Underrated Woodworking

Okay, I was having so much fun following Graham's overrated woodworking post. I thought I'd start the "Underrated Woodworking" Thread.

Here are my two:

1 - Chalk - I have a box of different colored classroom style chalk in my shop. Most of it is white, but also some red and blue which shows up better on maple. - Anyway since I've started laying out large triangles on pieces and clearly marking them with chalk, I haven't cut a tenon on the wrong end of a board or put the dado on the wrong side of the piece. On many pieces I'll write THIS SIDE DOWN so that I know when running them over the dado head that if I can read it I'd better stop and think.

2 - Hand screws - How does anyone build stuff without these versatile clamps. I use them as a second pair of hands when routing small pieces, I use them to as a fixture, I use them to hold pieces upright when working on them (a sort of foot on the leg, if you get my analogy). Oh yeah and I sometimes clamp stuff with them.

What are a couple of your underrated woodworking stuff?

Okay, I was having so much fun following Graham's overrated woodworking post. I thought I'd start the "Underrated Woodworking" Thread.

1 - Chalk - I have a box of different colored classroom style chalk in my shop. Most of it is white, but also some red and blue which shows up better on maple. - Anyway since I've started laying out large triangles on pieces and clearly marking them with chalk, I haven't cut a tenon on the wrong end of a board or put the dado on the wrong side of the piece. On many pieces I'll write THIS SIDE DOWN so that I know when running them over the dado head that if I can read it I'd better stop and think.

I am constantly telling myself that I should get chalk for the shop but I never remember when I am out and about.

For me, it was hand tools. Especially my shoulder plane. I feel like the quality of the things I have built have drastically increased the moment I quit using power tools for precision work, and switched to planes and chisels.

Nice one Chet, much better to do this than having a grumble :)

Electricity

Kiln dried wood ready to go

And as a group skilled Shuttering and Structural Carpentrs does not get enough love! Think a mortice & tennon is hard to learn? Do one of these on site, with a roofing square and a ready reconner, (no prefab trusses), then thou shall be a man my son! BTW, I have never done one, still a boy ;).

hip-roof-framing.gif

• Like 2

I think one of the most under rated things is a great Mentor. Mine was my neighbor. He's passed on now but if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be where I am today. Thanks, Pete. 

+1 on this, especially someone who helped with building a tool collection.

As I get older, light and good glasses. 

I'd love a great mentor. I started this woodworking thing because I had a need to create something. I haven't had any mentor in person. I read all I can, and watch as many videos as possible. That gets me to where I am today. Well, that and a background as a machine builder and machinist.

A good mentor is certainly something I wish there were more of!

post-9382-0-46815400-1388598739_thumb.jp

Graham, not framing this week but this was my week outside. Was not wood working per sé as it was Azec trim, but I used my speed square often. This has me thinking of my cold weather gear. The right gear is worth its weight in gold and is often overlooked, underrated.

In the vein you opened G, I think the ability to properly design a stair case is underrated. Lots of crap deck stairs not to mention house stairs in my area. Inappropriate rises, uneven rises, inappropriate run, inappropriate handrails....

• Like 2

I'm with Chet I like chalk. After listening to marks pod cast they mentioned the lock miter being over rated and being such a pain to set up. The reason is it down sized way to far and router is not the right tool for the job. So I'll add shapers, cutters like the lock miter are easy when used on the right machine and they are not shrunk down to far.

hand held jig saws are under rated. I don't own a bandsaw and every time i think I need one i bring out my bosch jig saw and it does the job. breaking down rough stock, curves, rough dimensioning, it does a lot. I bring my cordless jig saw to the lumber yard so i can break down boards that will not fit in my car.

hand held jig saws are under rated. I don't own a bandsaw and every time i think I need one i bring out my bosch jig saw and it does the job. breaking down rough stock, curves, rough dimensioning, it does a lot. I bring my cordless jig saw to the lumber yard so i can break down boards that will not fit in my car.

Cordless jigsaw is a pretty good idea for just that purpose. When I had my car, that would have been amazing.

Cheap ryobi 5 1/2 cordless circular saw add a zero clearance Masonite base and the little thing makes short work of sheet goods.

I remember when my dad had one of those circular saws. Was one of the early ones that Craftsman released, and I loved it. The batteries for it are long dead, but it earned its keep.