Overrated Woodworking

G S Haydon

2) Panel Saws...who the hell would need one of those?

Well, the other day I was thinking I wouldn't mind one of those as there is absolutely no way I can get a full sheet of plywood in my shop due to the tricky double set of doors at right angles. I'd have the panel saw along the wall inside the first door and I would slide the plywood right onto the saw from the door to break down and get into the second door / main area. But I don't see anyone giving me one of those anytime soon, so a set of sawhorses and circular/track saw outside does the job.

Well, the other day I was thinking I wouldn't mind one of those as there is absolutely no way I can get a full sheet of plywood in my shop due to the tricky double set of doors at right angles. I'd have the panel saw along the wall inside the first door and I would slide the plywood right onto the saw from the door to break down and get into the second door / main area. But I don't see anyone giving me one of those anytime soon, so a set of sawhorses and circular/track saw outside does the job.

I was actually talking about hand saws, but yeah, the TS55 has pretty much made the monstrous panel saw moot.

Anything that helps organize the explosion of tool clutter that occupies every horizontal surface in my little garage shop is Good Enough for me right now.

I was feeling pretty good about getting the cabinet built until I saw Derek Cohen's tool cabinets in the brace and bit storage thread.

Shabby chic is still in right?

• Like 1

Measuring.   WAY overrated.   It is amazing how much can be accomplished without measuring.

Put me in the pro- card scraper pro-Roy crowd.  I can contribute a good portion of my woodworking knowledge to watching The Woodwright's Shop.  

• Like 1

The right way to do........ANYTHING! 

I am a firm believer that there is no "right way" to do anything. It is what works best for you.

Rog

Woodworking is nothing more than a process. I think its more a matter of what ever you happen to enjoy. I dont care if you like chewing out tenons with your teeth if thats the process you enjoy then by all means have at it. In the long run its its just a means to an end, you might as well enjoy it.

• Like 1

I have never seen a cabinet table saw that I would call industrial. There is a huge difference between commercial and industrial. Industrial rips and cutoffs would not fit in a hobby shop and do not resemble table saws. Are you saying you think commercial offerings are overkill?

I think he means the 14+" monsters like these.

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm