New framing square! One time Tool.

wdwerker

It looks like Woodpeckers is getting ready to ship my new 16" x 26" framing square! I am looking forward to having a large accurate square for setting fences and checking sheet goods. I know they are expensive but the repercussions of one days cuts with the fence on my sliding table out of square makes it worth the price.

Has anyone else ordered one? Or have one from the first batch they ran a few years back?

I noticed they had done a pre-authorization on my card.

I have one and use it a lot to square up the tracks for my festool track saw when cutting sheet goods. It was expensive but I thing it has definitely helped make sure my cuts on large panels are square. I also use it for layout lines on large sheets too.

I keep checking for mine too! I ordered the combo set while visiting family in Chicago this summer. I originally ordered the larger 26" but emailed them a week later to make it a combo. I just thought the 18" might be good to have at times as well. Pricey, but in twenty+ years of woodworking, I've always found it worth while to spend on good tools. I now have a growing collection of Woodpecker Tools.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to spend some time today with my new framing square. I has a nice weight to it which helps with accurate marking, it stays where you put it! The cheeks on the short leg make it act like a king-sized try square. I was building a jig prototype and wanted everything nice and square.

• Like 1

If a lack of accuracy would cost you hundreds of dollars in materials then having dead accurate squares for setting up fences and doing layout work is a must.

The combo set has a 26" large square and a smaller one.

Woodpeckers usually runs a few extra one time tools in each batch. Call and ask?

I called a week after I got my Paolini Pocket rule and got a metric one for layout work with European concealed hinges.

• 11 months later...

I just got an email that they are making another batch of these framing squares if anyone wants one. Awesome tool! After having mine for a year now it's become the gold standard for checking squareness of parts as well as very useful in layout work.

Steve - Does it have an stay put edge (technical term) for striking a line on sheet goods, riding the edge of table, etc...?

I'm going to take a shot at one of these... I had some issues on my last project getting the plywood dimensioned (too big to run thru with my 30" rails on the table saw), so hoping this will help get those bigger panels squared up with the track saw... I can't believe I just ordered a $200 framing square.

Man $220 for a square is a lot of money.... At that price I'd start looking at a Starrett, unless that Woodpeckers comes with a shop assistant that pours beer and sands for you.

The price is actually pretty fair assuming it is actually square and will stay square if dropped. My brother in law owns a huge machine shop that makes air plane parts and owns a huge 20K master square, even with no labor it would cost me about $200 to have one made. He made one for my daughters box shop out of mdf to set up her FT tracks. I have a 24" shop made mdf one that is a few years old that checks out great on the master square. If you don't want to spend the money its easy to make a accurate square in the shop with just your tablesaw.

Supposed to be within .001 and garuanteed lifetime, so just send it back if it gets out. I treat mine very carefully and put it back in its storage slot that I made for it.

It has cheeks on both sides of the short edge and a knotch so you can draw a line all the way to the edge of a panel. The blade is thick and the whole thing has a nice weight to it. Unlike a steel framing square it lays flat , no twist to get the edge on the board.

Just to throw this out there, I've been considering getting the T square instead:

http://www.woodpeck.com/tsquare32.html

The 24" T square is significantly cheaper than the 26" framing square, and even the 32" T square is cheaper.  If most of what you're doing is layout on large panels or squaring up your track saw track, the T square is probably just as good.  Obviously it doesn't allow you to check cases for square, so if you're doing a lot of large casework the framing square might be a much better choice.  The T square also wouldn't help with tool setup.

Just spitballing right now as I try to decide whether to pull the trigger.  I suppose like every tool it really depends on your primary use case.

• Like 1