Spalted Dogwood - What to do, what to do

So, I happened upon some spalted dogwood. I'm told there's more if I want it, but being that the last time I worked with dogwood I was 8 years old, I figured I'd post here first. Anyway, this piece is 32"L x 7" wide (at narrowest point) x 4/4 that I had resawed into two 1/2" pieces. I was thinking that I could use them to make a card box for all the birthday, Christmas, father's day, mother's day, anniversary, etc, etc, etc cards that we've accumulated over the years. I LOVE the way it hand-planes. I figure I could use it as a nice veneer. What do you think? What would you guys use it for, and if you could get more, similarly sized pieces (not resawed), where would you see it being used?

Front:

gallery_1219_249_362180.jpg

Back:

gallery_1219_249_22203.jpg

Beautiful Wood! I have never worked with dogwood before, but it is pretty.

Jeff

I grew up in northern Virginia, just northwest of Washington D.C. -- Dogwoods are the state tree in Virginia, so your not "supposed" to cut them down, but when I was younger, there were several that had to be cleared from my uncle's property. It smells good when it burns (for firewood) and I got a few pieces to whittle on. I made a couple spoons and a miniature baseball bad. That is my only experience with dogwood. :)

So, when this came along AND it was spalted, I figured, why not? Now, I just need to figure out what to make with it. :)

CA is super glue or Cyanoacrylate glue. Many use it to stabilize spalted wood. Here's another option from It's a Burl. Scroll down to "Do It Yourself - Wood Stabilizing.

Hey, thanks for that link! I think I'll try that Protective Coatings stuff from the Depot. I'll have to pick up a rubbermaid container large enough to put the wood in, and I'll likely have to do them one at a time. I didn't realize you had to stabilize spalted wood. I guess you truly do learn something new every day. Just a little more info: I was told this dogwood had been air dried over the past 20 years.

Hey, thanks for that link! I think I'll try that Protective Coatings stuff from the Depot. I'll have to pick up a rubbermaid container large enough to put the wood in, and I'll likely have to do them one at a time. I didn't realize you had to stabilize spalted wood. I guess you truly do learn something new every day. Just a little more info: I was told this dogwood had been air dried over the past 20 years.

I just wish they had the pictures they used to of the place. I visited about 7 years ago. What a cool place!!

Check out these photos I found of the place. Main Gallery Building, It's a Burl Burlwood Gallery, Kerby, OR It's truly a magical place! I wish they still sold large burl slabs from their website.

That's wild. Next time I travel to the west coast, I may have to swing that way and pay a visit. Thanks for the link!

Check out the current issue of "WOOD". There is an article showing some very nice use of wood with the kind grain you are showing in the attachments.

Thanks. I'll be sure to do that.

They look like a pair of doors to me.

That's more or less what I was thinking. Maybe a Jewelry box with a couple doors and drawer fronts. I had thought about a cabinet, but honestly, I have no idea where I'd put it. That, and we'll probably only be in the condo a couple more years before we sell and purchase a house with some land. :) So, I'm loathe to do too many more "additions" that I can't take with me.

some folks turn dogwood for mallet heads. read it on the internet...must be true.

I had read something similar. Also, pen blanks and golf club heads. I wonder if we read the same sources? :P

• 2 weeks later...

So, after watching the Halloween Project video, I think I'll use these to form the bottoms of a couple Maple Leaf shaped router-made "Trays". So, the question is, will and oil finish (Like Tung Oil Finish) once it's fully cured be enough to stabilize the spalted dogwood, or would I still need to use the PC Petrifier from Protective Coatings?