Which dust collector to buy?

Pwalter5110

Currently I have a rocker dust right wall mounted dust collector. I HATE it! I swear there is more wood chips and dust that end up in my basement, than the trash can separator I have set up. I was  thinking about upgrading and I hear so many positive things about the harbor freight dust collector that I am really wandering if it will do what I need. 

I can either get the Harbor Freight dust collector with a coupon for around $150 which seems like a pretty nice bargain, or I could get the Jet DC 650-BK 1HP dust collector. The Harbor Freight is rated at 2 HP, but we all know how accurate HP ratings are. I have heard that the impeller size on the HP version is smaller than other dust collectors, and I am sure that greatly effect CFM. 

I have a VERY small shop. But my planer, jointer, and bandsaw don't really move. I want permanent hookups to those tools and was wondering which would be best, if any. For all I know, I might have to get something a little bigger for what I want also. So any advice is appreciated!

I have the delta 50-760 and it works really well. I swapped out the 4 inch hose (and y fitting) for a 5" hose. It's next to my jointer and planer, so swapping the hose from one machine to the next takes no time. It comes standard with a 1 micron bag, and an 11 inch impeller.

It's a great unit for the money. Just make sure that you treat it as designed - it's not designed to be parked in the corner and have lots of ductwork attached. I use about a 5 foot length of smooth walled flex hose.

I have a small Jet dust collector and it works for me!

Everything is on wheels, table saw, planer, router table and the dust collector and I have to hook up the collector to a given tool every time I use it.

Granted, it is the only dust collector I've ever used and I'm sure that bigger is better and there may be other smaller ones that are better but, I'm happy with it.

Someone on another site complained the their Jet dust collector was spitting dust out around the lower bag and they had to duct tape it up to seal it. After I explained that you have to clean out the upper bag once in awhile to "let it breath" and get better suction they were much happier with it.

Rog

Yeah, I also hear a lot of rave reviews about the HF DC.  But I wonder what they're comparing it to?  Possibly nothing?  That DC compared to nothing is going to be great.  Or perhaps they're comparing it to a shop-vac.  That comparison would be favorable, too.

It is, after all, a Harbor Freight machine.  It goes without saying they sell complete junk.  But at that price, it's probably worth the gamble.  Maybe buy four of them, one for each machine. :D

The conventional wisdom is always buy the best you can afford.  But I think in this case your money would probably be better spent on the bigger, cheaper HF, than the smaller, more expensive Jet.  I find Jet tools to be overpriced for the most part.  People get hung up on the cool name and the white paint and forget that it's just another machine.  Jet is better at selling their brand than they are at making good tools at the right price...IMHO.  And I don't have anything against Jet per se...a Performax is on my buy list.

Eric, I completely agree with a lot of what you are saying. I have said for a while, that I'm not a fan of jet. I think in general they are overpriced. I just don't want to buy the HF dust collector and regret it. I bought the Rockler dust right collector when I was just starting out and I just left the shop because I got tired of stopping what I was doing to clean out my planer. Its TERRIBLE. I have no problem saving a couple pennies for something a little more, but with a child on the way I can't see myself buying a clear vue. 

Do you all think a smaller DC like the jet or HF is capable of being hooked up permanently to machines. The runs will be less than 10 ft? 

Right now I am using a flexible hose from the dust right to a trash can, and from the trash can to the machine. I think the flex pipe isn't helping issue I am having at all. It constantly gets clogged at every bend in the flex pipe.

Yeah, I also hear a lot of rave reviews about the HF DC.  But I wonder what they're comparing it to?  Possibly nothing?  That DC compared to nothing is going to be great.  Or perhaps they're comparing it to a shop-vac.  That comparison would be favorable, too.

Those are what I call enthusiasm reviews. Similar to the one you read about every other tool. Folks that just don't know any better.

