Legality of attaching journal articles to posts.

graffis

This thread covers two different questions with two different considerations.  I'm not a copyright lawyer so my opinion means nothing, but my gut tells me Kinko's refusal to reproduce copyrighted material is logical, albeit inconvenient and fairly stupid since if you purchased the information you should be able to do what you want with it for personal use.  But as Don pointed out, there's no way for them to know what your intentions are, so them erring on the side of caution makes sense.

As for linking articles to posts in a forum...the internet is the wild west...a basically unregulated abyss of information...a lawless melee of data.  If you don't want your copyrighted material referenced, linked, copied and pasted in every which way imaginable, then you best keep your copyrighted material off the internet.  I use whatever I may stumble across for forums, and haven't a trace of moral or ethical reservation about it.  Using it for financial gain...different story.  But using it for conversation's sake, no problem in my mind and good luck stopping me if you don't like it. :)

Indeed there is a problem with trying to get things banned from the internet as Barbara Streisand found out

• Like 1

Anyone who possesses so little talent yet such a large home, deserves to have her whereabouts shouted from Interwebs Mountain.  Here's a little copyright law-breaking just for giggles.  Take that wiki and Barbara Streisand!  I hated Beaches!

800px-Streisand_Estate.jpg

Do it right. Thats legal its just a link. Download it to your computer then re upload it. :)

At least that first link didn't claim your shop was theirs. They had the sense to say they were nice foreign woodworking shops with fancy dust collection. What I cannot figure out is if they were trying to say that your shop was using their dust collector. Or are you saying you made them change that page?

At least that first link didn't claim your shop was theirs. They had the sense to say they were nice foreign woodworking shops with fancy dust collection. What I cannot figure out is if they were trying to say that your shop was using their dust collector. Or are you saying you made them change that page?

No I dont care about the Asian site. I had a guy take photos from either here or Fine Woodworking and make his own blog claiming my work and shop as his own.

I think with WWJ it really boils down to having your cake and eating the whole thing. They sort of give permission but fall short of granting a limited use license. 

I don't understand the benefit to them. What was the end result after your wife got to him?

The site / blog is gone thats all I care about. Part of the reason I dont have a website for cabinet work. I only grant limited use to developers and contractors. Its to much work even with an automated scrubbing application to keep up with all the thievery on the internet. I had a guy  a few years ago set me up a nice site and within weeks every photo was on another cabinet makers web site. Learned my lesson along with the I told you so from the lawyer. Only post photos you don't care about. My wife's firm has a lawyer  with staff dedicated full time to a single large online pharmacy company doing nothing but IP theft. Its insane the amount of money lost every year to IP theft. I think we all do it in one way or another but I think there is always a way to post what you need without causing an issue. I dont care if you post pics of my mustard madness of a shop all over the web just dont say its yours.

I have Chinese-based bloggers with some of my Sketchup renderings for their plans pages. Kinda amusing, kinda irritating. Haven't decided what I really want to do about it, if anything. They are direct linking the picture, so in theory they are wasting some of my bandwidth.

The truth is indoor photography is difficult and high quality pictures of a kitchen or a table in context are hard to achieve.   

Its expensive. I have great camera equipment but no skill. You can easily pay $1000 for a good single professional photo and you still dont own all the rights. Most companies pay a guy to come in with a $45,000 Medium Format Hasselblad and then spend loads of time on post processing. Folks just dont realize what they are stealing. Hell its only a picture, right? 

This is why I am so careful about what I put on my own blog.  Pretty much all the images have come from me and my own camera.  I have a few photos that others took and was given permission to use on my blog, but that is the extent of it.

On the flip side, this is why I have been hesitant to release my plans from some of my projects.  I don't have any resources to prevent someone from taking them and claiming them as their own, or worse having them end up on Ted's Plans!

Thanks everyone for the lawerly advice and opinions. It seems pretty clear that referencing an article is the way to go. With respect to having a scaled drawing enlarged to actual size, I will definitely get the Big Print program (thanks Andrew) however, it would be nice not to have to tape the multiple sheets of paper together. Next time I go to Kinko's I'll make a copy of the page with the pattern, cut out the pattern, and request that the small sized cut-out be enlarged to whatever is necessary to get the 1:1 ratio I need. Maybe that will work.

As an afterthought, I assume that a journal publisher owns the copyrighted material contained within any particular journal by virtue of the fact that they have paid the contributing author for the manuscript. Not to put too fine a point on this topic, but what if a contribuor is not paid for the manuscript he submits to a magazine? Is it still copyrighted? After all, the publisher has not suffered any losses so how can they own the content? As we all know, there are well known contributors in journals like FWW. Are they all paid for their submissions or do they do it for free to advance the craft of woodworking? If I had a manuscript which explained a better way to accomplish a woodworking task, I'd be delighted to have it published and, as was stated in a previous post, would not care if the article was copied by readers a million times. Anyway, it's interesting stuff to muse about and thanks again for everyone's input.

As an afterthought, I assume that a journal publisher owns the copyrighted material contained within any particular journal by virtue of the fact that they have paid the contributing author for the manuscript. Not to put too fine a point on this topic, but what if a contribuor is not paid for the manuscript he submits to a magazine? Is it still copyrighted? After all, the publisher has not suffered any losses so how can they own the content? As we all know, there are well known contributors in journals like FWW. Are they all paid for their submissions or do they do it for free to advance the craft of woodworking? If I had a manuscript which explained a better way to accomplish a woodworking task, I'd be delighted to have it published and, as was stated in a previous post, would not care if the article was copied by readers a million times. Anyway, it's interesting stuff to muse about and thanks again for everyone's input.

This really comes down to what the agreement between the author and publication.  Most cases, if they are paying the author for the work, the publication will own the rights to it. 

I have Chinese-based bloggers with some of my Sketchup renderings for their plans pages. Kinda amusing, kinda irritating. Haven't decided what I really want to do about it, if anything. They are direct linking the picture, so in theory they are wasting some of my bandwidth.

There are relatively simple ways of stopping that. Might not be comprehensible to you (we all have other things to do in our lives), but your ISP/Hosting service will understand.

John

• Like 1

Rename the files the links will go dead.

There is a lot of 'fun' you can have with this. You can easily put in some logic to do a geo query of where the linking site is coming from and serve up different content.

• Like 1

I don't need to be paid to hold a copyright. If I wrote it, it is my intellectual property. I hold the copyright so my thousand hours of work does not become someone else's PhD.

...unless a contract specifies otherwise. My product from my day job (custom software) is generally covered by copyright law instead of a patent. When your contract spells out that the work you are performing is "Work for hire", the copyright is owned by the person paying for the work. If it is unspecified, it is retained by the creator. It's a concept that most people are very used to in print, but not used to in software.

Yes, you are correct. You can be contracted to write for someone who will assume ownership of the copyright. This is true of joke writers for SNL for example. I was responding to the claim about being in a journal but not being paid. The question I heard (may be representing) was whether you can claim copyright if you released it to a free publication. The answer is yes. You can have your poem printed in a free paper and still hold the copyright. This will keep someone from publishing in a book of poetry and selling your work without your permission.

As far as enlarging patterns, on a Mac I thought printing using the 'scaling' function might work.  

But after trying it, evidently you can scale back from 100% but cannot enlarge.

I like the idea of Acrobat or other software for its accuracy in immediate sizing but you have to buy stuff to put it in electronic format.  

I don't need a scanner so I don't have one.