Underrated Woodworking

Cheap ryobi 5 1/2 cordless circular saw add a zero clearance Masonite base and the little thing makes short work of sheet goods.

You're going to have to tell me your secret, because mine's about as useful as a wet fart. I get about 18" inches into a cut and it stalls. Not too many blades for that size, either.

You're going to have to tell me your secret, because mine's about as useful as a wet fart. I get about 18" inches into a cut and it stalls. Not too many blades for that size, either.

I don't use it enough to drain a battery. That said its no problem to cross cut a sheet of 3/4 cleanly with a Masonite base. Cuts nearly as well as PC 314 which cuts as well as a ts55.

I work alone a lot, no helper.  For me a set of quick clamps prove invaluable - an extra set of hands.  I built an small 10x14 pole shed with no help but wouldn't have been able to get it done with out some quick clamps.  Put a clamp on one of the posts, Put one end of the roof support beam on it.  Up the ladder with the other end and another clamp.  Make sure the location is correct and fasten.  Repeat.

Hahaha,

I would agree with you on that one Graham. I would also say being able to rough a set of stairs in is not easy either :) Both of which I can say I have done :) I would say that one of the most underrated things is painters.

Nice one Chet, much better to do this than having a grumble :)

Electricity

Kiln dried wood ready to go

And as a group skilled Shuttering and Structural Carpentrs does not get enough love! Think a mortice & tennon is hard to learn? Do one of these on site, with a roofing square and a ready reconner, (no prefab trusses), then thou shall be a man my son! BTW, I have never done one, still a boy ;).

hip-roof-framing.gif

• Like 1

Did you check to see if the sole of the saw is parallel with the blade?  My PC 314 cuts great with a masonite edge guide, but it didn't cut well until I aligned the sole to the blade.  It took some careful measuring and more careful filing of the saw body's casting before they were parallel.

After working on a project recently, I've discovered having the cutting surface at an accessible height is another underrated item.

Also, having the outlet in the right location is very helpful.  (Or remembering where that extension cord is for my few powered hand tools.)

prototypes.  That way, you can see what the mistake you're making will affect.  (OK, so maybe it's just my woodworking skill level...)

I agree. Giving oneself the time to build a mock-up is so valuable. My mate Mark once said while we were building canoe together: "You know how the second joint is so much better than the first one? Why don't you just cut the second one first!!!!!"

• Like 1

Youtube is a good one. I too found the WoodWhisperer there.

Also, considering the weather we've been having in the rectangle states lately. A heated shop is totally under-rated. I was in my shop the other night watching the snow ... and my garbage can ... blow by and thought, "Hmm.... it's nice and toasty in here. I sure don't miss my first shop (which of course wasn't heated. I used to wear Carhart cover-all while I worked.)