Repairing a gap in a glue up

JohnDi

Curious what I should use to fill a gap in a glue up.

I glued up blanks for cabriole legs with 4 one inch thick pieces 4" wide.

After cutting them out on the band saw, I have some very thin gaps (in the front of the legs naturally) about one inch long between the boards on one leg.

Is this a job for epoxy mixed with saw dust, or can I use titebond mixed with dust. Is there any other method I could try?

I am really hoping I can make the fill invisible as this will be my first piece of "real" furniture.

Thankfully ? I have plenty of dust from the sanding of the legs that should match color.

Another option would be to work on the piece and finish it as you originally planned. You some wax repair sticks when the finish is cured and buff well.

I have used the epoxy trick and it works very well. If you want to go this route, make sure you test in scrap first. Particleboard has a great technique using an RO sander.

In the past, I have mixed the saw/sander dust with the same finish that I was going to use for the final finish instead of glue. You have to let it dry good before the final finish but, I don't think the filler was quite as noticeable. 

One thing you do have to watch for if you use shellac is to be very careful around the patch as the finish coat can soften up what you have already put down.

But then, you must realize, I'm not real good at patching or finishing anyway. :)

Rog