Outlet

Yeah, I also hear a lot of rave reviews about the HF DC. But I wonder what they're comparing it to? Possibly nothing? That DC compared to nothing is going to be great. Or perhaps they're comparing it to a shop-vac. That comparison would be favorable, too. It is, after all, a Harbor Freight machine. It goes without saying they sell complete junk. But at that price, it's probably worth the gamble. Maybe buy four of them, one for each machine. :D The conventional wisdom is always buy the best you can afford. But I think in this case your money would probably be better spent on the bigger, cheaper HF, than the smaller, more expensive Jet. I find Jet tools to be overpriced for the most part. People get hung up on the cool name and the white paint and forget that it's just another machine. Jet is better at selling their brand than they are at making good tools at the right price...IMHO. And I don't have anything against Jet per se...a Performax is on my buy list.
HF sells lower QC units built alongside name brand models or typically purchases the rights to build previous models. My lathe (Jet 1236) is well received as an entry model. My bandsaw is a clone of any other 14" unit sold for the last 30 years or so. I personally don't mind doing a bit of tweaking on a tool that has been run through the gauntlet by others before me, figuring out all the tricks. It depends on how much time or money I would need, and that becomes part of the equation. As this isn't my job I have that luxury. With a Wynn and a Thein it becomes a very good unit. I wouldn't compare it to a Clear Vue, because you aren't supposed to. I'd buy it over any other entry-level DC out there though because of how much R& D other buyers have put into it. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Eric, I completely agree with a lot of what you are saying. I have said for a while, that I'm not a fan of jet. I think in general they are overpriced. I just don't want to buy the HF dust collector and regret it. I bought the Rockler dust right collector when I was just starting out and I just left the shop because I got tired of stopping what I was doing to clean out my planer. Its TERRIBLE. I have no problem saving a couple pennies for something a little more, but with a child on the way I can't see myself buying a clear vue. 

Do you all think a smaller DC like the jet or HF is capable of being hooked up permanently to machines. The runs will be less than 10 ft? 

Right now I am using a flexible hose from the dust right to a trash can, and from the trash can to the machine. I think the flex pipe isn't helping issue I am having at all. It constantly gets clogged at every bend in the flex pipe.

Never overlook Grizzly if you're in bang-for-your-buck mode.  Grizzly is about smack in the middle of HF and Jet in terms of quality and price...and IMO closer to Jet in quality and closer to HF in price.

Those are what I call enthusiasm reviews. Similar to the one you read about every other tool. Folks that just don't know any better.

Enthusiasm reviews...classic.  I'd say that's about right.  Of course the cost/return ratio on that HF DC is pretty damn good...IF it keeps running...and that's the big question.

the rights to build previous models.

That's the key phrase, though, Cochese.  The rights to build previous models.  That doesn't mean they're the same.  If Lie-Nielsen started outsourcing their manufacturing to China, you don't have to be Nostradamus to predict the result.  QC is just as important as design and engineering.  Just because design X built by manufacturer Y is a time-tested, quality product, doesn't mean that design X built by manufacturer Z won't be a complete dud.

I've had single baggers to 4 baggers.  I've sold all the small ones, and the smallest I want, or use, for anything is a 3hp 4-bagger by Woodtek.  Woodworkers Supply is close enough to me so that I don't have to pay shipping charges, but shipping charges may make a difference where you are.  With the Pro discount, the Woodtek 3hp costs me about 635.  It will suck all the dust out of the neighborhood.  It's nice not breathing dust.

I'd consider this one if I were in your shoes...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Dust-Collector-with-Aluminum-Impeller-Polar-Bear-Series/G1029Z2P

g1029z2p.jpg

Or for another $125 you can get the canister version...which hardly seems worth it.  If you buy the first one you can have my canister if you pay the shipping cost...if Sam doesn't get it first...I think it was Sam I offered it to.  And that's if it fits on that first model.  Not sure about that.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2HP-Canister-Dust-Collector-with-Aluminum-Impeller-Polar-Bear-Series/G0548ZP

g0548zp.jpg

That's the key phrase, though, Cochese. The rights to build previous models. That doesn't mean they're the same. If Lie-Nielsen started outsourcing their manufacturing to China, you don't have to be Nostradamus to predict the result. QC is just as important as design and engineering. Just because design X built by manufacturer Y is a time-tested, quality product, doesn't mean that design X built by manufacturer Z won't be a complete dud.

I think the key is managing expectations.

HF was appealing to me initially because I didn't have to invest a fortune. But even then I knew that I wouldn't necessarily be getting 100% of a tool at 20% of the cost.

I looked for used bandsaws for ages. Most of what I found were extremely overpriced or were the rust monsters of Lake Erie. So, I took a chance on the HF for about $175. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but if it gets me through the first five years I will consider it a zero sum situation. The fit and finish is subpar, but it does the things a 14" saw should. I went in with low expectations and I have been slightly impressed.

My lathe on the other hand I have been very impressed with. Low expectations again, but this time I came away thinking this was pretty close to what I would get with a much larger investment. So, yes, in this case I was thrilled. No tinkering, no adjusting. Just go. What I also liked was that anything I bought for it would also work for any other lathe if it came time to upgrade. Since I live so close to a HF the prospect of getting a dud isn't a big deal.

I know my situation isn't shared by all, so I do temper my recommendations accordingly. HF could really rename themselves YMMV. A lot of things really are crap, and are better suited to one-time use tools.

I don't go in there much anymore, unless I need a consumable or two.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

HF was appealing to me initially because I didn't have to invest a fortune. But even then I knew that I wouldn't necessarily be getting 100% of a tool at 20% of the cost.

