Christmas Gifts

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome work Tumbles.

I made two end grain cutting boards and a padauk Xylophone for my nephew. Steve Ramsey did a xylophone video two weeks or so ago so that gave me the inspiration. I ended up following the design that Boatworks put up a few years back a bit more closely.

I will put up some photos when the wiping poly dries. I was torn about finishing the keys, and left them unfinished incase it might affect the tone.

Two brick pattern cutting boards (ok, one of them is for me, and the other one is almost done), two piggy banks (got the second coat of pink paint on today, still have to do the eyes and mouth), a tree house dollhouse (second coat of green paint on the "leaves" part, still have to finish the base, make flooring, a fence, and a rope ladder) , and a race car that I haven't even started and am just sitting down to design at 12:45 am Christmas eve.  If I hadn't turned the piggy banks into waaaay more of a project than they needed to be I would probably be done now, but I just can't turn it off and make something simple.  Started with Steve Ramsey's piggy bank but too many ideas on how to make it cooler and no self control.  Plus I really hate to just copy something somebody else did.

Two end grain cutting boards for my daughters-in-law. A custom chest for one son's hunting gear and a wall hanging cabinet for my other son's work gear (he's a deputy). Framed, magnetic bulletin boards (fabric covered) for my two granddaughters. A "writing desk" for my 4 yr old grandson - it's a small box with a handle that has a whiteboard on one side and a chalkboard on the other (which slides open to reveal storage for chalk and markers) and has the ABC's stenciled all around it. Those are the main things. It's been a lot if fun!

One the twelfth day of Christmas my woodworker gave to me...

twelve coaster sets

eleven ipad holders

ten  ornaments

nine turned pens

eight reindeer

seven decorations

six bread trays

five wall clocks

four vase holders

three easels

two piggy banks

and a padauk Xylophone for my nephew

• Like 1

Got everything done with the help of two nights in a row up till 3 am.  This was all done in one week after a month of working my tail off in the shop.  Ready for some time out of the shop but not going to get it.

post-13721-0-24185400-1388023958_thumb.jpost-13721-0-76713100-1388023960_thumb.j

I don't like to copy other people's designs but after seeing this pattern on Etsy I had to make one for myself and one to give to my parents.  At least I came up with the edge treatment on my own.

post-13721-0-26934400-1388023962_thumb.j

I started with Steve Ramsey's piggy bank design and then changed pretty much everything except the outline of the body.  It's not exactly fine woodworking, but the ears and the tail in particular are some interesting stuff.  The tail is 5 layers of maple veneer which was a tricky glue-up to pull off but it's really strong in the end.  These were really my downfall, spent way too much time on them.

post-13721-0-33111300-1388023963_thumb.j

Mostly a cnc project with some band-sawing.  Done in one day but had to leave some surfaces not as nice as what I would have liked, particularly under the spoiler.  You know you're having fun when you're standing around trying to hold down a veneer windshield with your thumbs at 2:15 am that didn't stick down with the tape and weights you put on it at 2 so you had to figure out how to get more glue in there and then just hold it.  Also made the genius move of cutting in with the band saw to remove some of the material in the middle of the blanks but made my entry cut right where the axle needed to be drilled.  Had to drill it out with a forstner and glue in a plug.

post-13721-0-55721500-1388023964_thumb.j

And finally the easiest of the bunch other than the painting.   Oddly the rope ladder I did at 2 am came out straighter than the one I did in the middle of the day, go figure!  This was what she had picked out from a magazine http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C928%2C466&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1388024918157 but I couldn't live with the trunk being in 3 places at once.  I wanted to continue the trunk into the middle space and make it branch but I figured it would make it too hard to play with.  Maybe I'll make a removable one when I do the furniture for her birthday.  Plus it needs a fence to make a room on the bottom to make up for the one I got rid of.

• Like 2

Awesome uncle Chuck!

My sons and I made a 'tool tote' style box for their grandfather to hold all of his car washing/detailing supplies. (Guy can have a 5 year old car and it always looks like he just drove it off the showroom floor.)

We also made a basic pine end table to go next to the recliner my oldest got for Christmas. (What good is a recliner when you don't have a place to put your beer?)

And lastly, we made a bedside "laptop desk" for my youngest. He got a new laptop, but doesn't have room for a desk. Basically a tall table to let him sit on the bed and use his laptop.