Anyone used 8020 Aluminum extrusions before?

Nick2cd

Im thinking of buying an 8020 extrusion to add to a bench that will allow me to easily clamp work vertically or horizontally while using my domino and or sanders.  anyone used this stuff?  i know it's good stuff but I'm specifically curious how strong it is.  anyone with experience?

Sorry if this is too vague...

Basically, the extrusions have grooves that accept clips that are secured through the extrusions with a bolt. One extrusion is drilled with a clearance hole and the other has the threaded clip.

They sell a jig, or you can make one, either way you have to be fairly precise with the through hole for it to be done right.

The ends of the extrusions should be capped with those plastic ends.

If it's too vague I can draw a picture or find one online. They also make lots of accessories for the extrusions. And other companies have similar products.

I'm looking to build a bench and incorporate an extrusion for the front rail. I want to use my festool quick clamps in the t slots to hold work pieces. They have a standard and a light version of the extrusion I'm looking to buy. The light version is cheaper and will probably be plenty strong for my purposes but I've never handled it, so I don't know for sure.

Aluminum extrusions are for structural use, woodworkers adopted it into their work. It will be strong enough for anything you intend to use it for

Freddie,

I think it should be strong enough as well. I'm just not sure if the "light" extrusion will be strong enough. The standard weight should be plenty but I'm trying to decide if the "light" will work.

When you get ready to order consider a 2-3 day lead time if you are ordering from 80/20 directly. Most of the resellers(the ones in GA) do not stock material. 

You may also want to consider Bosch Rexroth aluminum framing. It is a more costly than 80/20. They have a much larger distribution network and larger product selection. Bosch can also be bought on Ebay.

One other product to check out is Faztek: http://www.faztek.net. I have not used their product but others around me speak highly of them. They are based in Fort Wayne, IN about 30 minutes from 80/20. 

Cheers