Watco Butcher Block Oil

Zack Snowy

Hey guys,

I am in the process of making a couple more end grain cutting boards. In the past I have always used Watco butcher block oil. In my opinion it seems to be getting the job done, but I have never tried anything else, and there are a lot of mixed opinions on it. I am hoping that one of you guys have tried other brands like general finishes and would be able to compare. Or maybe I am just being to cautious. I am not interested in using mineral oil or beeswax finishes.

I know of gf salad bowl finish, and I think tried and true oil is also non toxic, but I never used it so I am not sure. I love butcher block oil because of its crysal clear application. It shows the true beauty of the wood without tinting. A re-coat is always in order from time to time to maintain, but it is still a nice finish. 

Only drawback to Watco Butcher Block oil is it has a bit too much varnish in it. If you re not careful it builds up on the surface, I found that out the hard way. Thin coats and rub it out , don't leave a thick coat.

I usually do three coats, each one is wiped of all the excess and periodically checked to wipe off any bleeding oil, usually never happens. Light sanding 600 between coats, never had a build problem yet, seems to work well. 

• 8 years later...

Hey so I’m using watch butcher block oil and finish also, I have done 3 coats so far and am debating on doing another but I wanted to ask if anyone knew if you NEED to sand it before you do another coat or if I can put another coat on without sanding… thanks for any help.