Live Edge Walnut Slab Trestle Conference Table

Phil Lunsford

right.pdftop.pdfI just wanted to leave this here, do a little bragging.  11' x 3' walnut slab with walnut trestle base.  Glued up some 8/4 stock for the base, bridle joints for the feet and maple wedges for the through tenons.  She didn't want the top so dark, so I used Varathane water-based floor finish for the top, but wiping varnish for the base to give it a nice contrast.  I thought about going all Nakashima and putting dutchmen in the splits, but decided not to due to my lack of experience with that technique.  There's always next time though!

This was commissioned for a friend who was remodeling her new office space and wanted something special to commemorate the occasion; I was happy to oblige, and she was thrilled!  First time doing something this large.  Feels good to know it can only get better!

• Like 1

Great table! That edge treatment almost makes your live edge look like stone. Your pics are posted as PDF. I have never tried to post a pic as PDF but I upload with the button to the lower right of the posting dialogue box that says "more reply options" I believe. If it recognizes your pic and is under the size limit, there is a button that says "add to post" if you want the image to show in the post. Hope that helps.

Really nice table! The only thing I don't particularly care for is the species of wood you used for the tenon wedge. Would have been nice if it matched the heartwood of the table top or trestle better, or something darker, possibly ebony. From the picture it looks like cheaper pine in a fine piece of furniture.

No, I delivered last week.  I just centered the slab on the legs and screwed cleats (with room for expansion around the screws) on either side of the support (its basically the same as the foot, but at the top).  The center support has a cross-piece that I screwed to the slab, but other than that it's not attached to the base.  The cleats keep it from racking and the center support from moving side to side, and the sheer weight of the thing holds it all pretty well in place.  Before I put finish on I literally stood, jumped and shimmied on top of the thing.