I looked for used bandsaws for ages. Most of what I found were extremely overpriced or were the rust monsters of Lake Erie. So, I took a chance on the HF for about $175. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but if it gets me through the first five years I will consider it a zero sum situation. The fit and finish is subpar, but it does the things a 14" saw should. I went in with low expectations and I have been slightly impressed.

My lathe on the other hand I have been very impressed with. Low expectations again, but this time I came away thinking this was pretty close to what I would get with a much larger investment. So, yes, in this case I was thrilled. No tinkering, no adjusting. Just go. What I also liked was that anything I bought for it would also work for any other lathe if it came time to upgrade. Since I live so close to a HF the prospect of getting a dud isn't a big deal.

I know my situation isn't shared by all, so I do temper my recommendations accordingly. HF could really rename themselves YMMV. A lot of things really are crap, and are better suited to one-time use tools.

I don't go in there much anymore, unless I need a consumable or two.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cochese I see eye to eye with you on your point of view for harbor freight. I am a mechanic and 99% of my work related tools are snap on. In general, they are the best tools you can buy. I can appreciate why they are as expensive as they are also. But for a hobby, I want my tools to be as good as I can afford. I have a grizzly 8" parallelogram jointer. A dewalt lunchbox planer, Ridgid R4512 table saw. And I have a grizzly 14" bandsaw. All of them I consider to be hobby grade tools. But I get buy with them. I actually LOVE my jointer. The bandsaw is my least favorite. And my table saw is the best $500 dollar I have spent while still wishing I could afford a Sawstop. 

I guess where I am getting is, if the HF DC will suck up dust that those machines make, I really don't care what the brand is. 

BUT, if I have to spend a little bit more to provide the suction for those machines, I don't have a problem buying one of those grizzlys either. 

Working everyday with top of the line tools, and woodworking with hobby level tools, I can see both arguments.

Eric, just out of curiosity, why don't you use your canister?

I vent my fines directly out the back of my shop, so the canister went straight to the shed.

Agreed.  And don't think that I was lecturing or poo-pooing the purchase of mediocre tools if that's all you can afford or if your personal point of diminished returns falls short of others'.  I have a number of Grizzly tools, and I managed my expectations when I made the purchases.  They're not the best in the world, but when compared to the "next step up"...Powermatic, Jet, etc...I just didn't see a whole lot of additional value for the additional expense.

But I've used Harbor Freight stuff in the past, and almost without exception it performs at an unacceptable level or just flat out breaks long before it reaches a reasonable life-span.  So for me personally, the extra cost for the Grizzly did return enough value that I was willing to pay more.  That demarcation point is different for everyone depending on how much money one has and what level of performance is acceptable to him.

I have the DC mounted up on the back wall, in the corner, near the ceiling of my shop.  Main line into Super Dust Deputy, DC sits directly atop SDD.  The pipe that would normally go from the DC into the canister is turned into and out of the wall instead and blows, yes, directly out of the shop and into my neighbor's backyard.  Well technically it blows into my backyard, but if there's any wind it heads in their direction instead.  Which I'm fine with, because, as I've stated in the past, the guy is an a$$hole. :D

I won't sit here and tell you it's not a code violation...it probably is.  I never asked.  It's my house and I'll do what I wish with it.

Cool idea. Would you mind posting a pic? I was thinking of doing something similar.

I vent my fines directly out the back of my shop, so the canister went straight to the shed. Agreed. And don't think that I was lecturing or poo-pooing the purchase of mediocre tools if that's all you can afford or if your personal point of diminished returns falls short of others'. I have a number of Grizzly tools, and I managed my expectations when I made the purchases. They're not the best in the world, but when compared to the "next step up"...Powermatic, Jet, etc...I just didn't see a whole lot of additional value for the additional expense. But I've used Harbor Freight stuff in the past, and almost without exception it performs at an unacceptable level or just flat out breaks long before it reaches a reasonable life-span. So for me personally, the extra cost for the Grizzly did return enough value that I was willing to pay more. That demarcation point is different for everyone depending on how much money one has and what level of performance is acceptable to him.
I think it's one of those things where people really have to find their own way. Even though I am now purchasing top of the line tools (non-production, at least), I think I wouldn't appreciate them as much without knowing just how much better they are. When I was looking at bandsaw, I was having a hard time really distinguishing the quality and price difference between the Grizzly and HF. Not being dismissive, I genuinely didn't. With the quality issues I was reading about them at the time, I took the chance with the locally available product. It would be nice if everyone could compare things side-by-side to better judge what works best for them. Freight, return fees and etc don't make that a possibility a lot of time. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk