Collinsville, IL woodworking show

Eric.

Anyone gonna be there this weekend?  I'll be there on Saturday representing U-Pick Hardwoods.  If you plan to go, let me know...I'll have some free tickets* to hand out and I'll meet you out front to hook you up.  We won't have a booth this year but I'll be wandering around in jeans and a black polo...you'll most likely find me in the vicinity of the Lee Valley booth most of the time. :D  Hope to meet a few of you there!

*Supposedly.  Don't have tickets in hand yet, but they're supposed to be arriving late week.  So stay tuned for updates.

I have about 20 tickets to hand out.  I'll be there before the show starts at 10AM until well into the afternoon.  If any of you guys are planning to go tomorrow (Saturday), send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number so you can shoot me a text when you get there and I'll meet you out front to give you a ticket.

For anyone who is going today or Sunday or if you can't hook up with me for some reason...Craig, the owner of U-Pick Hardwoods, said to bring him your ticket stub and he'll reimburse you plus give you 5% off any purchase.  If you're not familiar with U-Pick Hardwoods, it's in St. Charles County right off of Hwy 94 between Kisker and Mid Rivers Mall Drive.  You should be able to find more information on the website...but I'll warn you, it's still a work in progress so there's a chance the site may be down when you go to it.  I'll post the address and phone number later...can't remember off the top of my head.

Hope to see a few of you guys tomorrow!

And, to anyone else that is coming to the show, make sure you stop by the ShowMe Woodturners booth and say hi.  I'll be there Saturday 10-2 so stop and introduce yourself.

Tim

edit:  I really don't have all that hair, so I hope you'll recognize me.  lol

Well the show was "meh," as expected.  Got to play with the Veritas stuff, bought a couple router bits and a TurboPlane, saw Tommy Mac and it was nice to chat with Tim again.  We decided that the show is definitely more geared toward the carpenter or DIY type than the furnituremaker.  If it weren't for Veritas and Woodpeckers, the Sawstop and Powermatic pimps, and the few guilds and clubs that come out...you might as well just go to Home Depot.  Still a good time to knock around with other woodworkers though.  Except it smells like old men's armpits in there.

I thought it was a little better than last year, primarily due to the seminars. Was very surprised to see Tommy Mac there this year as he wasn't on the schedule, his reaction to the guy who hated Norm Abram was amusing. Andy Chidwick (Woodworking Coach) was a pleasant surprise, never heard of him and his style is exactly what speaks to me. Poor Bob Settich, just can't seem to catch a break and get a quieter presentation area. Liked the last Sketchup seminar in the evening but it was too short (most people were already gone, anyway).

Vendors was predictable. Carter Products and Alex Snodgrass with his Band Saw Clinic was a very easy bet, Lee Valley / Veritas apparently still just doing the showroom thing by the bare bags I saw around ("You can order it? So can I."). Still wanting Arbortech but have no immediate major sculpting projects to warrant the purchase. Added a new Woodpeckers tool to my collection. Still nothing I wanted from the flea market on the east side of the floor. The open and bare areas on the west side make it obvious that vendors are dwindling. Everything else (Microjig stuff, Earlex, etc) I've already seen or they're speaking to the choir again on.

Overall, I liked it better than last year, as I said...not a destination event but if it's in your backyard, why not. I'm headed back tomorrow as I wanted to see more of Chidwick's seminars, and I have to talk to the Carter booth about why my bandsaw guides I bought from them lack the tool-less adjustment that the packaging and same model number prominently features.

7V1B2394.jpg

7V1B2402.jpg

7V1B2433.jpg

7V1B2484.jpg

7V1B2489.jpg

I wouldn't say a majority, but they did noticeably have a lot of space, yes.

Sigh, Carter...ran into a bigger issue with the guides they sold me, they weren't the right ones for my bandsaw (newer model). To no surprise, out of the all the models they did carry, they didn't have them for mine and they have to ship them. Annoying me once because I had planned to use that weekend to put the new bearings on to begin with, and twice as my bandsaw out of commission until I get the new ones (no point in putting the old ones back on and tuning the whole thing again).

As a "vendor" it felt a little different to me.  I was in the ShowMe Woodturner's Booth.  Glad I got to spend some time chatting with Eric.  That's always nice :)  I was only suppossed to work from 10-2 on Saturday but ended up being there almost all day.  Before the opening bell, I got to say hello to Tommy Mac.  He walked by the booth and stopped for a moment with "a show support helper".  And also before the show started, Jim Heavy from Wood Magazine (in the pic above) also stopped and chatted for quite a while with me.  He asked that I send in one of my pieces and do a write up on the technique to get published.  He said they are always looking for new project ideas and methods. Cool, I thought.

I didn't get an opportunity to do any lathe work until after my shift ended and I had more support because there was a steady stream of interest at the booth.  I found myself constantly talking with people about our items, our club and turning in general.

When I finally did get to walk around, I agree with Eric that the show felt a little more geared toward the general household builder of stuff rather than the cabinetmaker, but maybe this is the market.  The vendors are trying to sell their goods and they have a broader sales base selling to the Home Depot style customer.  The only item I purchased was a 1"-12 tpi tap at the "junk store" for $4.  It matches my Grizzly lathe spindle so I couldn't pass it up.

the "junk store"

:lol:  That is one gigantic pile of junk for sure.  Can you imagine having to pack that up and spread it back out city after city?  NO thanks.  I picked up a couple tid-bits of junk myself.  Couldn't help it.  They had a 12" phillips driver bit that I had to have and I found a little double-ended pick like you would see at the dentist...amazingly it was a Sheffield.  And a dowel center finder and a couple of crappy carving burrs.  They were made in Pakistan. :D

Those are some quality shots, EOTW...DSLR?