opinions out there.  Google can usually lend you different sides to just about anything.  Here's a video I found for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxUKc4JWBaI

post-8-0-08524000-1385880950_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

==> Oh wow thanks for that tip, had no idea! 

There's no-way you'll get enough info from WTO to avoid frustration -- veneer projects are all about the the 'little things'...

Since you're doing project for a customer, I'd get Benson's book...

http://www.amazon.com/Woodworkers-Guide-Veneering-Inlay-Techniques/dp/1565233468/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385903186&sr=1-1&keywords=VENEER+BOOK

If you want to try purpose made modern glue better bond is fantastic i go through gallons of the the stuff. Even on full sheets of stitched walnut bleed through is not an issue. It got sot of a gritty feel from pecan shells to it which is what I assume helps with the the bleed through. I've used a few hundred gallons and never had a failure.

• Like 1

==> purpose made modern glue better bond is fantastic

Yea, I get mine from JoeW's on-line store...  I've only gone through a gallon or two...

One thing though, Joe recommends a 45mins vacuum time for Maple.  I kept one panel at exactly 45mins and it did fail...

Discussing the panel with Keil over at Vacupress, determined you need at least an hour with these adhesives, preferably hour fifteen...

==> purpose made modern glue better bond is fantastic

Yea, I get mine from JoeW's on-line store...  I've only gone through a gallon or two...

One thing though, Joe recommends a 45mins vacuum time for Maple.  I kept one panel at exactly 45mins and it did fail...

Discussing the panel with Keil over at Vacupress, determined you need at least an hour with these adhesives, preferably hour fifteen...

Your shop temps would have to be to low I only press for 40 minutes in the summer and 40 minutes in the winter with a heat blanket. Also check your shelf life cold press is very short lived. If the manufacturer says 12 months it's closer to 6. The only time in 25 years I've run my press over 40 minutes is when I forgot to set the timer. Buy a cheap heated blanket and throw it over the top. Also use it to pre heat and soften your bags.

==> Your shop temps would have to be to low

Climate controlled between 68 - 72...

==> If the manufacturer says 12 months it's closer to 6

Keil had me check, and it was pretty new stock, maybe four months...  Although he didn't mention that 12-months is more wish than fact...

==> Buy a cheap heated blanket and throw it over the top

Got one, don't use it as often as I should...  Maybe I'll start using it regularly from now on...

==> Also use it to pre heat and soften your bags. 

Now that's a great idea...  I've got 30mil bags, so that would be a definite help...  Thanks.

With the cold press veneer glue, is that usually or only done with a vacuum press? I do not have a vacuum press and can't really afford one at the moment which is why I was wondering what other alternatives/glue up methods were available. You guys have been a great help by the way!

==> Your shop temps would have to be to low

Climate controlled between 68 - 72...

==> If the manufacturer says 12 months it's closer to 6

Keil had me check, and it was pretty new stock, maybe four months...  Although he didn't mention that 12-months is more wish than fact...

==> Buy a cheap heated blanket and throw it over the top

Got one, don't use it as often as I should...  Maybe I'll start using it regularly from now on...

==> Also use it to pre heat and soften your bags. 

Now that's a great idea...  I've got 30mil bags, so that would be a definite help...  Thanks.

68-72 is to cold. Your working in a vacuum temps need to be elevated. If the material feels cool to your face then it needs a heat blanket. Every "real" vacuum press is temp controlled and small production units run at about 95 -100. The heat blanket is a good fake it on the cheap fix.

With the cold press veneer glue, is that usually or only done with a vacuum press? I do not have a vacuum press and can't really afford one at the moment which is why I was wondering what other alternatives/glue up methods were available. You guys have been a great help by the way!

Better bond will work without a press.

• Like 1

Keep it lowtec and don't over think it. Sandwich your piece between two thick layers of material such as two pieces of ply cut slightly larger than your sides this will help protect your surfaces and spread the load of your clamps evenly, as for the glue you can use the wood glue you always use just don't flood the surfaces, a thin coat applied to both surfaces is enough. If this is your first time applying a face veneer go slow do one piece at a time, ordinary wood glue will give you enough time to get everything done. Good luck and let's see some picture when your done :)